lineart help!!!!!

mark

10 mins late to everything
my lineart looks like complete ******** everytime I do it!!!! :( I am about to reveal one of my weaknesses out of hundreds in drawing D:

im always so motivated to draw but whenever i do lineart i just f cant lol

pls help
artists help
yes i didnt erase some stuff, bc i was just mad and done. I prob did this lineart like 2 times before doing it again and giving up.
im using a graphics tablet (wacom) yes, and photoshop cs6
compare

Evehist

Sometimes I art.
What program do you use?
I use paint tool SAI and there's a option to use a "stabilizer" that essentially lags your pen strokes so you get much neater and smoother lines.
Though if you don't use SAI I'm not certain which other programs might offer a similar tool. :)

C

Christa

I use the pen tool in photoshop to make my lines smooth. :)

I did this one back in 2011 and it's probably my best to date. The body is obviously penned, but the hair isn't. q:

Evehist

Sometimes I art.
@k3llinl There definitely is :)
Though in different versions of SAI the stabilizer can either be labeled "stabilizer" or "smoothing."
However I do believe it's found it the same place.
Here, I drew an arrow to where it's found on my version if that might help you :)
I also I put an example of lineart without using the stabilizer tool and with using the stabilizer tool, in case it helps anyone.

Sorry I just threw something out quickly, hope it still gets the point across XD

Princess_Stitch

A Princess of Sorts
I asked my sister to look at your drawing and she said your lineart looks smooth and can't tell what kind of help you're needing. She may be able to help further if you could be more specific about your issues with it and what you're trying to achieve. Coloring, as well, if you plan to do that. (:

Here are a few general tips she gave, anyway:

- She exclusively uses Manga Studio 5 now but hears good things about PaintTool SAI.
- Quick flicks of the wrist is key and don't drag too much. Dragging will make it shaky while quick movements make it smoother. Just Ctrl+Z and redo until you get it right.
- Play around with pen pressure and line width.

This is a tutorial she did which covers the lineart:

She's planning on making a more detailed lineart tutorial in the future. :p

mark

10 mins late to everything
What program do you use?
I use paint tool SAI and there's a option to use a "stabilizer" that essentially lags your pen strokes so you get much neater and smoother lines.
Though if you don't use SAI I'm not certain which other programs might offer a similar tool. :)
I use Photoshop CS6 but I used Paint Tool SAI and I just thought Photoshop made things "easier" >.>

I use the pen tool in photoshop to make my lines smooth. :)

I did this one back in 2011 and it's probably my best to date. The body is obviously penned, but the hair isn't. q:
yeah your lines look so clean while mine look messy and just ewaewewadferwaq

@Evehist theres a stabilizer option in SAI?? where at or am I just dumb? lol

yea you go to the option called stablizer or smoothing depending on version on the top (by default)

Though in different versions of SAI the stabilizer can either be labeled "stabilizer" or "smoothing."
Here, I drew an arrow to where it's found on my version if that might help you :)
I also I put an example of lineart without using the stabilizer tool and with using the stabilizer tool, in case it helps anyone.

Sorry I just threw something out quickly, hope it still gets the point across XD
even your lineart sketches look better than my lineart >:(

I asked my sister to look at your drawing and she said your lineart looks smooth and can't tell what kind of help you're needing. She may be able to help further if you could be more specific about your issues with it and what you're trying to achieve. Coloring, as well, if you plan to do that. (:

- She exclusively uses Manga Studio 5 now but hears good things about PaintTool SAI.
- Quick flicks of the wrist is key and don't drag too much. Dragging will make it shaky while quick movements make it smoother. Just Ctrl+Z and redo until you get it right.

i feel like im the only one that sees the difference, if we just compare linearts together mine looks poopy.[DOUBLEPOST=1423313210][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm going to try out Manga Studio EX5 :)

Last edited:
A great program for solid, crisp lines( in my opinion) is Illustrator.

asyuna

Wow I never even noticed that!! thanks so much lol I can already tell its helped me out a lot. I'm so bad with computer programs I'm barely able to draw because I get lost on where to put my layers and clipping layers and it confuses me so much!

Evehist

Sometimes I art.
Wow I never even noticed that!! thanks so much lol I can already tell its helped me out a lot. I'm so bad with computer programs I'm barely able to draw because I get lost on where to put my layers and clipping layers and it confuses me so much!
No problem! :)
If you ever have a problem Lmk i'd love to help

asyuna

anyone have tips with the Pressure tool in SAI?? I heard it was supposed to make tips more "pointier"....but playing around with it I havent been able to achieve that.

I use SAI, so I cant really help with PScs6, but for line art in general its really just a bunch of trial and error~
A lot of the time I end up drawing the same line like 5-10 (or more :/ ) times until I get it the way that I want it to look!
Also, the eraser is your friend with line art! Line to thick? Eraser! Line too long? Eraser! Lines not connecting smoothly? Eraser! (* >ω<)

Another thing to consider:: If you are coloring/painting your drawing, sometimes you dont really need perfect line art. It just depends on how you are painting. You could easily go back after coloring and fix the lines, or you might change your mind on the placement of something and change the line art anyway
Also most people (myself included) find it easier to have a rough sketch out first, then layer over with a lineart just so you have some set guidelines for what you want~
Hope this helps! (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧[DOUBLEPOST=1423867578][/DOUBLEPOST]
anyone have tips with the Pressure tool in SAI?? I heard it was supposed to make tips more "pointier"....but playing around with it I havent been able to achieve that.
I assume this is what you meant::

Its all with the min size (or atleast with the rest of the pen settings that I have, its min size that does it for me)

Last edited: