Fixing the MyVMK Economy

Matty

knows a thing or two
So I wanted to share a good food for thought and get the opinion of others to see whether or not it's a good idea.

So as far as the retired/rerelease items I think there is a way to obtain them without it being too easy. I think it would be cool if we could utilize Haunted Mansion to solve this problem. I personally don't play POTC because playing with others stresses me out and causes me to do more poorly because of the pressure I feel in multiplayer games. I always play HM because it has the option of playing by yourself if noone else is there to join. You also win every game you play yourself by default because there is no other opposing teams so receiving crate keys and bonus creds for winning is a lot more plausible. Plus you get bonus credits 500 credits for winning 5 games, 1000 credits for winning 10 games, and 5000 credits for every 50 games won. I think that instead of the bonus credits we can win uncommon, rares, and ultra rare items depending on how many games you have won. It would make it a lot more fair to new players and to regular players who happened to miss flash sales or host events. Not to mention it would motivate more people to actually put effort into playing the game rather than just constant farming of items.
So instead of farming with friendly pirates, you're farming with hm, solely because it's the mini-game you prefer?? Sorry, I can't envision how this idea improves anything at all.

So instead of farming with friendly pirates, you're farming with hm, solely because it's the mini-game you prefer?? Sorry, I can't envision how this idea improves anything at all.
I don't get how it's farming? It's not like I just sit there and wait for the credits to go up. I still have to catch ghosts because that's the only way to earn them. If it were such a problem then playing alone wouldn't of been an option? Besides it's a bit more challenging that multiplayer because when you're doing multiplayer at least you have someone from the opposite team catching the other ghosts. In single player you have to not only catch as many ghosts as you can but you also have to watch out an find a way around the opposing ghosts. But yes it's the game I prefer because it has a singleplayer option. Not everyone wants to go play potc. First time I tried it I had people harassing me because I was terrible at it.

not everyone wants to play potc. i understand what they're trying to say but maybe was taken the wrong way. it doesn't have to solely be HM, but it was an example.

Matty

knows a thing or two
I don't get how it's farming? It's not like I just sit there and wait for the credits to go up. I still have to catch ghosts because that's the only way to earn them. If it were such a problem then playing alone wouldn't of been an option? Besides it's a bit more challenging that multiplayer because when you're doing multiplayer at least you have someone from the opposite team catching the other ghosts. In single player you have to not only catch as many ghosts as you can but you also have to watch out an find a way around the opposing ghosts. But yes it's the game I prefer because it has a singleplayer option. Not everyone wants to go play potc. First time I tried it I had people harassing me because I was terrible at it.
You also win every game you play yourself by default because there is no other opposing teams so receiving crate keys and bonus creds for winning is a lot more plausible.
Sure sounds like farming to me.

You may not personally elect to catch only one ghost and collect your keys and win bonuses, but that doesn't mean the feature can't be exploited. And you're suggesting that this be a way to obtain ultras?? Just ripe for it to be taken advantage of, then it becomes a problem, imo.

In no way am I suggesting that everyone should want to play pirates. Players should, and do play, whichever games they choose to. This idea benefits you, because it's the game you prefer to play.

Last edited:
You can't earn any bonuses with one ghost. You have to catch a minimum of 20 to get the bonus. I still don't see how it's farming because you don't get keys for every game you win. They're random I usually get one every 5-8 games I play. And no one is going to just sit there and catch 1 ghost waiting on keys. Each round averages about two minutes so who would waste their time just standing idle in the game when the logical thing to do is catch as many as you can per game to increase the payout of each game. It can't even be considered exploiting because you actually have to put effort into it! Playing by yourself is the same as playing against another you're still earning credits for the work you put in on each game. Even if there was a chance you could win an ultra on 50 games won it wouldn't be undeserving to the player because if every game adds up to around 4mins then playing 50 games means you put in 200 mins, and if that's not considered effort or determination then I don't know what is. But if the single player option is so offensive to you then they can make it to where you only get keys and ultras in multiplayer rounds. Or just get rid of the single player option in general.[DOUBLEPOST=1535913270][/DOUBLEPOST]And also it doesn't have to be just HM I was using it as an example because I'm not familiar with the payout of other mini games or if they provide bonus creds depending on wins. It could be applied to all of the mini games which would benefit whoever plays the game of their choice.

