Letter to the U

As you know, Life is lengthy in the now. There is no war, no famine, no racism, no prejudice, no hatred, no dissonance, no tears, no irrationality, no pain and to prove that we have it made, we continuously take trips. Just yesterday i was required to visit the crusade and the salem witch trials. It was every bit as barbaric as i was told but there was something interesting there that felt so distant but familiar. A man was comforting his...other, while she screamed they could not do that to her baby.

"HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN..."She beat his chest while he slipped his fingers over her mouth.

"Do you want to be burned next? I couldn't bare to lose you both. Keep quiet."He looked frantic but it was all he could do for the woman.

Now, I know i should have been paying attention to the burning but i couldn't. I kept listening to their conversation.

"You're a coward! I've married a coward. THEY TAKE AWAY OUR CHILD AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS HIDE."

The man tried to reason that her daughter could very well have been practicing magic, and if she wasn't she's with their father up in heaven? What is this heaven? Anyway i digress. Given that this whole story is gruesome (especially the girls charred body at the ending of it) I'm unsure why the mother wasn't complacent with how things were. The man was only doing what he ought to have been - rationalizing the situation with the tools he was given. And what is the point of being attached to offspring, especially one which would let herself be burned? It was when the mother was taken away next that it was beaten into my head just how hedonistic those people are. If people followed the rules (like we do nowadays) society would have been at peace much earlier...

But one other thing troubled me. When it was the maters turn to be burned, she said, "I'd rather join my daughter than live in ignorance with you lot."

So I'm writing in the hopes to ask you and try to understand what that feeling was. I felt some sort of heat, and my chamber began to pump a little bit. As she died, my heart began to slow and i lifted my eyebrow. It was something that wasn't complacency. Normally when we do these exercises i just want to opt out (forgive me for speaking so bluntly but how many times must i see a child in order to know not to be one? and especially because up until the 21st century we lived in the dark ages), but this time i felt like they had something that we do not.

Please reply soon.

i like to write vague short stories where the writer can take what they want from the story.
But if it helps this is a letter to someone in the "Utopian society" and the setting is in the future.

Edit: realized that my pronouns could be confusing so changed it to mother.