My Kingdom Keepers Idea

Ok so I and many of you have read the Kingdom Keepers series. Like most we would LOVE to see it turned into a movie/TV show if possible. So I decided I would give my take on it, because I truly feel this is the best way to enjoy it on screen. Here goes:

I personally would rather it not be turned into a movie series. So much happens in the books that it is very hard for them to put everything from one book into a movie. Kingdom Keepers should be made into a mini series or something similar to a British TV show(Sherlock for example). I'll explain why.

A mini series as well as british TV shows like sherlock are usually broken up into shorter seasons with longer episodes. Sherlock episodes run about 90 minutes each. If they were to take each book and set it up into it's own mini series, I feel like they could really stick to the source material without leaving anything out. Which is of course what we want in most book adaptations.

Now comes the big question. What station would pick up the series to begin with? It can't and I seriously mean IT CAN"T be on the Disney Channel. They would turn it into something cheesy and would have to tone it down for younger audiences. At it's core Kingdom Keepers is a dark, fast paced adventure. While it does have it's comical moments, it is not a funny series. If Disney Channel where to air the series they would make it comical and less intense. Plus Disney channel is only good at producing 30 minute episodes for all it's shows, so it still wouldn't work.

If ABC picked up the series, and treated it like they do OUAT, then we'd know for sure that Kingdom Keepers would be given the proper treatment without being too cheesy. ABC has wild, crazy and somewhat violent shows (LOST,OUAT,Revenge,Greys Anatomy, etc.) and all of them having garnered high ratings and huge fanbases. How many fanbases and high ratings do you recall on the Disney Channel? I really want to see the show stay dark, and action packed. While Kingdom Keepers is meant for teens, I know many adults who read and loved the books. They read like teen fiction but come alive like a PG-13 movie (If that makes any sense...lol)

Here's another big question? Should they keep it live action or should they turn it into an animated series. When I say animated I mean the original Disney animation, not the 3d Frozen/Pixar type. You can do so much more with animation than you can regular live shows. You know how hard it would be to film all over Disney World? It would take an insane amount of time and money.

Let me know what you think! These are literally ideas that popped into my head as I was rereading the series again.

Bindingkey

I'd imagine if Disney decided to take it seriously then it'd be a good irregular season show on ABC or ABC Family. But if Disney decides they want to take the franchise a step further and market it as a Disney property then it'd fit just as well on Disney Channel or Disney XD. And trust me, there's a major difference where marketing is concerned when we discuss what channel has the most indicator on whether Disney truly cares about having it be widespread knowledge that it's Disney property. Like realistically when you hear Pretty Little Liars or Revenge do you immediately think of Disney? No, cause Disney doesn't market it as a specific Disney property. Once Upon A Time is the only exception here, everyone knows the show is based on Disney property specifically therefore it's considered Disney property.

This is all a contrast to the two Disney channels, they have the name in them and Disney markets the shows with the brand, and has a prominent presence in their parks for them. It's more likely a Kingdom Keepers series would be much more high profile as a Disney Channel/XD show, as opposed to it being considered a good TV show on ABC or being written off as a teen drama on ABC Family.

Where I stand on that issue itself has a lot to do with how I predict the show would be handled on those channels. On Disney Channel/XD, the show would not be necessarily cannon to the books. It'd be treated as a Saturday morning cartoon-esque adventure franchise, which is fine and I'm alright with that. It's the vibe I get from the franchise anyway. There is the risk that the intensity to its seriousness would be lost in favor for appealing to a younger audience, but honestly if it's handled as well as Girl Meets World and Gravity Falls are, then even at least half of the dark and serious feeling to it would still be present.

on ABC it would be treated considerably more serious and would have a good run, assuming it doesn't face script hurdles like OUAT has. Personally, the books have jumped the shark a few times, to the point that I actually stopped after the fourth book lol. I really don't think it should stay 100% to the books. The first two books were great and the first season should stay as true as it can, but everything after covering the first book I'm completely okay with being changed.

ABC Family is a huge no-no for me. It doesn't matter if it's even half decent, ABC Family is NOT the network I want the show to drown in among a bunch of teen dramas that suffer from terrible writing and character development.

So I'm tied.

Disney Channel/XD - if it's treated simply as a show about kids tasked with protecting the Disney parks from the Overlords. Major story arcs include Maleficent, Chernabog, Jafar and Hades, etc.

ABC - if it's treated as a television adaptation, the first season focusing on the first book and then every season after uses the books as a reference for the basic plotline.

if it's ABC I can only see it live action, maybe with sets that look a hella lot like the parks. with this idea in place, they'd be using special effects on a similar level to OUAT, so it'd be an extremely expensive show to make. especially since they WOULD have to film in the actual parks from time to time to maintain authenticity.

the only way it could be animated is if it were on Disney Channel/XD. maybe as a test for the new CG animation style that has a hand-drawn aesthetic, but simple hand-drawn would be just as fine.

I can see what you mean by having the show moved over to ABC. As much as it is appropriate to have it on the Disney Channel, I do not want them to mess it up to what we see today. (i.e. Dog with a Blog, Ant Farm, and don't get me started on I Didn't Do It!)

I want the show to be like "Are you Afraid of the Dark" and "Truth or Scare" (dark and interesting) but at the same time has that same spunk in the book.

Bindingkey

I Didn't Do It has a good concept and its intentions where complexity to the events that transpire in the show are good-hearted and obviously well thought out, I don't think it should be a further reason to distrust Disney Channel's handling of its shows. Either way, Disney Channel's sitcoms are their current weakest points. the Disney cartoons are on fire right now, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and Wonder Over Yonder are just a couple examples of strong animated shows, I'm not even counting Star Wars Rebels and other Disney XD shows. If Kingdom Keepers was an animated show I guarantee it'd be very well done. Disney Channel just really shouldn't consider having it be live action. I really do not want a live action Disney Channel show, it just wouldn't work, the writing and plot development is terrible when they try to approach live action shows.

I repeat, all your concerns for KK being on Disney Channel is rooted in an irrational fear that stems from the poor handling of their sitcoms. If this were an animated show, it would be very solid. Gravity Falls is a definite example of a very dark show in concept and execution and still being very comically cliche in the best way. I feel like KK would be THAT kind of animated show, which I am all for.

AlphaTheEdge

I always wanted it to be a movie tbh. But the hardest part would be bringing characters to life. If they could cast Disney characters as well as they did Angelina Jolie as Maleficent. I would love to play the role of Finn too tbh. It would be an awesome tv show or movie regardless. Such an awesome concept for Disney lovers everywhere.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I think Disney XD would be the way to go, because I think it would be better to have an animated show, but not a G rated show. At least on Disney XD they have a few PG shows, so I think a Kingdom Keepers animated series would fit in well with the type of things Disney XD produces.

:idea: BUMP :idea:
So as I am rereading the series again (The books are amazing) I thought we could rehash this. I still stand firm on Kingdom Keepers not being on the Disney Channel. Yes, there is Girl Meets World which I actually like, but still it's terribly cheesy. KK is not cheesy. I still like the idea of treating each book as a small season or mini-series. Let it have high production values but stay as true to the story as they can. Deviation is fine just don't completely rewrite the stories.

Some have stated that it could possibly work as a Saturday Morning cartoon. NO, stop right there! That would ultimately tarnish the whole book series as a whole. I don't want to watch a show about kids having random mystery adventures within the Magic Kingdom (ehhrm Scooby Doo like). They would solve the mystery and the episode would end on a sweet note while the kids went to bed. Sorry but that doesn't sound like a workable idea.

Now I am not totally against the idea of a movie, but the problem is that there is so many books and Disney would not produce that many unless they are making money. If the first movie flops, there is no way of them making a second one. TV has a better chance of survival.​

This is one of my all time favorite book series and actually bought the whole series in a cute little coffee store at hollywood studios in disney world :3

I agree completely though. I would love for ABC to pick up on this, I would die of happiness. I also had a further idea for how they could promote it in the park.

After I read the book series I no lie, bought 3D glasses and went on the rides looking for those "clues" (trying not to spoil the books lol) and I would love if they could make this an attraction of sorts (Like phineas and ferb in epcot, it could be the kingdom keeps in magic kingdom) It would make me so happy XD

I am actually rereading the series too since I read up to the middle of book 5 when it came out, but just lost interest and the time to read it. I realized that there seems to be a lot of filler in the books and not sure if anyone else noticed it. They are probably my favorite book series since I love the parks and whenever I go I always go around and find the places they visit in the books and take pictures etc. I have always wanted a movie, but I do agree a tv series would be better. I remember to promote the third book they created a Kingdom Keepers Online game where I met @Kinglaser and @philitup and I've tried finding it again, but with no luck.

This is one of my all time favorite book series and actually bought the whole series in a cute little coffee store at hollywood studios in disney world :3

I agree completely though. I would love for ABC to pick up on this, I would die of happiness. I also had a further idea for how they could promote it in the park.

After I read the book series I no lie, bought 3D glasses and went on the rides looking for those "clues" (trying not to spoil the books lol) and I would love if they could make this an attraction of sorts (Like phineas and ferb in epcot, it could be the kingdom keeps in magic kingdom) It would make me so happy XD
ABC would be the holy grail TV network to take this up, but if it were to be animated (probably suited better since the live action budget would be astronomical, but Disney has been known to pull off crazy things!) then ABC wouldn't pick it up. Can't recall the last time ABC had an animated show on its network except for Saturday morning cartoons. The main hurdle is not pleasing the Kingdom Keepers fans but those who know nothing about the series. If they can't pull them in the show won't work. Disney XD had the same issue with one of my all time favorite shows Tron: Uprising. Had everything fans wanted but could not pull in the ratings. Disney XD would be a fantastic choice as previously stated. Knowing Ridley Pearson I doubt he would let someone ruin his beloved book series. It's probably the reason why nothing has happened yet. He wants it to be as perfect as possible. He wants fans and Disney to be happy. Can't blame him for that.[DOUBLEPOST=1463924393][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am actually rereading the series too since I read up to the middle of book 5 when it came out, but just lost interest and the time to read it. I realized that there seems to be a lot of filler in the books and not sure if anyone else noticed it. They are probably my favorite book series since I love the parks and whenever I go I always go around and find the places they visit in the books and take pictures etc. I have always wanted a movie, but I do agree a tv series would be better. I remember to promote the third book they created a Kingdom Keepers Online game where I met @Kinglaser and @philitup and I've tried finding it again, but with no luck.
I do agree that there is a ton of filler in the books. Some of the books could be smaller, but hey I'm not complaining. Take out the filler and I think a movie/tv show could work. Another major hurdle they'd have to get over is turning beloved characters into evil people (Stitch anyone?) If you think about it KK is a bit dark and scary at times. It can't be too scary that a younger audience can't watch it, yet not too cheesy either.

Last edited:
BUMP BECAUSE I STILL WANT THIS TO BE A THING!
:pirate2:

Ridley Pearson has stated that he would like the book series to be a movie, but as we speak Disney currently has no plans for anything.
:OhTheShame:
In a world of all things Disney related why can't we get Kingdom Keepers turned into something? I mean Disney made a Planes 2 (Fire and Rescue) for crying out loud! Was that needed....DOUBTFUL! Disney does some strange things at times.