Is it racist to not be attracted to certain races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChairmanMeow

You really can not be racist against white people. To be racist against white people that would be that white people have would to be a minority (relatively speaking in this country.) White people not understanding the dynamics of racism is a common theme considering they are the one doing the racism. In this instance the ideology of have a straight person determining what is and what isn't homophobic, or a cis person determining what is or isn't transphobic. It simply just doesn't work the way. The oppressor doesn't really get to determine what it means to be oppressed because they are not oppressed lol.

It seems as though ugly and unattractive are the same things. No one here was really discussing peoples attractions to various things other than not being attracted to short hair and not being attracted to someone based on their racist are completely to different things. But in my opinion saying "I'm just not attracted to their race" doesn't really help clarify anything.

If you can please point out where you feel like my responses have become illogical or I haven't really spoke on anything that has been addressed, I would be happy to clarify.
By definition you can.

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

It says nothing about having to be a minority. You can believe your race is superior still. Granted, white people deal with way less racism but the concept exists. I'm not really oppressing anyone so I don't relate to this statement. There are definitions defined for everyone already to give us all a general basis but yeah everyone's going to be offended by different things from individual to individual. And no, they're not. Attraction is something more chemical. I've been attracted to people who aren't by standard very good looking to most. I would never cut off dating to any race because I don't know who I might be attracted to so I will give you that it seems silly to cut off all possibility. If you are going to be like I would never date koreans, they're ugly, that's racist. If you just generally haven't felt an attraction toward them and usually find yourself attracted to another that's just a preference of a look. People from the same race tend to have similar genes as one might agree and someone might just have a preference for the look. You said you date black guys usually but you're arguing that having that preference is racist which I don't understand. If you're not cutting off white or asian or any other race of people having any chance of dating you just because of their skin color, then you're fine. You can find someone good looking without feeling any romantic feelings.

KarolynD

Impacting lives everywhere
By definition you can.

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

It says nothing about having to be a minority. You can believe your race is superior still. Granted, white people deal with way less racism but the concept exists. I'm not really oppressing anyone so I don't relate to this statement. There are definitions defined for everyone already to give us all a general basis but yeah everyone's going to be offended by different things from individual to individual. And no, they're not. Attraction is something more chemical. I've been attracted to people who aren't by standard very good looking to most. I would never cut off dating to any race because I don't know who I might be attracted to so I will give you that it seems silly to cut off all possibility. If you are going to be like I would never date koreans, they're ugly, that's racist. If you just generally haven't felt an attraction toward them and usually find yourself attracted to another that's just a preference of a look. People from the same race tend to have similar genes as one might agree and someone might just have a preference for the look. You said you date black guys usually but you're arguing that having that preference is racist which I don't understand. If you're not cutting off white or asian or any other race of people having any chance of dating you just because of their skin color, then you're fine. You can find someone good looking without feeling any romantic feelings.
I updated my post before you were able to fully read it and reply. I just find it interesting that you will accept the white created definition of racist/racism but are unable to accept the universal definition of unattractive. I think you are taking what I am saying to a personal level instead of in a general sense. I really think you should remove yourself from the equation and think about the broad spectrum of the conversation at hand, because not one thing I have said is personally directed at you. You are not the face of the entire group of people. I also feel as though you are trying to compare one on one interactions to the actual conversation at hand which is a race as a whole.

In regards to my personal preference, I stated that because I wanted the majority to understand where I am coming from but also to acknowledge the fact that I know it is wrong. But then again, you cant really be racist to white people, especially not in countries where white people are the majority so I digress.

ChairmanMeow

I updated my post before you were able to fully read it and reply. I just find it interesting that you will accept the white created definition of racist/racism but are unable to accept the universal definition of unattractive. I think you are taking what I am saying to a personal level instead of in a general sense. I really think you should remove yourself from the equation and think about the broad spectrum of the conversation at hand, because not one thing I have said is personally directed at you. You are not the face of the entire group of people. I also feel as though you are trying to compare one on one interactions to the actual conversation at hand which is a race as a whole.

In regards to my personal preference, I stated that because I wanted the majority to understand where I am coming from but also to acknowledge the fact that I know it is wrong. But then again, you cant really be racist to white people, especially not in countries where white people are the majority so I digress.
White created definition? It's just in dictionaries. IDK who wrote them all but I guess the opinion can vary. Regardless of opinion on the definition we can probably all just agree that we should treat each other all with respect and not look down on anyone for their race. I am not taking anything personal, just discussing. I am just trying to use myself as an example to make the point to you. I know it's not personally directed at me but for the sake of the topic discussion: just being attracted to certain races, it's relevant. I am speaking of race as a whole.
Okay let me explain what I mean with unattraction. I am not referring to being unattractive as an individual. That would be basically saying ugly so if that's what you seeing I get that.
This topic is referring to sexual attraction as in do you normally swoon over guys of this race or gals. Do you usually pursue one race over the other? I personally think subconsciously we might all be guilty of this. You can find someone to be beautiful but not feel any desire. That is the point i am trying to explain.
There are people who are racist and cut off certain races completely out of some sort of hate which is very sad. Cutting off dating to white people would be nearly the same as cutting it off to black people in my opinion based solely on having something against their skin color. It's still racist because the person in question would feel that their race is better than theirs and can treat the other as inferiors. This doesn't happen with white people much at all which explains why a lot of people don't think racism against whites exists. it doesn't happen much at all especially in white-dominated countries like you said. White people are born with the privilege of not even knowing they're privileged here so how could anyone even be racist? Well the concept would still exist because it would be going a step backward to deny a race the right of being treated fairly by essentially putting out the notion you can look down at them as inferiors, treat them differently ( though it's not happening really, it's just the concept) and it be considered okay.

My black friend is only attracted to white girls while i know many people who are attracted to those within their race only.
I don't understand how these two points are used as a comparative notes. Is it really logically to compare someone who ONLY dates outside their race to someone who ONLY dates inside their race, when the dynamics that would allow someone to date within their own race is clearly complex and accepted by most people I'd assume, for example: likely to be surrounded by those within your race, cultural and traditional reasoning, likely a high exposure to media that is surrounded around your own race, etc. - And these examples ofc can go very deep. - so if this can be accepted then it should equally be accepted that the reasoning for ONLY dating a race outside your own race is equally as complex and with further digging to understand what makes this complex often leads to some level of negative cogitation to you own race or the race (or the race you are not attracted to).

Using a Black man that is ONLY attracted to white women as an example is meaningless imo. I mean had you said he had only dated white women in the past then I’d get how you are using what he is attracted to as a point for argument here. I mean but to say he EXCLUSIVLY will only dates this one race, leads me to believe he had openly said this to you otherwise how could you make an assumption on what he is ONLY attracted to based on whom you know him to have dated. Anyone who feels the need to broadcast whom they will ONLY date (meaning they already have it set in their mind that this is who like and don’t like) clearly have some negative feelings to other races other races, rather than it just so happening to find themselves dating blah blah blah due to their random attraction to said people who all happened to be blah blah or blah

Yeah but I find people within my own race unattractive.
Please can you explain this dynamic to me. I don’t understand how you can find ALL people within you own race unattractive or know that u will have no attraction to them. Is there a cultural element to this? - as in you have a distaste for you own culture? Then again every race has multiple cultures within them so that may make no sense. I’m not sure what your race is but I know this has been a highlighted topic in the black community in the past and I know many of the dynamics that fall within that bracket. I mean usually when debating this top in black community if often leads to some form of conclusion that one may have some underlying self-hatred. Being racist to you own race is very possible. I could explain how this conclusion is found in our debate often highlighting media representations and slave/colonial complexes and legacies but I see no point. Could you help me understand this? Or is it simply “I don’t like what I don’t like”. To me very few things are ever that simple.

By definition you can.

White created definition? It's just in dictionaries.
I’m going to quote myself below on this one if that is ok.