Matty

knows a thing or two
You can't earn any bonuses with one ghost. You have to catch a minimum of 20 to get the bonus. I still don't see how it's farming because you don't get keys for every game you win. They're random I usually get one every 5-8 games I play. And no one is going to just sit there and catch 1 ghost waiting on keys. Each round averages about two minutes so who would waste their time just standing idle in the game when the logical thing to do is catch as many as you can per game to increase the payout of each game. It can't even be considered exploiting because you actually have to put effort into it! Playing by yourself is the same as playing against another you're still earning credits for the work you put in on each game. Even if there was a chance you could win an ultra on 50 games won it wouldn't be undeserving to the player because if every game adds up to around 4mins then playing 50 games means you put in 200 mins, and if that's not considered effort or determination then I don't know what is. But if the single player option is so offensive to you then they can make it to where you only get keys and ultras in multiplayer rounds. Or just get rid of the single player option in general.[DOUBLEPOST=1535913270][/DOUBLEPOST]And also it doesn't have to be just HM I was using it as an example because I'm not familiar with the payout of other mini games or if they provide bonus creds depending on wins. It could be applied to all of the mini games which would benefit whoever plays the game of their choice.
Needing to catch 20 ghosts is an important piece of information that I wasn't aware of, having never played hm solo. And doing so does require at least a minimum amount of effort. You don't receive a key for winning every game of pirates either, keys are awarded in an ordered sequence determined by the number of wins for both games, respectively. You might be surprised what some players would do to gain an advantage for the opportunity to win ultras. Imo, any possible method of winning ultras from games should require a tbd amount of "effort" that in no way could be circumvented, easier said than done to implement.

There is a way to use HM for farming, but solo HM's only advantage is that you're the automatic game winner, it is definitely different. You still have to spend at least 5 minutes for the two rounds allowed, since, as far as I can tell and I have been playing a Ton of solo HM since I found it was available (before I was just upset because I thought the lack of life in the HM lobby meant I was going to have to go without my favorite VMK game), you can only play 2 rounds and each round is at least 2 1/2 minutes.

So say it's the weekend and you catch 60 ghosts solo (which is slightly difficult having to herd the opposite color ghosts around while keeping from possession and without having the other player to bring out more of your color ghosts,you're more likely to average 17-24 ghosts per round solo, but for example) then you're getting 1200 cred and 200 bonus for winning and Possibly a key. Solo wins also guarantee you are building your counter for the 500c, 1k, and 5k bonuses

Compared to friendly potc which from experience seems to run maybe a minute if you're working with a well-known navigation and optimize your movement to get both flags/return home. Depending on if its 2 or 3 rounds. 2 rounds have felt even shorter, but I haven't timed it like HM, yet, so I am mostly going off feeling for an estimate. And you don't always get a key, either, but I have been told key output is more common for potc and it's one of the reasons people prefer it to HM.

However, maybe those people hate HM. It is a bit like fighting through a giant time stopped glitch on the worst days..

Anyways, if it's also the weekend and you're playing you'll get around 500c, a little less on the losing side. With the amount of games you can play and the amount if credits that will build up to in the same amount of time you can play one solo HM game, I'm still not sure if HM or potc is making more without a sure measure of time, and I suppose to get a Real idea I'd need an average from more friendly players, but say it Is one minute per game, you're at at least 1400 credit after 3 minutes, whereas for that from solo HM you have to have gotten a lucky round both rounds to have caught 30 ghosts each time /added win bonus. This isn't taking multi win bonuses into account, however.

