Newsletter Photo Descriptions Feedback

saturn

hi!

the last few months i've noticed there have been a lot of sets of items released - through hide and seek (i.e. DC ears), blind bags (i.e. star wars tsums, couples), treasure chest prizes - with photos in the newsletter or on forums.

unfortunately, there is a significant lack of additional information about the items that results in confusion (i.e. which item is which? how many are there? what is the name of this character? there are 22 colors?!), lack of record keeping (i.e. not sure what i'm missing, not sure what values are, not sure which is which and what to collect, when looking back not sure what items are what and what they're named), and broad inaccessibility (i.e. for folks who have seeing disabilities, can't fully load the page due to internet problems or other challenges, for folks who do not have forums or are not interested in having forums for any reason).

my suggestion is to add image descriptions/captions to the newsletter on item releases to:
1. clear up misinformation about item releases and what each item is
2. support and strengthen the collection/transparency of historical memory
3. increase access

note: i know that one thing that makes vmk fun is being able to work together to document all the items and go through the rarity, images, etc. - and that's even furthered by encouragement of use of forums. i do think it is important to continue this kind of community engagement while ALSO increasing access and shared knowledge about myvmk items and releases. in order to do this, i suggest adding the caption of item information to the myvmk.com newsletter and not the forums newsletter.

thanks!

RESOURCES:
All About Image Descriptions - Living with Disability
Image Descriptions and How to Write Them

Last edited:

VMK_Rapunzel

Hi @saturn I just wanted to let you know I did pass this along to the person who does our Newsletter the other day! I totally forgot to reply to it, I'm so sorry!! When I mentioned it to the person, we discussed using the 'alt' text a lot more in the HTML for the pictures included on the web page.
With regards to providing more written information, unfortunately there's only so much information that can go on the current Newsletter web page before players have to scroll for ages to see everything, but we can definitely try to discuss as a staff team some ideas to add some clarity. I can assure you that we do a lot of record keeping on our end, but I can see how that can be frustrating not sharing all of the details with everyone about certain items. (Blind Bags, Crates, etc.). Thanks for the suggestion!! :] (Sorry about my total brain fart there forgetting to reply to this!!)

Wonder

Hi @saturn I just wanted to let you know I did pass this along to the person who does our Newsletter the other day! I totally forgot to reply to it, I'm so sorry!! When I mentioned it to the person, we discussed using the 'alt' text a lot more in the HTML for the pictures included on the web page.
With regards to providing more written information, unfortunately there's only so much information that can go on the current Newsletter web page before players have to scroll for ages to see everything, but we can definitely try to discuss as a staff team some ideas to add some clarity. I can assure you that we do a lot of record keeping on our end, but I can see how that can be frustrating not sharing all of the details with everyone about certain items. (Blind Bags, Crates, etc.). Thanks for the suggestion!! :] (Sorry about my total brain fart there forgetting to reply to this!!)
could you at least just add a litte note as to which SITS pin is supposed to be the ultra rare? thanks!

saturn

thanks so very much for your response (and no worries on the delay <3)! i really appreciate the team reviewing and responding. (:

VMK_Rapunzel

could you at least just add a litte note as to which SITS pin is supposed to be the ultra rare? thanks!
I'm not entirely sure what our current policy is on this, but I will check! Usually, I think we like to have everyone figure it out on their own, but I don't see why we couldn't post it half way through the month after everyone's had some time to try their hand at it! I'll pass it along to the rest of the staff! :]