With all that being said.... I based my argument around the dictionary definition of racism, as i saw it used here. I think it is important to note that whilst it may be relevant to the underlying idea of racism as an ideology. There are various definitions of racism and they can change based on context, social issues, time period etc. Are dictionary definitions which are based on "popular" understandings always relevant? I don't think so... after all the English dictionary is a book written by white people to define white words. I definitely do not think the dictionary definition of racism is applicable in many of the social situations where racism is relevant in modern society anyway. I mean years of systematic racism embedded deep into the depths of our minds cannot just be summed up with “thinking your race is superior to another”.
WITH THAT BEING SAID. I think the argument for someone to say it is incorrect to for example say a black person is racist to a white person, rather than using the term discriminative or prejudice to a white person CAN be explained with the overused dictionary definition. The missing component here would be "superiority". Often if a black person were to say "I hate white people" or to treat them badly based on race, it most likely has nothing to do with thinking that they are superior but for a whole other list of complex reasons (Not that any of them would ever make it right). For example there is a huge argument for "Reverse racism" in South Africa (mostly by white SA who feel oppressed), complaining about the multiple political initiatives put in place to "empower" the black population after the terrible era of apartheid. For example - Job positions that will only employ from the black population known as BEE. However many people argue in return whilst it may be clearly prejudice or "Positive discrimination" It is not racist... because it has nothing to really to do with thinking that the black population is superior, but rather a response to history and social circumstances or sadly, just a general or random distaste or dislike for the white people there.

KarolynD

White created definition? It's just in dictionaries. IDK who wrote them all but I guess the opinion can vary. Regardless of opinion on the definition we can probably all just agree that we should treat each other all with respect and not look down on anyone for their race. I am not taking anything personal, just discussing. I am just trying to use myself as an example to make the point to you. I know it's not personally directed at me but for the sake of the topic discussion: just being attracted to certain races, it's relevant. I am speaking of race as a whole.
Okay let me explain what I mean with unattraction. I am not referring to being unattractive as an individual. That would be basically saying ugly so if that's what you seeing I get that.
This topic is referring to sexual attraction as in do you normally swoon over guys of this race or gals. Do you usually pursue one race over the other? I personally think subconsciously we might all be guilty of this. You can find someone to be beautiful but not feel any desire. That is the point i am trying to explain.
There are people who are racist and cut off certain races completely out of some sort of hate which is very sad. Cutting off dating to white people would be nearly the same as cutting it off to black people in my opinion based solely on having something against their skin color. It's still racist because the person in question would feel that their race is better than theirs and can treat the other as inferiors. This doesn't happen with white people much at all which explains why a lot of people don't think racism against whites exists. it doesn't happen much at all especially in white-dominated countries like you said. White people are born with the privilege of not even knowing they're privileged here so how could anyone even be racist? Well the concept would still exist because it would be going a step backward to deny a race the right of being treated fairly by essentially putting out the notion you can look down at them as inferiors, treat them differently ( though it's not happening really, it's just the concept) and it be considered okay.
Well considering that Merriam-Webster is an American company, I feel that it is implied that it is a "white publication".

"This topic is referring to sexual attraction as in do you normally swoon over guys of this race or gals. Do you usually pursue one race over the other? I personally think subconsciously we might all be guilty of this. You can find someone to be beautiful but not feel any desire. That is the point i am trying to explain."

Although I understand where you are coming from, in regards to this conversation I just feel like its enforcing the Eurocentric beauty standards that are being pushed into the society (I.E. North America and Europe). Those beauty standards are what I feel like play a part of the whole racist dating preference issue. Although we are subconsciously wired to certain things does that mean its right/okay? I mean we as human beings are also subconsciously wired to be violent/killers so I mean.... I don't really understand the point you are trying to make there. Also, I feel like you saying someone can be beautiful but not desirable is kind of like telling someone "oh you're pretty, for a black girl".

"Cutting off dating to white people would be nearly the same as cutting it off to black people in my opinion based solely on having something against their skin color. It's still racist because the person in question would feel that their race is better than theirs and can treat the other as inferiors. This doesn't happen with white people much at all which explains why a lot of people don't think racism against whites exists. it doesn't happen much at all especially in white-dominated countries like you said. White people are born with the privilege of not even knowing they're privileged here so how could anyone even be racist?"

Except you can't really make the superior inferior...... This doesn't happen in a white dominated society because the white opinion is really the only opinion that matters when it comes to stuff like this lol. I feel as though you are trying to argue that the system of racism applies to everyone, which it does not. Think of it this way, a game host decides to host a game. They create the rules, moderators what happens during the game (enforces the rules), and pick the players. They never actually play the game, therefore the rules and limitations do not apply to them. White people in this country are the host, and the minorities are the players. Does that concept make a little more sense to you? I would classify your question as ignorant because is "not knowing" really a excuse for anything. Within the world we live in there are may ways to gain different opinions and this knowledge is easily accessible. It's not like you have to climb to the top of a mountain and raid a tomb to figure this stuff out lol.

"Well the concept would still exist because it would be going a step backward to deny a race the right of being treated fairly by essentially putting out the notion you can look down at them as inferiors, treat them differently ( though it's not happening really, it's just the concept) and it be considered okay."

It's not that it would be considered okay, it's just that it would not be considered as racist. Things like these fall under the classification of prejudice/discrimination.

I don't understand how these two points are used as a comparative notes. Is it really logically to compare someone who ONLY dates outside their race to someone who ONLY dates inside their race, when the dynamics that would allow someone to date within their own race is clearly complex and accepted by most people I'd assume, for example: likely to be surrounded by those within your race, cultural and traditional reasoning, likely a high exposure to media that is surrounded around your own race, etc. - And these examples ofc can go very deep. - so if this can be accepted then it should equally be accepted that the reasoning for ONLY dating a race outside your own race is equally as complex and with further digging to understand what makes this complex often leads to some level of negative cogitation to you own race or the race (or the race you are not attracted to).

Using a Black man that is ONLY attracted to white women as an example is meaningless imo. I mean had you said he had only dated white women in the past then I’d get how you are using what he is attracted to as a point for argument here. I mean but to say he EXCLUSIVLY will only dates this one race, leads me to believe he had openly said this to you otherwise how could you make an assumption on what he is ONLY attracted to based on whom you know him to have dated. Anyone who feels the need to broadcast whom they will ONLY date (meaning they already have it set in their mind that this is who like and don’t like) clearly have some negative feelings to other races other races, rather than it just so happening to find themselves dating blah blah blah due to their random attraction to said people who all happened to be blah blah or blah

Please can you explain this dynamic to me. I don’t understand how you can find ALL people within you own race unattractive or know that u will have no attraction to them. Is there a cultural element to this? - as in you have a distaste for you own culture? Then again every race has multiple cultures within them so that may make no sense. I’m not sure what your race is but I know this has been a highlighted topic in the black community in the past and I know many of the dynamics that fall within that bracket. I mean usually when debating this top in black community if often leads to some form of conclusion that one may have some underlying self-hatred. Being racist to you own race is very possible. I could explain how this conclusion is found in our debate often highlighting media representations and slave/colonial complexes and legacies but I see no point. Could you help me understand this? Or is it simply “I don’t like what I don’t like”. To me very few things are ever that simple.

I’m going to quote myself below on this one if that is ok.

WITH THAT BEING SAID. I think the argument for someone to say it is incorrect to for example say a black person is racist to a white person, rather than using the term discriminative or prejudice to a white person CAN be explained with the overused dictionary definition. The missing component here would be "superiority". Often if a black person were to say "I hate white people" or to treat them badly based on race, it most likely has nothing to do with thinking that they are superior but for a whole other list of complex reasons (Not that any of them would ever make it right). For example there is a huge argument for "Reverse racism" in South Africa (mostly by white SA who feel oppressed), complaining about the multiple political initiatives put in place to "empower" the black population after the terrible era of apartheid. For example - Job positions that will only employ from the black population known as BEE. However many people argue in return whilst it may be clearly prejudice or "Positive discrimination" It is not racist... because it has nothing to really to do with thinking that the black population is superior, but rather a response to history and social circumstances or sadly, just a general or random distaste or dislike for the white people there.
I agree with a lot of the points that I have been trying to make, but I think you may have done a better job explaining my points. In regards to someone who wouldn't date within there own race, I am someone who is guilty in an particular instances. Although yes, it is backed by some self hatred and prejudice, I simply just do not identify within my born culture/race. This is why I have strayed away from entering relationships with those of my my own born race. I don't really agree without a lot of the views, morals, and opinions of those of my own race, so there for I tend to me interested in those with the same ideals as me.

