Kinda Personal... *Depression, Dark Times*

NeonUniKorn

Professional Unicorn
Hi guys,

I know this is really unrelated to the game, and I'm really sorry. So back when I first discovered the OG VMK in 2005, I was quite the depressed and anxious 5th grader. My mother was extremely verbally/mentally/physically abusive with me up until I left the house at 18 for the Marines. I oftentimes went to school in tears, with bruises, or cuts. My friends knew what was going on, and they did everything that they could to cheer me up and support me. I talked to counselors and teachers about these issues. I was always on house arrest, never allowed to hang out with friends because my mother was super over-protective. I eventually got kicked out of my house at 17, and had nowhere to go. My friend's parents took me in for a month or two. They even paid for my prom dress because my mom didn't want me to go. I'll never be able to repay them, ever. They showed unconditional kindness and love, and treated me like their own child. They fed me, clothed me, took me to school, comforted me (I'm getting choked up writing this tbh)... When word started getting out that I wasn't living with my own family, my dad came to talk to me and took me to dinner to try and bring me back home. He never wanted me to leave in the first place.
But this game literally saved my life. The original VMK saved me. I'm 25 now. It provided me an escape from my sick reality called life. I could go on there and just be myself. Not have to worry about judgement or toxicity.

The depression and anxiety are still around, it never really goes away. My VA doctor gave me anti-depressants, but I didn't feel like myself. I got aggressive and violent. I asked her to take me off of them, since I was happier without them. It's all about having a good support system, whether it be friends, family, or a spouse/significant other.

So if anyone wants to talk or anything, I'll be here. Just like my temporary foster family was there for me.

Much love,
Ana

"Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is." - Atticus

SnoBun

Snob/Official Rilla Grandma
I love that VMK had that power for so many during adverse childhoods. I also love that despite the (unavoidable because humans are humans) small spats of drama, the MyVMK community is genuinely caring and passionate about the game and their friends in-game.

Welcome back to the magic! Appreciate having open, honest, vulnerable humans such as yourself on the server :)

P.S. Thank you for your service!

NeonUniKorn

Professional Unicorn
I love that VMK had that power for so many during adverse childhoods. I also love that despite the (unavoidable because humans are humans) small spats of drama, the MyVMK community is genuinely caring and passionate about the game and their friends in-game.

Welcome back to the magic! Appreciate having open, honest, vulnerable humans such as yourself on the server :)

P.S. Thank you for your service!
I appreciate your support :hearts:

Definitely can relate, as VMK was such an escape to me during the tougher years of my life. Thanks for sharing your story, I admire your strength and courage, and I hope that you are in a much safer space now. :)

NeonUniKorn

Professional Unicorn
Definitely can relate, as VMK was such an escape to me during the tougher years of my life. Thanks for sharing your story, I admire your strength and courage, and I hope that you are in a much safer space now. :)
I am now :) I wasn't healthy back then, I couldn't put weight on to save my life. I was too stressed. I was always 90-95 pounds up until recently, now I'm a healthy 130ish :halcyon:

Thanks for sharing. League of Legends, Runescape, VMK, VFK, and MyVMK provided an escape for me. Primarily social anxiety developed from an emotionally/verbally abusive father and bullying. I’m pretty open about my background and self. Glad you are, too.

Stay strong everyone who may be dealing with similar issues.

NeonUniKorn

Professional Unicorn
Thanks for sharing. League of Legends, Runescape, VMK, VFK, and MyVMK provided an escape for me. Primarily social anxiety developed from an emotionally/verbally abusive father and bullying. I’m pretty open about my background and self. Glad you are, too.

Stay strong everyone who may be dealing with similar issues.
I was in the same boat with the social anxiety, I felt like I was never good enough for anyone because that's how it felt with my mom - I could never please her. It's kinda the reason of who I am today; I try to please everyone and get upset when I can't. I'm trying to teach myself to not always aim to please everyone, just aim to please myself for my sanity. I'm really happy that all of those were escapes for you, as well :)

I remember VFK lol, it was kinda goofy lookin' to be honest haha