Is it racist to not be attracted to certain races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder

Is it homophobic to not be homosexual/bisexual? I don't think so. So, it's not racist to not be attracted to/sexually attracted to a certain. race.

anyway

before you comment on here ask yourself this: what is it about an entire race that you find unattractive? their skin color? their culture? how can you disregard an entire race and not think its racist lol

if yall gonna be racist at least own it

KarolynD

Impacting lives everywhere

anyway

before you comment on here ask yourself this: what is it about an entire race that you find unattractive? their skin color? their culture? how can you disregard an entire race and not think its racist lol

I LIVE FOR IT, and THIS GIF!

It doesn't really work that way but okay LOL.
I mean, if liking the same gender is uncontrollable and the whole argument "you can't choose who you love" is valid for that, why isn't it applicable for race? Cause you can't choose who you love lol
It may be stereotypical, but it's most definitely not racist

KarolynD

I mean, if liking the same gender is uncontrollable and the whole argument "you can't choose who you love" is valid for that, why isn't it applicable for race? Cause you can't choose who you love lol
It may be stereotypical, but it's most definitely not racist
As wonder stated above gender and race are not even close to being the same thing. But for your reading pleasure I am going to attach an article. Hopefully it can better help explain this in ways that I can not.

https://studybreaks.com/culture/racist-dating-preferences/

I think it can be.
It really depends on your reasoning and how how you approach the dynamic. If for example you just find Asian men really attractive for whatever reason then I don't see anything racist about that - I mean some people may be interested in a particular culture/tradition, which may in turn create a strong attraction to the associated race/ethnicities. Others, may want to stay within their race so they can be in a situation where both people identify with the same culture and background as they may also want to have children that are raised the same way that they were raised, etc.... BUT if it is one of those scenarios where you can produce a list of reasons on why you won't date a particular race of men/women then you might want to do some soul searching because you might have some racist instincts swimming around inside of you - right beneath the surface. To categorize for example every black man as whatever you think makes one un-dateable, is in fact at the very least prejudice and discriminative. I mean I would normally (in my head) categorize people that feel the need to put down one race of men/women to justify why they like another race of men/women as prejudice.

That being said I am 1000% sure there are people who don't outwardly insult a whole race of women/men as an explanation for their preferences, yet STILL subconsciously have some prejudice AND racism tied to their attractions. I say this because there are plenty of people across the globe (probably most people) who have racism subconsciously tied to how they perceive beauty and it only makes sense (to me) that this would have some level of affect on personal attractions.

With all that being said.... I based my argument around the dictionary definition of racism, as i saw it used here. I think it is important to note that whilst it may be relevant to the underlying idea of racism as an ideology. There are various definitions of racism and they can change based on context, social issues, time period etc. Are dictionary definitions which are based on "popular" understandings always relevant? I don't think so... after all the English dictionary is a book written by white people to define white words. I definitely do not think the dictionary definition of racism is applicable in many of the social situations where racism is relevant in modern society anyway. I mean years of systematic racism embedded deep into the depths of our minds cannot just be summed up with “thinking your race is superior to another”.

<3

ChairmanMeow

anyway

I mean if you put off an entire race just based on their race, yeah that's racist. If you have a tendency not to be attracted toward a certain race you can't really help your biological attraction. My black friend is only attracted to white girls while i know many people who are attracted to those within their race only. For me, on trend I tend to be attracted toward certain races more than others but I wouldn't close the idea off completely because there are good looking people of every race.

I might just not have come across anyone who I felt an attraction to yet which I think what most people here are saying. It's more so a trend of attraction instead of being like no you're asian I don't date asians. It's more like I'm not attracted to this race on trend usually.

If you don't want to date just based on race and not attraction then that's racist because you have a superiority complex. Some people just tend to feel more for other races and I don't see a problem with it unless you close the idea off completely just at the thought of people looking different than you.

Also, she didn't mean gender and race are the same. They're obviously not. It's a comparison so you can imagine what she is trying to say. Gay people are attracted to men and not women while one indian dude might just only get the hots for indian girls because that's what he grew up around and his body learned to have an attraction toward.