Last edited:
Well the best part about this whole thing is that even if others think it’s racist, you can date and not date whomever you want. And if others think it’s racist, they are allowed to have their opinion.
Very true! In the end everyone should just do and date whoever the heck they want! That being said it is still an interesting topic to debate. Any friendly debate is great, it allows us to dissect cultural, sociological and physiological aspects that make up our society. Also, it can be fun. :)

*hums national anthem*
THIS MADE ME LOL. I'm not American but the controversial nature of the American National Anthem made this so ironic to be placed in a race thread! I mean ofc you're not humming the "forgotten" third stanza of the song that is never sung - the one insulting black slaves fighting for their freedom. But still, it made me laugh.

KarolynD

Very true! In the end everyone should just do and date whoever the heck they want! That being said it is still an interesting topic to debate. Any friendly debate is great, it allows us to dissect cultural, sociological and physiological aspects that make up our society. Also, it can be fun. :)

THIS MADE ME LOL. I'm not American but the controversial nature of the American National Anthem made this so ironic to be placed in a race thread! I mean ofc you're not humming the "forgotten" third stanza of the song that is never sung - the one insulting black slaves fighting for their freedom. But still, it made me laugh.

This tea though......

ChairmanMeow

I think you're overthinking this part. It was just an example that I just mean i know other people from different races who claim this to further my point.

Please can you explain this dynamic to me. I don’t understand how you can find ALL people within you own race unattractive or know that u will have no attraction to them. Is there a cultural element to this? - as in you have a distaste for you own culture? Then again every race has multiple cultures within them so that may make no sense. I’m not sure what your race is but I know this has been a highlighted topic in the black community in the past and I know many of the dynamics that fall within that bracket. I mean usually when debating this top in black community if often leads to some form of conclusion that one may have some underlying self-hatred. Being racist to you own race is very possible. I could explain how this conclusion is found in our debate often highlighting media representations and slave/colonial complexes and legacies but I see no point. Could you help me understand this? Or is it simply “I don’t like what I don’t like”. To me very few things are ever that simple. [/quote

I do not find all people within my race unattractive. You misunderstood me. I meant some people within not all just was trying to say it's not really a look thing to me. I am some white chick. I have been attracted to all races so I'm just more so arguing the point. I think you are also misunderstanding the use of attraction that is being referred to.

Yeah I see what you mean there! It's not as much a superiority thing usually with a black person to a white person that's why I was saying it doesn't really happen but just the concept exists. People get all out of wack with affirmative action here and don't seem to understand that people have been at a disadvantage for generations and it's really helpful to them.

@KarolynD
They put a lot of white people in magazines and everywhere so I know what you mean. Drawn to some more often maybe. I think beauty standards as a whole is another issue. I'm not sure if it's right/okay considering some of it for some people can have their preferences stemming from society being dumb but if you have some slight favorites cool. Just don't put a whole race out of your selection automatically because you're just missing out on a lot of cool people over something so shallow without even giving them a chance. I don't know about being wired to be killers. I feel like that's a small percentage. No I do not mean that. It's just with anyone not one particular race.

"Cutting off dating to white people would be nearly the same as cutting it off to black people in my opinion based solely on having something against their skin color. It's still racist because the person in question would feel that their race is better than theirs and can treat the other as inferiors. This doesn't happen with white people much at all which explains why a lot of people don't think racism against whites exists. it doesn't happen much at all especially in white-dominated countries like you said. White people are born with the privilege of not even knowing they're privileged here so how could anyone even be racist?"
I don't classify it as ignorant just because I don't see it the same as you with all due respect. I see your point and understand but racism is just a concept that can apply to anyone in my opinion. The situation, country, and history of it all matter but you can't really say they are immune from racism it wouldn't make any sense to me personally. Though you're right you don't really see racism towards white people I just think it is weird to say racism can apply to any race but white people.
You seem to just classify racism to minorities specifically so it seems the definition of racism varies. I've always seen it a bit differently but I do respect that white people are probably the last race that needs to worry about it.

