One year ago...

philitup

The Internet Champion!
So one year ago it probably wasn't as scary of a night as tonight, I mean for one thing the aliens weren't landing on Lake Michigan, I swear the thunder is so loud. Anyways what I'm getting at here is that one year ago OpenVMK Forums opened. How do I know this? Because every freaking live stream they did Megan's proud achievement was signing up just minutes after it opened, and she would let you know about it (But in all honesty I really liked Megan a lot). But yeah the reason why this is a big deal to me is that basically this was the beginning of the longest storyline of my life, which sounds really weird! Like who knew a remake of a kids game would have this much drama!? If you want to know everything I recommend you read the link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qTdpgcLUd-Hg6-FZzkVEju4x1aMlhbMNX6snlUNgnOM/edit?pli=1

But for now I will tell my story, and you may tell yours below if you have one. I joined on the 27th of June, 2013. Now I knew about OVMK since 2011 and I checked the OVMK site about once a month, so when I saw the forums open I was freaking out like for a couple of years this thing has gone on slowly and the only things I ever heard from Nick were on either the site itself or his Twitter, and he didn't update either much at all. Now remember he was the only one working on this for quite sometime, so I can understand why this took as long as it did. Now at first I loved it, the people were really nice and the staff (Even Grace) came off as being very good at their job. We would have live streams, vB shop, user made vB shop items, Grace even hosted a OVMK radio stream. It was a ton of fun! This was pretty much the only thing I did on the internet all summer, I was into this so much, my average posts per day was up to 20.something. So at this point it was August and I hadn't had much luck with the moderation apps that they put out there, and I understand considering I was one of the youngest members there. So it was last week of August, the game was opening September 7th, and shoutbox moderator apps were open and I was on a mission to become one of the two, and I DID!... For only about 10 days. You see IDK what Grace's game plan was but she failed to tell me that this wasn't going to last long due to the fact that they didn't need the shoutbox moderators past the game opening... For some reason. So one day one September the 10th, I believe I recived a PM from Grace. And on the day I was feeling pretty good considering I was getting into the groove of shoutbox moderating which is something I hadn't done before hand. She wasn't very clear as to why I was being removed all she really said was that since I was the last shoutbox moderator left (The other guy was gotten rid of like a week before for whatever reason) they were getting rid of the user group, and that if I had any other questions I may ask them. So being the unsure person that I was at the moment, I asked if I did anything wrong, to that she said she would have to get back to me about that. At this point I think it's all my fault like I wasn't doing good enough of a job. But then it dawned upon me that Grace was doing a lot of interesting things to other moderators as well. Like as they chose shoutbox moderators she also chose sectional moderators at the same time, and what happened to them? Well they were all gone in a week as well. Poor Jinx, she hasn't been a mod since! And then she brought in a lot of new people who she knew from real life (Or as I like to call the The Red Army, because the admin color was red, and it seemed that all they wanted what was best for them), so she came up with all these different kinds of groups like "The Server managers" which were three people, or "The CL managers" which were another three people, or "The Tech Managers"... Whoever they were. Also the Global Moderators were being replaced because the old ones were becoming in-game mods, and so she didn't want the forum mods and in-game mods the cross over, which I agree with, however the only problem I had with that was every single one of the new mods weren't there for more than a month before having the position granted to them. Most of all Amy was screwed out being the developer... Which is odd because she was the only one working on the game at the time, and they thought it was a grand idea to get rid of that one person and replace her with Grace's friends whom as you could see, weren't very good at all. So in those three days between me losing my mod spot and the game closing and MyVMK opening there was a lot of lash back from a lot of people, including me. I didn't feel very happy after being there for that whole time and defending Grace from those who saw the light a lot sooner than me. Then on Saturday night September 15th, 2013 OpenVMK closed or as they put it, they were on a "Few days hiatus" which would've been foolish for them to come back and go up against Amy.

But to end, I would love to thank all of my friends, you know who you are. They really kept me coming back, I was really close to leaving in mid September, so thank you so very much. I love all of you guys, you make this game special again for me again, and I know that a lot of you think this place is the worst and the people here are evil LOL! But at the end of the day I'd like to highlight how far we've came and how awesome you guys really are for sticking through all of the ********. didn't post this to trash anyone, not even Grace, but what I said is what really happened, and it was bad, but I'm glad we've moved on. I know now that I will never truly leave MyVMK, as long as I have an internet connection (And why wouldn't I, I'm The Internet Champion) and as long as MyVMK is still a thing I will never EVER offically leave, I love this place too much. Thank you for taking the time to read this, it means a lot.

Last edited:

Drewby

WDW Annual Passholder
Awww! Even though the OVMK holds a bad memory for a lot of people, I appreciated the small community we had on those forums. Keeping an eye on the project was a big part of my summer too. I can't believe this was a year ago!!!

edit
Nick is a cool guy! Him and I went to Epcot a few months ago and we talked a bit about OVMK. I agree he made some wrong decisions or else he would still be with this community today but he didn't seem bitter about anything. His Disney/VMK obsession has not been dampened!

Drewby

WDW Annual Passholder
Very fun to look back into the past. I remember your tease streams Amy :) and the one where you walked into Fantasyland in the Sky and some of the staff members were just chillin ;P haha

I remember I won a quest kiosk on one of those streams.. I wonder if I'll ever be able to redeem that code ;) ;) ;)

StephaniePea

Tru Pea, Real Pea.
Honestly, I felt really bad for Nick after everything. i think he just chose the wrong people and it backfired on him. I do think that everything that happened with ovmk changed myvmk for the better though.

Jasmine

Honestly, I don't even see why people are still mad over things that didn't even concern them. I have nothing against Grace, Nick, or anyone else involved with OVMK because they didn't do anything to me personally. I disagree with decisions made during the whole thing, but I disagree with most decisions made now as well. People make mistakes. Get over it... especially if they didn't actually do anything to you.

vause

I don't really see why this whole post is necessary, but I suppose I'll address it since I was an admin on the forums and worked on the game. I haven't spoken out on this issue at all, except to @Amy personally, but even then I don't think I made my point clear because I was just worried that Amy hated me.
Grace made mistakes as an admin, I agree. I'm not a huge fan of her anymore after the way people were treated on OVMK.
It wasn't the whole team that messed up. I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it until people finally realize it. Grace screwed us all over. I quit for a reason, and that's because I sided with you guys on the issues. I apologize for anything I did to make you guys hate me, and I regret following Grace's lead on pretty much everything I did.
Once again, I'll explain the Amy situation: The only person that had anything to do with firing her was Grace. When she made a post about it, she said it was a team decision. It was not a team decision. Nothing on those forums was ever a team decision. Grace did what was best for her and what she thought was right. It wasn't the way a team was supposed to be run. The Amy situation was messed up. Completely wrong, and it was nobody's fault but Grace's.
I'm not saying I was perfect, or I didn't mess up - because I did. I made choices and actions that I wholeheartedly regret.
I'm not saying these things to make you all hate Grace or anyone else on the OVMK staff. I'm just trying to say what wasn't said. I can't apologize for the entire team, but I can apologize for me. We screwed up. And I'm sorry for how it ended up.

So if you actually read that, thanks. I appreciate it.

-Aly

PS. Also note how because I quit, and how because I completely cut myself off, I wasn't mentioned in ANY of the thanks in the OVMK document lol

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
I don't really see why this whole post is necessary, but I suppose I'll address it since I was an admin on the forums and worked on the game. I haven't spoken out on this issue at all, except to @Amy personally, but even then I don't think I made my point clear because I was just worried that Amy hated me.
Grace made mistakes as an admin, I agree. I'm not a huge fan of her anymore after the way people were treated on OVMK.
It wasn't the whole team that messed up. I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it until people finally realize it. Grace screwed us all over. I quit for a reason, and that's because I sided with you guys on the issues. I apologize for anything I did to make you guys hate me, and I regret following Grace's lead on pretty much everything I did.
Once again, I'll explain the Amy situation: The only person that had anything to do with firing her was Grace. When she made a post about it, she said it was a team decision. It was not a team decision. Nothing on those forums was ever a team decision. Grace did what was best for her and what she thought was right. It wasn't the way a team was supposed to be run. The Amy situation was messed up. Completely wrong, and it was nobody's fault but Grace's.
I'm not saying I was perfect, or I didn't mess up - because I did. I made choices and actions that I wholeheartedly regret.
I'm not saying these things to make you all hate Grace or anyone else on the OVMK staff. I'm just trying to say what wasn't said. I can't apologize for the entire team, but I can apologize for me. We screwed up. And I'm sorry for how it ended up.

-Aly

PS. Also note how because I quit, and how because I completely cut myself off, I wasn't mentioned in ANY of the thanks in the OVMK document lol
I thought it was pretty obvious that Grace was causing the downfall of oVMK. Everyone makes mistakes, we're all human. But Grace just... thought she was always right in her decision making.