Last edited:

KarolynD

I mean if you put off an entire race just based on their race, yeah that's racist. If you have a tendency not to be attracted toward a certain race you can't really help your biological attraction. My black friend is only attracted to white girls while i know many people who are attracted to those within their race only. For me, on trend I tend to be attracted toward certain races more than others but I wouldn't close the idea off completely because there are good looking people of every race and I might just not have come across anyone who I felt an attraction to yet which I think what most people here are saying. It's more so a trend of attraction instead of being like no you're asian I don't date asians. It's more like I'm not attracted to this race on trend usually.

If you don't want to date just based on race and not attraction then that's racist because you have a superiority complex. Some people just tend to feel more for other races and I don't see a problem with it unless you close the idea off completely just at the thought of people looking different than you.

Also, she didn't mean gender and race are the same. They're obviously not. It's a comparison so you can imagine what she is trying to say. Gay people are attracted to men and not women while one indian dude might just only get the hots for indian girls because that's what he grew up around and his body learned to have an attraction toward.
I think what you are misunderstanding is the line between racist and prejudice/discriminative. Although it may be prejudice/discriminative for a black man to say they would only date white women, it is not racist. In America (and most European colonized countries that have a majority have white/European decent), it is 100% definably impossible for anyone to be "racist" or display "racism", especially regarding this particular topic. If we were people of black/African decent in Africa (where the majority of the population is of black/African decent) and we were all saying that we are not attracted to white people it would fall under the category racist.

The point that Wonder is trying to make is, regardless if the OP knows that race and gender aren't the same, it shouldn't have been brought into this conversation. Therefore, her comment really holds no stature in this conversation. Mentioning this only further proves the point that many posters in this thread have been trying to prove about the misunderstanding of sexual attraction when it comes to other races. Although gender and race are both social constructed ideals, the premise of racism and homophobia in this instance just simply cannot be compared. I think if she had mentioned a cis not being interested in dating a trans person as an argument it would have held better in this conversation. Although the outcome would not have been different because that in itself is very transphobic.

"When you say that you wouldn’t date a certain group because of their race, how can that be anything but racist? Racism in dating preferences is a legitimate problem. The combination of Eurocentric beauty standards and racist vilification of minorities is the reason for finding people of color just “not your type.”

If someone calls you out for finding people of color less attractive or unattractive, don’t defend yourself by saying that it’s just a personal inclination as harmless as liking long hair or dimples.

Recognize that you have been influenced by a racist society that champions white beauty standards and supremacy, and maybe that you’re a part of it, too."
SITE SOURCE: https://studybreaks.com/culture/racist-dating-preferences/
Although, I know no one is perfect, this is something that should definitely taken into consider. I myself am guilty of some dating racial prejudice (due to the fact that I tend to date within the black community and have not really moved from that mindset). At the end of the day, I think the posters on this thread don't want to shame anyone or make anyone feel bad for their opinions of beliefs, but more so try to help educate and help other people understand things from a different perspective. But, I am curious though to better understand your view points and others. What about certain races tends you to be less attracted to them? Why do you single out single races instead of all races, besides the one you originate from?

As I stated on another post:
"I don't have any other friends of other races, its just a preference. I don't hire employees of other races, its just a preference. I don't go to places that are primarily frequented by members of another race, it's just a preference."
Where do we draw the line between what is and what isn't acceptable? At the end of the day we are all different, and yes we are granted our right to our own opinions, but should we really allow those opinions to stop us from treating each other the way we would want to be treated?

Last edited:

ChairmanMeow

I think what you are misunderstanding is the line between racist and prejudice/discriminative. Although it may be prejudice/discriminative for a black man to say they would only date white women, it is not racist. In America (and most European colonized countries that have a majority have white/European decent), it is 100% definably impossible for anyone to be "racist" or display "racism", especially regarding this particular topic. If we were people of black/African decent in Africa (where the majority of the population is of is of black/African decent) and we were all saying that we are not attracted to white people it would be racist.