Last edited:

Bill_Murray

Well the whole argument is pointless if we can’t agree on a definition of racism so what would you all define racism as. I concur with pretty much every dictionary’s definition of the word that I’ve seen, in that basically it is discriminating against someone’s skin color. Which technically then, yes refusing to date someone solely based on their skin color would be racist. However, I refuse to agree that many of us are not racist in that sense. For example, Karolyn refuses to date those of her own skin color. Solely based on this definition and logic, Karolyn is being racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChairmanMeow

[
Well the whole argument is pointless if we can’t agree on a definition of racism so what would you all define racism as. I concur with pretty much every dictionary’s definition of the word that I’ve seen, in that basically it is discriminating against someone’s skin color. Which technically then, yes refusing to date someone solely based on their skin color would be racist. However, I refuse to agree that many of us are not racist in that sense. For example, Karolyn refuses to date those of her own skin color. Solely based on this definition and logic, Karolyn is being racist.

The argument they're giving is that you can't really be racist to white people so it doesn't count because they're not oppressed under the system

Bill_Murray

I’m not really reading any of it anyway just kinda throwing my 2 cents in here and there but to say that discriminating against white people (a race) is not racist is anything but logical, regardless of which race has been oppressed in the past.

KarolynD

I've never read a dictionary definition that defines the word racism with skin color at all, I would definitely be interested in reading about that though!

I’m not really reading any of it anyway just kinda throwing my 2 cents in here and there but to say that discriminating against white people (a race) is not racist is anything but logical, regardless of which race has been oppressed in the past.

Sounds kind of biased to me!

Last edited:

Bill_Murray

Racism : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Race : any one of the groups that human beings can be divided into based on shared distinctive physical traits

from Merriam-Webster

I would consider skin color one of the aforementioned “shared distinctive physical traits” would you not?

I'm not following how someone doesn't understand when a person can't really be attracted to their own race. I'm not really attracted to mine but I wouldn't say that's racist, or whatever the argument was.

Opinions:
-Unattractiveness to ME doesn't mean "oh god you're so ugly", it means I'm not sexually attracted to them. They can also be good looking but I'm still not sexually attracted to them.
-Racism can be towards anyone, yes even white people, shocking. Reminds me when someone said "Straight people are oppressed too" when I saw "you can't be racist to white people"; both are ridiculous sentences.
-That being said, I believe racism is being discriminative/hating/feeling your race is superior towards one race.
-I do not believe it is racist to not be attracted to certain races. I feel it depends on context, and this can be stretched out to make someone "racist" when they're in fact not trying to be.

I ain't no foxy model, is it racist for someone not to date me because I am unattractive and a certain race?

KarolynD

would it be racist to not date white people tho
No not really. Although it made be prejudice/discrimination. IMO it doesn't really fit under the category. I would recommend reading some of the other posts on this thread and then maybe you will understand our view point a little bit more.

Racism : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Race : any one of the groups that human beings can be divided into based on shared distinctive physical traits

from Merriam-Webster

I would consider skin color one of the aforementioned “shared distinctive physical traits” would you not?

Considering most races are made up of a variety of skin tones, despite what you feel like you have pulled from that definition, I don't see how skin tone has to do with this lol.

I'm not following how someone doesn't understand when a person can't really be attracted to their own race. I'm not really attracted to mine but I wouldn't say that's racist, or whatever the argument was.

Opinions:
-Unattractiveness to ME doesn't mean "oh god you're so ugly", it means I'm not sexually attracted to them. They can also be good looking but I'm still not sexually attracted to them.
-Racism can be towards anyone, yes even white people, shocking. Reminds me when someone said "Straight people are oppressed too" when I saw "you can't be racist to white people"; both are ridiculous sentences.
-That being said, I believe racism is being discriminative/hating/feeling your race is superior towards one race.
-I do not believe it is racist to not be attracted to certain races. I feel it depends on context, and this can be stretched out to make someone "racist" when they're in fact not trying to be.
But how can something be inferior to something else when its already superior? Also, how can you not be racist towards white people? Although I agree saying that straight people are oppressed too is ridiculous, I don't see how the other comment is. (You can read up on my other thoughts on this via my other posts.

Seeing as white or caucasian is indeed a race, I would say discriminating against said race is indeed racism.

But it's not LOL. It is prejudice/discrimination.

but how is it not racist to not date white people but it would be racist to not date black people or asian people
if youre going off the whole minority thing, i'm pretty sure theres more of an asian race than any of the others. Like whites are pretty much becoming the minority nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.