Is it racist to not be attracted to certain races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO

Is is racist to not be sexually attracted to certain races?

I would say no, but it's debatable. Discuss!

Exodus

I don't believe so. It's only natural for us to be attracted to our own ethnicity more over others. Everyone has different preferences, you can be more attracted to brown colored eyes or olive colored skins instead of blue colored eyes or dark colored skin, it's just preference.

Jasmine

Interesting question. I don't think so, but my mom tends to call it "color blind". I certainly don't find it shallow...

I don't believe so. It's only natural for us to be attracted to our own ethnicity more over others. Everyone has different preferences, you can be more attracted to brown colored eyes or olive colored skins instead of blue colored eyes or dark colored skin, it's just preference.
Actually, I'm hardly ever attracted to my ethnicity. I completely agree it's about preference, though. We can't help what we like.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
This question doesn't really make sense as the use of the word racism is being used incorrectly.

Definition of racism:
1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Not being sexually interested in member of a race isn't racist. However, it would be if you weren't attracted to a race because you felt their race was inferior to yours. So to put it simply, no, it would not be racist to not feel sexual attraction to certain races.

Exodus

Interesting question. I don't think so, but my mom tends to call it "color blind". I certainly don't find it shallow...

Actually, I'm hardly ever attracted to my ethnicity. I completely agree it's about preference, though. We can't help what we like.
Lol, that's not a first I've heard. But there's a reason why majority of the world population marry within their own ethnicity and how interracial couples are only popular in countries like America, Great Britain, and Australia (which nearly doesn't even make up 1/3 of the world population). Being raised in America (a melting pot of diverse races, ethnic groups, cultures, etc) allows one to be more open-minded with developing relationships with people outside of one's ethnicity.

Jasmine

Lol, that's not a first I've heard. But there's a reason why majority of the world population marry within their own ethnicity and how interracial couples are only popular in countries like America, Great Britain, and Australia (which nearly doesn't even make up 1/3 of the world population). Being raised in America (a melting pot of diverse races, ethnic groups, cultures, etc) allows one to be more open-minded with developing relationships with people outside of one's ethnicity.
Well, of course. This discussion mainly applies to those countries anyway, since the majority of players are from America or the UK. All three of the countries are pretty diverse population-wise, so yeah, it only makes sense to see a rise in interracial couples from those areas.

As for the overall question, I suppose Starship hit it right on the nail.

this question doesn't really make sense as the use of the word racism is being used incorrectly.

definition of racism:
1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Not being sexually interested in member of a race isn't racist. However, it would be if you weren't attracted to a race because you felt their race was inferior to yours. So to put it simply, no, it would not be racist to not feel sexual attraction to certain races.
yup.

----------

i agree as well. I'm black and i'm not really attracted to black men.

Last edited:

KarolynD

Impacting lives everywhere
Honestly, I have actually had this conversation with people recently, and imo I do find it racist. If you even look at the definition of racism it exactly fits what this question is asking. Finding someone unattractive due to their race is not just a preference, its just down right racist. You are legit saying "I find my own race more attractive, because another person's race is ugly".

Last edited:

Tay

Honestly, I have actually had this conversation with people recently, and imo I do find it racist. If you even look at the definition of racism it exactly fits what this question is asking. Finding someone unattractive due to there race is not just a preference, its just down right racist. You are legit saying "I find my own race more attractive, because another person's race is ugly".
this.
also, how are you going to say you find 100% of a certain race unattractive/undatable, unless you have some already preformed prejudice of appearance/person? it just doesnt add up lol.
this article is pretty interesting
https://studybreaks.com/culture/racist-dating-preferences/

Yeah, never been attracted to an Asian guy lol. Definitely is a matter of preference. Although I'm open to other ethnic groups, primarily been attracted to white or hispanic. Dating sucks, though. Available genuine, compassionate ones are rare gems.

This guy I dated accused me of being racist because of my dating preference. When in actuality, he was upset for being rejected because I didn't want a relationship with him. I told him off diplomatically :-)

KarolynD

Impacting lives everywhere
Yeah, never been attracted to an Asian guy lol. Definitely is a matter of preference. Although I'm open to other ethnic groups, primarily been attracted to white or hispanic. Dating sucks, though. Available genuine, compassionate ones are rare gems.

This guy I dated accused me of being racist because of my dating preference. When in actuality, he was upset for being rejected because I didn't want a relationship with him. I told him off diplomatically :-)
I mean if you rejected him based off his race, that is indeed racist and I pretty sure a majority of people would be upset about that. Side note on the whole preference thing, "I don't have any other friends of other races, its just a preference. I don't hire employees of other races, its just a preference. I don't go to places that are primarily frequented by members of another race, it's just a preference." All those things sound pretty racist to me lol.....

I mean if you rejected him based off his race, that is indeed racist and I pretty sure a majority of people would be upset about that. Side note on the whole preference thing, "I don't have any other friends of other races, its just a preference. I don't hire employees of other races, its just a preference. I don't go to places that are primarily frequented by members of another race, it's just a preference." All those things sound pretty racist to me lol.....
He was just disrespectful after our first date because I rejected his further advances.

Status
Not open for further replies.