The point that Wonder is trying to make is, regardless if the OP knows that race and gender aren't the same, it shouldn't have been brought into this conversation. Therefore, her comment really holds no stature in this conversation. Mentioning this only further proves the point that many posters in this thread have been trying to prove about the misunderstanding of sexual attraction when it comes to other races. Although gender and race are both social constructed ideals, the premise of racism and homophobia in this instance just simply cannot be compared. I think if she had mentioned a cis not being interested in dating a trans person as an argument it would have held better in this conversation. Although the outcome would not have been different because that in itself is very transphobic.
Honestly, I have actually had this conversation with people recently, and imo I do find it racist. If you even look at the definition of racism it exactly fits what this question is asking. Finding someone unattractive due to their race is not just a preference, its just down right racist. You are legit saying "I find my own race more attractive, because another person's race is ugly".
But you said it was racist here to find a race unattractive so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Bill_Murray

Well the best part about this whole thing is that even if others think it’s racist, you can date and not date whomever you want. And if others think it’s racist, they are allowed to have their opinion.

*hums national anthem*

P.S. if not wanting to date a trans person is transphobic, then I am indeed transphobic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarolynD

But you said it was racist here to find a race unattractive so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Yes I did, because there are a few post on this thread discussing "white/European decent individuals" and their preferences. I mean why else would you not date another race if you didn't find something about them unattractive/ugly.
I don't think so... I only date Caucasian people, Its just preference i guess.
Stuff like this is only proving the point the things stated in the article I posted. As you can read in this thread numerous people posted a lot of deflecting answers that don't really answer the question at hand. I mean I even asked you numerous questions within my post to try and better understand your viewpoint that you didn't feel the need to answer for some reason or another. I think the points I stated make a lot of sense for anyone who has a full understanding of what it means to truly be racist and the difference it has between being prejudice/discriminative.

I feel as though Wonder hit the nail on the head with this post, and just further proving the point the few posters on this thread have tried to make. Points that numerous people haven't really addressed and questions that really haven't been answered. Instead numerous posters such as yourself choose to post deflecting answers that don't really do anything for the conversation. It's very similar like trying to justify American/European chattel slavery by saying "it was just the time period" or "it was a majority of africans that sold other africans into slavery".

I also thinking reading this article (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...please-stop-pretending-reverse-racism-is-real) might better help understand my view point on racism and why I said some of the things I said.

Well the best part about this whole thing is that even if others think it’s racist, you can date and not date whomever you want. And if others think it’s racist, they are allowed to have their opinion.

*hums national anthem*

P.S. if not wanting to date a trans person is transphobic, then I am indeed transphobic.

Yes Bill, this is true, but it doesn't really help answer the question on this thread (especially considering that this country is built of the back of racism and discrimination).... expect further prove the whole "its just a preference" racist line that those of European decent try shove down the throat of other minorities. But trust and believe Bill, we know where you stand on the scale of ignorance and white privilege lol.

Last edited:

ChairmanMeow

Yes I did, because there are a few post on this thread discussing "white/European decent individuals" and their preferences. I mean why else would you not date another race if you didn't find something about them unattractive/ugly.
Yeah but I find people within my own race unattractive. Attraction isn't actually a choice. It's biological. If someone is attracted to only white people but they're not really treating anyone differently it's not really racist. People can date who they want and no one can really force anyone to be attracted to anyone.
It seems like to me you're saying it's only wrong if it's a person who's white who feels this way. If people aren't attracted to one race, there's just something about the general look that doesn't do it for them or maybe something about the race that only attracts them.

KarolynD

Yeah but I find people within my own race unattractive. Attraction isn't actually a choice. It's biological. If someone is attracted to only white people but they're not really treating anyone differently it's not really racist. People can date who they want and no one can really force anyone to be attracted to anyone.
It seems like to me you're saying it's only wrong if it's a person who's white who feels this way. If people aren't attracted to one race, there's just something about the general look that doesn't do it for them or maybe something about the race that only attracts them.
Well by your own logic, Karolyn, you are being racist by saying that you find people within your own race unattractive.

Neither of you have clearly taken the time to read any of the articles I have posted or actually tried to understand anything I have tried to say lol.... but I digress. Yes everyone is entitled to their "ignorances" but that doesn't make it right. No one is trying to "force" anyone to be attracted to anyone.