And I remember you! Long time no see.

Drewby

WDW Annual Passholder
Honestly, I don't even see why people are still mad over things that didn't even concern them. I have nothing against Grace, Nick, or anyone else involved with OVMK because they didn't do anything to me personally. I disagree with decisions made during the whole thing, but I disagree with most decisions made now as well. People make mistakes. Get over it... especially if they didn't actually do anything to you.
Grace was indeed mean, and when the community was that small, actions like that affect everybody. It's an insult to the members of the community when someone treats the community like trash. It's disrespectful.
We've never dealt with (and probably will never deal with) anything similar to that through MyVMK.

mark

10 mins late to everything

-Aly

I have faint memory of the game but erm I feel like you were mod, were you :| aly is somewhere in my confused mind D:

Jasmine

Grace was indeed mean, and when the community was that small, actions like that affect everybody. It's an insult to the members of the community when someone treats the community like trash. It's disrespectful.
We've never dealt with (and probably will never deal with) anything similar to that through MyVMK.
It doesn't matter. The point is, a lot of people hate others that were involved in OVMK and that's silly if nothing was actually done to you. We weren't the ones accused of anything, so we have no reason to be mad. It makes no sense anyway. That was almost a year ago. The problem is people try to take offense to things that weren't done to them. Amy (and those who were personally involved) had a right to be upset. But the actual community? And then a year later? Certainly not, and especially because everything turned out okay in the end. People just hold stupid grudges. That's the problem.

And actually, we did deal with a similar situation with MyVMK - remember Kevin? In my opinion (and many others'), the Kevin situation was much worse because actual members were affected by that situation.

Jasmine

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the Kevin situation was worse because the Grace one also affected actual members.
That's your opinion because you likely weren't involved in the Kevin situation. If you were, or knew someone who was, I think you'd think differently.
Grace did nothing to the members when you compare the Kevin situation.

It's not worth it though, so I'm done. If people want to be petty and hold grudges over things that don't concern them, that's their business. I really don't care. I just think it's silly and people ought to let it go if everything turned out better in the end - and it did. Grace is no longer involved, the situation is resolved, so what's the problem?

But seriously, what happened to Grace?
Nothing really. We were never "close close", and I haven't talked to her since the whole thing, but I assume she went on with life. (Which is what we all should be doing...)

Last edited:

philitup

The Internet Champion!
OpenVMK Forums dominated that summer for me as well. Grace is, very honestly, the worst product of humanity that I have ever come across. She intimidated people, including Amy and myself, and there is no way that MyVMK or MyVMK Forums could ever get any worse than OpenVMK Forums was, simply due to the fact that Grace is not here. I don't usually hold grudges, but Grace is a different story, because of what she has done to me and other people.

philitup, you're an awesome member, and I've been observing that for a year. You're friendly to others, and you stand for the truth. As long as you stick with us here, I promise that I'll never leave either.

Thanks for your post; it's really hard to believe the amount of time that has passed since that mess.

-Alex

Edit: I guess while I'm here, what do you (this is open to anybody) think about Nick? I don't think he was a bad guy; he just made the wrong decisions, from what I know.
Thank you so much for your kind words! And about Nick, I feel like he really got the short end of the stick more than anyone. I know how much this game meant to him, and he really worked hard on this. We should still be thankful for all he has done because without him MyVMK wouldn't be a thing.

And to anyone that didn't think posting this was really worth it, the reason I did so was just because a lot has happened in a year. As I said at the end I wanted to highlight how far we came. The only person I ever had a problem with was Grace, I don't blame Aly, or Grizzly, or Nick, they are all very nice people.

Last edited:

vause

I have faint memory of the game but erm I feel like you were mod, were you :| aly is somewhere in my confused mind D:
I was a mod for awhile on the forums, then became an admin. I was also a mod in game, but didn't do much in game tbh

Also for people asking, I talked to Grace once a few months ago. She moved on, I guess. Still holds a grudge against me for telling her off and quitting. She didn't want to talk about the subject so I didn't press.

Amy

Head Administrator
I'm not even angry at them anymore to be honest, so I don't know why anyone else would hate them. What they did was wrong, especially given I wrote all of the code and they just took it, but either way it doesn't matter anymore. I've moved on from this so I think everyone else should as well.

Truth be told, no one knows the whole story, but that no longer matters because MyVMK is alive and well... with some minor or even major hiccups here and there of course.