Ignored for being new/less active

I've noticed that if you don't have rare clothes or magic a lot of people treat you pretty badly on this game. I get completely ignored almost every time I try to talk and get rude replies when I ask questions about the game. I'm not "new" to myvmk. I've had an account since 2015, I just haven't been active for a long time and cannot currently put in too much time in the game. I often feel like I don't even want to log on because people are so cliquey and mean.

I'm hoping everyone can realize that rare items do not make you superior to anyone else and everyone started somewhere. Please be nice to new or less active players because VMK should be a place, like we remember it used to be, where we can all have friends and feel comfortable.

Hey Jess! Just want to start by saying I am really sorry about the way you've been treated in the game. It's not acceptable and I'm glad you're speaking up about it. (Also sorry this response ended up being really long, I've just had a lot of thoughts about this issue lately.)

There are a few things I've noticed in the game recently. As a side note, I joined a little over a year ago. At first it was really fun -- I think there were a lot more new players at the time because there was a mass effort by admins to get players to come back via email. I found it really easy as a new player to make friends with other new players.

I also notice the events last year were a lot more team-based instead of individually-based. There used to be this event called "Battle the Staff" where players would be teamed up to play mini-games against staff members. I made one of my first friends after we successfully beat them in a round of POTC battle. There hasn't been one of these events in a LONG time and I wish they could be brought back. In June 2018, October 2018, and January 2019 there were crates in public rooms that people could collect for free, and it was easy to find a friendly group to collect them with. I thought it was the most chill way to interact with new people, and as a plus, people could get rare items regardless of whether or not they were "new". It was so casual and fun. The Dreams events could bring people together (but I also found that players could also become EXTREMELY aggressive about who was "allowed" to be in their PUBLIC room). Personally, I'm not the biggest fan. Either way, the number of collaborative events in this game has dropped significantly, making it much harder for less-active and new players to make friends organically.

Because of this shift in activities in-game, it becomes more obvious that many active players are more focused on obtaining items. It's all about accumulating credits as quickly as possible and getting the next hot pin/hat/furni. Some people aren't as interested in making friends, and maybe even find new players untrustworthy because they could be trolls/clones. This is an unfortunate result of having such a small number of active players.

I'd recommend joining the official discord server if you haven't already. I feel like people talk more casually there and it's easier to have a conversation with people you wouldn't normally meet. If you need the link, let me know. Also if you ever feel isolated, feel free to reach out. If anyone is being outright mean to you, don't be afraid to report someone.

Again, I'm sorry you've been treated so poorly. I hope you are able to have more positive experiences soon! This game is really great when you meet the right people!

tayyylorj

Hi Jess! I'm not a new player either but I totally get what you mean. You're not alone, I see this type of thing happen ALL the time. Most people are pretty polite but there have definitely been times where I've reached out or asked a question and people in their groups will continue talking as if I'm not even there LOL. I've seen it happen to others too, multiple times. It's definitely discouraging but unfortunately, it happens. The dynamic of the game is not the same as it was years ago but try not to let it get you down. I think it's important to remember that it's a game, myVMK at that, and there's no reason to be exclusive of anyone.
Say hello if you ever see me around, I'm always looking to meet new people! :)

goobie

violent delights
Frankly, anyone that ignores you because you lack certain items is probably not someone worth speaking to anyways. That being said, regarding the "cliquey and mean" thing. Well, yeah. There aren't a ton of people who play, so the community tends to be pretty easily split up into different groups that all have different relationships with one another. Depending on your level of activity, then of course it's going to be difficult to integrate yourself into a community of people that a) log on regularly, b) have logged on regularly in the past, and/or c) communicate with each other every day using platforms outside of the game.

I would highly recommend joining the official discord server if you've yet to do that. There will always be someone there who will answer your question(s). I think it also makes it easier to make friends in-game.

Amberrae

In-Game: Lucinda
hey! girl i completely understand how you're feeling. i've also been feeling like that as well. i've noticed everyone already pretty much knows each other. i've had my account since 2013 but haven't started playing constantly until recently. to be honest, i thought i was the only one that felt that way. i try to be social as much as i can but it's kind of hard sometimes because i have also been ignored & it's pretty discouraging. i've also tried to join the group for myvmk on discord but have been too shy to ask because of being ignored in the past. the game definitely isn't how it used to be but since i have been logging on more, i've been slowly making more friends but i've been kind of shy to because of my experience with the cliquey-ness. if i ever see you in the game i'll definitely make sure to say hello & friend request ya (:

i've also tried to join the group for myvmk on discord but have been too shy to ask because of being ignored in the pas
https://discord.gg/TWxHpf

don't be afraid to join! I've met a lot of new people just from interacting with them when we're both offline but on the discord app. if you need help figuring out how to verify your account, let me know!

waterfallglow

balance is important both in life and art.....
Hey, I wanted to reach out and say I am so sorry you have been treated poorly in this game thus far! It makes me frustrated and sad. I actually have seen this VERY thing with another new player recently that came into a room and was new. She was asking questions because she was new and not one player in the room gave her a serious answer in order to actually help out. They were just replies unlined with rude jokes and remarks. I ended up stepping in to help her out and answer some questions through private messages. I will say though, the game can be super fun as long as you come across the right people. There are many super nice players in game. To name a few (but not limited to).. therealbear, Rockstarolivia, Mickeyspop and so many others! I would hate to leave somebody's name out so sorry if I do. Anyway, I hope you can give this game another chance so you can experience the fun side to MyVmk. I also hope to see you in game and if you happen to see me, feel free to come and say hiya! I love visiting and chatting with people and if you have any questions (and I do not happen to be afk at the time) please let me know! <3

Thank you all for all the amazing support! Glad i'm not alone and there are great people out there. I've meet some great people recently in game and its kinda made me realize that it can get better. Thanks so much for the discord chat, I'll def join in on that! :)

<3 <3

Feel free to friend me any time you see me, while I'm not the chattiest person most times I'm always happy to help any way I can or answer any questions. If I ever ignore you it's never meant to be personal, more that I never saw your comment or question.

Aly R.

always_a_dreamer
I've noticed that if you don't have rare clothes or magic a lot of people treat you pretty badly on this game. I get completely ignored almost every time I try to talk and get rude replies when I ask questions about the game. I'm not "new" to myvmk. I've had an account since 2015, I just haven't been active for a long time and cannot currently put in too much time in the game. I often feel like I don't even want to log on because people are so cliquey and mean.

I'm hoping everyone can realize that rare items do not make you superior to anyone else and everyone started somewhere. Please be nice to new or less active players because VMK should be a place, like we remember it used to be, where we can all have friends and feel comfortable.
hii I am less active on the game as well and I tend to be on the quiet side as I like to just sit back and observe/enjoy. Pls feel free to DM me and we can meet up on the game! I'm usually alone too lol. Or say hi if you ever come across me! I'm always_a_dreamer in game. :)

Shrek

The Next Hokage
Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you've had some unfortunately unpleasant experiences in-game. I think most people covered all of the bases above. This game is host to a very small community of people, which naturally breeds grouping and cliques. Don't let the cliques discourage you though. I hope you continue to play because the game truly does bring back nostalgic feelings and there are some amazing people in the community. My name is shrek in game. You'll typically find me in the POTC lobby or in trade rooms. If you ever have any questions or just wanna play a few games of pirates, I'm always down! <3

PrincessOp

JessCat, also feel free to friend me if you see me in-game! I'm not new, but I've been away a looooong time (seems like a lot of us have come rushing back all at once). Everyone's been great to me so far, so trust me, there are many many nice folks in this game!