[myVMK Pal] Plugin framework?

Would you use or write myVMK Pal plugins?

• Yes! Both write and use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only use

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
Edit: Heh.. whoops... screwed up the poll.. just leave responses below xD (If a moderator or admin has the ability to get rid of that poll, that would be greatly appreciated)

Hey developers! I have a question.

If we (the myVMK Pal team) were to design and implement a plugin architecture for myVMK Pal, would anyone use it?

Plugins would be written in C#, and could tie into various aspect of myVMK Pal.

Plugins would not be able to access usernames or passwords, though possibly character names would be allowed.

Plugins would not be able to manage the filesystem through myVMK Pal.

On the other hand...

Plugins would be able to add custom buttons to the toolbar of myVMK Pal, implementing new windows and features for myVMK Pal! Perhaps someone may write a tie in for the forums, or a myVMK Pal chat window.

I'm not yet sure if I will actually go through with this, so don't get your hopes up. I'm just trying to get a general opinion on the idea.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
I'd use it, but I can't write plugins. I think it could be helpful, and maybe you could open up suggestions as to what plugins could be made. The plugin idea that gets the most votes gets work started on it first. :)
Oh not just whatever plugin gets the most votes, but any plugin! The API/framework would be open to any developers that want to use it.

Fiyero

Because it's simple, and it works. Is there a legitimately good reason to not write it in C#?
Eh, not really. It just seemed to me to be a little bit more obscure than other languages at some times. Meaning there would be less people to be able to create plugins for them. Perhaps you see differently, but I know many of my fellow students don't know anything about C#

Anthony

Eh, not really. It just seemed to me to be a little bit more obscure than other languages at some times. Meaning there would be less people to be able to create plugins for them. Perhaps you see differently, but I know many of my fellow students don't know anything about C#
C# and VB.NET are actually extremely popular, especially with windows forms applications. Also, considering it is a hell of a lot easier to understand compared to C/C++.

PAL_Kolya

myVMKPal Creator
myVMKPal Creator
C++ is hard to understand? o.o
Not at all! No harder than C#or any other C based language. We found C# to be the easiest to use to develop myVMKPal for what we needed, and so the plugin framework will be built the same way.

Not at all! No harder than C#or any other C based language. We found C# to be the easiest to use to develop myVMKPal for what we needed, and so the plugin framework will be built the same way.
I'm going to be honest, C# is a lot easier to learn as it has more of a likeness to Java and lets face it Java is also pretty easy to learn.

C++ is quite a lot of the time very hard to get to grasps with so i would say that it is harder to write in :P
(Personally i love Bjarne's work when it comes to C++)

One thing i would say is It's easy to go from C++ to C# rather then C# to C++.

Don't get me wrong though C# is an incredibly powerfull language but i wanted to just say the general consensus is that it's harder :P

Anyway in answer to the threads question!

I might use MyVMK Pal's plugins if i see any usefull ones, and if i get enough people asking me to i might write plugins myself if i have the time :)

EDIT:
I've helped a lot of university's teach C++ and C#, and I have asked the teachers there and they all agreed that C++ is the harder language to teach and grasp.
EDIT of EDIT:
Also they said that Assembly is the language that causes the most issues aha