Bill_Murray

I don’t care about the biased articles you want me to read. I’m arguing that your point is illogical in that you contradict yourself. That or you accept the fact that you yourself are being racist by not finding those within your race attractive.

KarolynD

I don’t care about the biased articles you want me to read. I’m arguing that your point is illogical in that you contradict yourself. That or you accept the fact that you yourself are being racist by not finding those within your race attractive.

Lol, there goes that wonderful Illinois education proving its worth.

ChairmanMeow

Neither of you have clearly taken the time to read any of the articles I have posted or actually tried to understand anything I have tried to say lol.... but I digress. Yes everyone is entitled to their "ignorances" but that doesn't make it right. No one is trying to "force" anyone to be attracted to anyone.
I am trying to understand what you're saying and it's coming off illogical to me. I read the title and lost interest. You can be racist to anyone, even white people. All you have to do is believe your race is superior. Minorities have obviously been through more hell in history but it's hypocritical to say you can't be racist to white people and treat them the way no one else wants to be treated. You seem to be trying to make points and not really replying to others points so I feel this is a bit of a hypocrisy here. It's not that people think a race is ugly. It's more like so and so isn't usually attracted to black people but still thinks Kanye West is good looking. Not being attracted to someone doesn't mean they're ugly at all. I went on a date with a guy recently and I found him good looking but found I didn't feel an attraction. No one is saying they have anything against a race just that they don't feel attracted to them which isn't something people can really choose. So whatever your point is it doesn't really seem to make much sense given that we all have different attractions to different people and if you are agreeing with this points I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with.

KarolynD

I am trying to understand what you're saying and it's coming off illogical to me. I read the title and lost interest. You can be racist to anyone, even white people. All you have to do is believe your race is superior. Minorities have obviously been through more hell in history but it's hypocritical to say you can't be racist to white people and treat them the way no one else wants to be treated. You seem to be trying to make points and not really replying to others points so I feel this is a bit of a hypocrisy here. It's not that people think a race is ugly. It's more like so and so isn't usually attracted to black people but still thinks Kanye West is good looking. Not being attracted to someone doesn't mean they're ugly at all. I went on a date with a guy recently and I found him good looking but found I didn't feel an attraction. No one is saying they have anything against a race just that they don't feel attracted to them which isn't something people can really choose. So whatever your point is it doesn't really seem to make much sense given that we all have different attractions to different people and if you are agreeing with this points I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with.
You really can't be racist against white people. To be racist against white people that would be that white people have would to be a minority (relatively speaking in this country.) White people not understanding the dynamics of racism is a common theme considering they are the one doing the racism. In this instance the ideology of have a straight person determining what is and what isn't homophobic, or a cis person determining what is or isn't transphobic. It simply just doesn't work the way. The oppressor doesn't really get to determine what it means to be oppressed because they are not oppressed lol.

With all that being said.... I based my argument around the dictionary definition of racism, as i saw it used here. I think it is important to note that whilst it may be relevant to the underlying idea of racism as an ideology. There are various definitions of racism and they can change based on context, social issues, time period etc. Are dictionary definitions which are based on "popular" understandings always relevant? I don't think so... after all the English dictionary is a book written by white people to define white words. I definitely do not think the dictionary definition of racism is applicable in many of the social situations where racism is relevant in modern society anyway. I mean years of systematic racism embedded deep into the depths of our minds cannot just be summed up with “thinking your race is superior to another”.
un·at·trac·tive
ˌənəˈtraktiv/
adjective

1. not pleasing or appealing to look at.
    synonyms: plain, ugly, unappealing, unpleasant, hideous, unlovely, unprepossessing, unsightly, ghastly, revolting, repellent, repulsive, repugnant; More
It seems as though ugly and unattractive are the same things. No one here was really discussing peoples attractions to various things other than not being attracted to short hair and not being attracted to someone based on their racist are completely to different things. But in my opinion saying "I'm just not attracted to their race" doesn't really help clarify anything.

I am not really disagreeing with anyone, I am just stating my opinions that have been backed up with outside sources. If you can please point out where you feel like my responses have become illogical or I haven't really spoke on anything that has been addressed, I would be happy to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.