So, ten games of HM gets you to 15k following examples here, takes 50 minutes

If you can get a game a minute done, 50 games of potc will get you ~ 25×500+ 25×400 so 22,500 give or take

Considering the amount of effort for either game and that if the game isn't spawning as many ghosts, you're running into glitched invisible ghosts/invisible furniture, or any of the other number of glitches I've run into while playing HM (solo or otherwise) and you can't meet 30 ghosts a round, there's not much of a comparison. Farming HM games can't really compare, either, as there's a 1800 cred cap for ghosts caught. I don't know how common those games are for HM, either, having just been told about it recently

This math isn't exact without totally accurate numbers, so feel free to correct whatever. I feel like the numbers are close enough to get my point across, but I actually think friendly games take less time if every player constantly follows the same route

Anyways, this isn't meant as any condemnation. I personally wouldn't care all that much if friendly potc were to be banned, but it would be hypocritical to say those games are bad since I've enjoyed them myself

It is a request not to get rid of solo HM, though. I'm happy to have been lucky to find more people who are also up for some HM games every once in a while, but the lobby is definitely not as populated as the potc one

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are misunderstanding @riddleguy 's suggestion, he means like players can post their own events on the calendar for x amount of credits. Like lets say you have a friend who's birthday is coming up and you want to be a good friend and host them a party (Despite them saying "no pls") so you pay like example 50k credits to specially have a slot on the calender for your own event to celebrate said birthday but you're also announcing it to the world (of vmk).

I think this will work better then some other methods of self promotion I see sometimes like people trying to be like "Lol cute or boot in my room" in the chaos of an auction/trade room and if they really want to promote something with a big turnout in mind then that could be one way to sink credits. Of course I don't really see people paying 50k to post "cute or boot" on the calendar, but maybe a birthday or like graduation maybe. Then again it'll be the player paying the fee to decide what exactly they want to post on the calendar. In no way did he mean players having to pay credits to join a host event.
Yeah I wouldn’t pay 50k for a game lol... that’d be crazy. The question is now... would the people playing have to pay? Cause I wouldn’t really wanna pay that much for a game either. especially not 50k You have to think about poor people too. They should have an equal chance like everyone else. How can they play if they can’t afford it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I wouldn’t pay 50k for a game lol... that’d be crazy. The question is now... would the people playing have to pay? Cause I wouldn’t really wanna pay that much for a game either. especially not 50k You have to think about poor people too. They should have an equal chance like everyone else. How can they play if they can’t afford it?

Nah he's saying the option to pay to show the event hosted by a player, not for people to pay to show up or have to pay to host events in the first place

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have always been a fan of a black stitch hat and have already recolored it in all angles on photoshop. It actually looks great. Furthermore, I believe black recolored items do much better with the community (for example black flip hat).

[DOUBLEPOST=1533820267][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's another idea regarding keys/crates:

Selling these 'Lottery Crates' in the Emporium for a month at different prices.
  • (1) Bronze Crate - 5,000 credits (.25% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Silver Crate - 25,000 credits (2% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Gold Crate - 50,000 credits (5% chance of rare/ultra)
  • (1) Platinum Crate - 100,000 credits (15% chance of rare/ultra)
Items in the Lottery Crates that players may have the chance to win could include:
  • Stitch Hat
  • Princess Minnie
  • Sparrow Outfit/Pieces
  • Inferno
  • Green Baggy Pants
  • Black Traditional Mickey Ears
  • Firewalls
  • Pirate Quest Furniture
  • Bird Hat
Lottery Keys could be 'dropped' throughout the kingdom(much like crates). However, drops would be scarce. Lets say..... 4 keys dropped in a public room with players once every hour? Creating the opportunity to trade for keys and making them worth something instead of just handing them out like candy through mini-games.

Please critique this however you want... I would love input.

NOTE: Percentages/Prices are just placeholders and can obviously be changed.
This idea is interesting...but wouldn’t it lean to favor the rich people more for the more expensive crates? I know buying 1 crate that’s 100k would pretty much use up most of my money.

riddleguy

I think your misunderstanding my suggestion. As chansu said I mean pay to list an event on the calendar to promote a event your running NOT paying to play the game or partipate in an event. Also, 50k was just a example price chansu gave, i personally think thats a tad expensive for a listing price. I think the price to list an event should be 10k,enough to be a good money sink but not too terrible expensive.

