iOS Support: New MyVMK Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy

Head Administrator
Okay, so this poll is going to be handled a bit differently. I want you to read the post before voting, because there's important information in this post that you need to keep in mind before making your decision. Do NOT vote just because you have an iOS device and want to play on there. Even if we don't support iOS, we'll have some kind of limited support for iOS users at some point.

A while ago, I was writing a new client for MyVMK. I got kind of far with it. I stopped working on it after a while because of various reasons. One of those reasons was me wanting to rewrite it again using something different so I could support iOS devices.

Recently, I've been wanting to restart development of it, because getting rid of Shockwave can only be a good thing. However, making it work on iOS is giving me an issue.

In order to support iOS, I'm limited in how I write it. I have to use something restricted, which is a pain, in order to do it. This slows development down and because of how these solutions work, slows down performance across ALL operating systems and devices.

The iOS experience, if it's supported, won't be very good because of the lack of a keyboard. I will likely implement (not because of iOS, but because the client will support Android and Windows tablets/phones no matter what) some kind of quickchat feature, along with other things to help mobile users.

If I don't support iOS, other devices (such as Android, Windows, Linux, OSX - including Mavericks, ChromeOS, and any other device that supports WebGL) will still be supported. Development will be faster and easier this way though.

I want to support iOS, however to me it doesn't seem worth it. If enough people want it, I will do it but you can expect it to slow development of the new client down.

To vote, click this text. The poll is separate to encourage people to read before voting. If you don't want to read, please don't vote. If you vote yes to supporting iOS, after voting (or before, it's up to you really) please come back to this thread and post your reasons for voting yes. In this case, quoting another users reasons is fine if you agree with them. Feel free to post reasons against supporting it as well.

EDIT: I thought I'd point out that the only reasons this is an issue is because Apple refuse to give access to WebGL on their browsers, even though they already have it implemented. This would likely affect their application store. This is why every other platform isn't affected, I think even moden games consoles support it (meaning you'd be able to play on them, through their browsers).

If iOS isn't supported for the time being, how difficult will it be if you do down the road decide to support iOS?

WHO

I don't really want to see any reason to delay other things such as mini-games for example. I think those should be the main focus, not getting the game to work on apple products.

Amy

Head Administrator
If iOS isn't supported for the time being, how difficult will it be if you do down the road decide to support iOS?
Very, but I will likely write a simple client of some form for iOS devices. You'll be able to enter rooms and talk, and it'll be specialized for them. You won't be able to to do much else though.

----------

I don't really want to see any reason to delay other things such as mini-games for example. I think those should be the main focus, not getting the game to work on apple products.
This is separate to that. iOS support on the new client would not affect minigame development on the current client.

Kinglaser

My thoughts. Do the things that matter first, then if you are able to you could do the iOS.

Amy

Head Administrator
But if you're working on this then it's distracting you from mini-games, correct?
No, because working on a server is different to working on a client, sometimes I want to do one when I don't want to do the other.

You should support IOS by making a client for IOS. If you make focus on the main goal at hand, which is developing a new client, it should be the normal way first, that way it's easier on you and you aren't limited to what you can do.. Maybe you can make one for IOS separately? I dunno, it's just my thoughts (:

WHO

But if you're working on this then it's distracting you from mini-games, correct?
No, because working on a server is different to working on a client, sometimes I want to do one when I don't want to do the other.
I'm not sure how that makes sense. If you're focusing on this, then that slows down the development of mini-games, etc because you'll be working on this rather than those.

bobsbestgame

all handheld devices i own are iOS. With that being said I voted no. Where i would love the ability to play on an iPad, i see no point. It makes your job that much harder, and i feel like this small implementation is futile in the long run. The only thing i would love to have the ability to do is log in to my account on my iPhone or iPad to view my inventory, online friends, and guest rooms. Some kind of commodity such as Xbox smartglass, for example. Something along those lines. Also with all of that being said, I also only see this as a setback to getting the mini games up and running. Im not concerned about those really, but i just cant justify you taking the time to allow us any extra abilities that will cost you so much time and effort.

Amy

Head Administrator
You should support IOS by making a client for IOS. If you make focus on the main goal at hand, which is developing a new client, it should be the normal way first, that way it's easier on you and you aren't limited to what you can do.. Maybe you can make one for IOS separately? I dunno, it's just my thoughts (:
I'm not writing two clients.

I'm not sure how that makes sense. If you're focusing on this, then that slows down the development of mini-games, etc because you'll be working on this rather than those.
It makes sense because I don't work on something when I don't feel like working on it. I do this in my free time, and as a result I work on it when I want to. So, if I feel like writing something clientside I'll be doing that even if it's not MyVMK.

DarthTimmy

I would say no. I think that the vast majority of people who play simply use their laptop or desktop to access VMK. I'm sure there are also a fair amount of people who would like iOS support, but that number isn't enough to make sense to spend the required time on it.

Well I voted no, not sure if my vote should count or not as I do not have any IOS devices :D , really up to you as you are the one doing the work and if it's going to be a pain in the butt....

WHO

Okay I see what you're saying. However I'm going to vote no because I think there are other things that are much more important.

Quotes keep messing up idk

I feel that everything is fine the way it is. It would be kinda hard to play on IOS, too. Like how would you play minigames? It would be a little more difficult. I think you should just keep working on 1.0 :)

Amy

Head Administrator
My thoughts. Do the things that matter first, then if you are able to you could do the iOS.

I agree, if it isn't necessary or top priority, you can always do it later.
Not in this case, doing it later would require massive changes in code.

Killjoy

#1 on sta ff target list
I personally think that it would be difficult to play on IOS, ( as you said, the lack of a keyboard), but I think you could accomodate this by maybe making a IOS friendly minigame(or app) that you could play from like the home screen maybe. Then it would give you a code (or automatically) give you the credits you earned, just a thought, although it may be too difficult to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.