As for being to able to win uncommon,rare and ultra rare items from HM. If this implemented it should be a thing for all games(jungle cruise,fireworks,HM,POTC). I believe players should be able to earn fairly across all mini-games and not be penalized cause they aren't a fan of one.

Semi along the idea of paying to make events. What about paying to play mini-games, room competitions, and some host events? If its a host event that has a good prize, I'd be willing to pay credits. I'm going to guess this will be an unpopular idea, and slightly risky with a small player base, but if it's implemented cautiously, I believe it would help to delete some of the credits from the game.
Also, room competitions have been popular in the past, and if people invest enough credits in buying new furniture items, it seems like a good way to delete those credits from the game.

Luminosity

Semi along the idea of paying to make events. What about paying to play mini-games, room competitions, and some host events? If its a host event that has a good prize, I'd be willing to pay credits. I'm going to guess this will be an unpopular idea, and slightly risky with a small player base, but if it's implemented cautiously, I believe it would help to delete some of the credits from the game.
Also, room competitions have been popular in the past, and if people invest enough credits in buying new furniture items, it seems like a good way to delete those credits from the game.
This is a nice idea, but I think that having to pay to get credits and items through games and host events makes the game much more unaccessible to new players. And I think we want to expand the community, so I'm not sure this is the best way to do this. To be honest, I'm not even sure there is a good way. Just my 2.5 cents!

This is a nice idea, but I think that having to pay to get credits and items through games and host events makes the game much more unaccessible to new players. And I think we want to expand the community, so I'm not sure this is the best way to do this. To be honest, I'm not even sure there is a good way. Just my 2.5 cents!
Yeah I don’t really know how new players would be able to make credits from games if they had to pay for them and possibly end up being broke because of it. How could people who have 0 get credits then?

Last edited:

Jay.

Then the rich would just get richer. There’s no way of fixing it unless you guys just want everything easily available and just toss the whole idea of “rares” out the window. It’s always gonna be a supply and demand thing.

SiriuslySaintlike

"I'm holy. Holey, Fred. Geddit?"
This might not be a major help to the economy, but earlier there were some ideas about credit sinks. Something that has already been in game, but hasn't worked since we've switched to new client was the ring pin. Those 25k and 50k pins add up. So getting those working wouldn't fix everything, but it might help a little. Plus I just miss them, lol.

Was thinking about this thread, and I think a marketplace could really help the economy on myVMK. I've made a thread about it here: https://forums.myvmk.com/threads/myvmk-marketplace-131-users-currently-in-support.80691/. It has gained 131 users in support so far.
I think a marketplace has a chance at improving the economy because when many people are selling the same item, a buyer will choose the cheapest one. Then item values might finally become a bit lower because if people want their items to be bought, they'll have to sell it cheaper than everyone else. I think it's an interesting concept that's worth a try. Please check out my marketplace thread in the link above and tell me what you think. Maybe we just need more users in support!

Was thinking about this thread, and I think a marketplace could really help the economy on myVMK. I've made a thread about it here: https://forums.myvmk.com/threads/myvmk-marketplace-131-users-currently-in-support.80691/. It has gained 131 users in support so far.
I think a marketplace has a chance at improving the economy because when many people are selling the same item, a buyer will choose the cheapest one. Then item values might finally become a bit lower because if people want their items to be bought, they'll have to sell it cheaper than everyone else. I think it's an interesting concept that's worth a try. Please check out my marketplace thread in the link above and tell me what you think. Maybe we just need more users in support!
:)

Just my personal opinion even though I’ve played OG VMK and have been back in the new version for only a few weeks, I don’t really like the fact that only players with an insane amount of credits are the ones who can afford the nice items, sometimes no matter how many games you play it isn’t enough to buy these items because they are so rare and people are selling them for such high prices.