Panic Attack or Anxiety

supernovagirl

I have had issues with anxiety since I was a little kid. When I'm having a panic attack, or if I feel like I'm going to have one, I try to do timed breathing exercises or I go for a walk to get myself out of a certain situations. There's also this company that makes pastilles and sprays for anxiety relief. It's called "Bach." Just google "Bach Rescue Pastilles." I've been using these for about 6 months and they help a lot. I bought the pastilles and spray from the local vitamin store.
I also use an app called "SAM." I'm not sure if there's an app for it on Android, but if you search "SAM" in the App store, it'll say "self-help for anxiety." I've been using this app for a while too and it helps with my breathing and helps me keep a log of when I have a panic attack or really bad anxiety.

I hope this helps :)

Elle

Breathing exercises. My counselor back in high school who actually had panic attacks when she was younger had taught me to do this. I had one trying to enter college in an advisement room, kind of embarrassing, but my mom calmed me down and I closed my eyes while focusing on my breathing. When it happens to me my chest feels like it's tightening up and my heart kind of speeds up for some reason. So just clearing my mind and thinking about nothing but breathing slowly helps.

breathing exercises, think of a happy calming place, find a spot where you can be by yourself to help calm you down. I'd also keep track of what sets off your anxiety to see if it's causing you stress, or if it's something in your surroundings.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I go outside and just walk. Either for 1 mile, 2 miles, or 3 and a half miles, I just walk until I circle back to my house. And while I'm walking I listen to my iPod.

Then when I finally get home, I shower in the quiet and calm. Then I go in my room and lock the door and do yoga. Believe it or not, yoga is extremely balancing and calming. It's helped me significantly by helping me find my center and balance my emotions.

Then when I come out of it I feel like a new person. I feel relieved.

Everyone is different, not everyone has the ability to do this routine, this is just what works for me.

If I don't do this, I end up making myself physically sick because I end up dwelling in what's bothering me. The trick is to occupy your mind on something else, something less stressful, something that you enjoy and immerse yourself in it for a little while until you're relaxed.

Last edited:
i usually have 1-2 a day, the severity of which varies. usually riding it out or rationalizing what i'm fearing/panicking/being anxious over helps. if i try to stop it with breathing exercises it usually makes me feel very out of control (this is just me personally, i don't know about other people).

for example, my brother is a big cause for stress in my life because in general he is not a good person, bullies myself and other family members, is always negative about different aspects of my personality or body, etc. so when i panic over something he says, i just rationalize it by reminding myself that he does this to everyone, even his best friends, and if he was someone worth worrying about he wouldn't say those things in the first place. just an example.

There are a few things I do; first things first, find yourself a safe spot. For me, it's my closet. Get a anxiety kit; your favorite snack, something to smell (like chapstick or perfume), a small toy (cards?), a texture you enjoy (rubber ball? silk?), something to listen to (a toy that makes noise or something that plays music), and something that means a lot to you. Keep it in your safe spot. There are two breathing techniques that work best for me; breathing from your diaphram (move your stomache when you breathe deeply) and the Hawaiian technique (deep breath and then force the breath out like you're trying to poison someone via bad breath, not like blowing out candles, keep your mouth wide instead of fish lips.) Use your anxiety box as you wish. Learn some yoga that you can do in your safety spot, like Cobra or Sun Salutation. Listen to songs you listened to when you were young that don't have any sad memories attached to them. Fill up a 2liter bottle with water and lots of glitter and shake it up and watch it as it settles (or use a snow globe.) Keep your mind focused on something that isn't what's stressing you out. Excercise if you can. Drink some tea that tastes good to you. Spin until you feel dizzy, stop, then spin more until you feel better (But don't get hurt!!!) And if it's really, really bad, you can either take a shower or a bath; a bath if you need comfort and a shower if you need to have everything washed away.

Last edited:

Kimi Lamperouge

Kimiana Jones, Captain!
This is probably weird, but ask for a hug from someone. Don't do a quick hug or something, just a long hug that lasts for about 25 seconds. Maybe your family or a significant other that cares about you. Ask for a hug, and just let them hold you and you hold them for a while.

I am so anxious about everything its not even funny. I don't get panic attacks, but I do constantly feel my mind racing and working myself up. I hate it. So if you're experiencing more of a breathing quickly issue, maybe a hug won't work.

But I could be lying down next to my boyfriend and blabbering like an idiot about my grades, my family, my financial problems, my friendship problems...I don't have a panic attack but I do freak out. My boyfriend will hold onto me and after about a minute I will feel better. Apparently hugs release a chemical in your brain that makes you calm down. No, I don't have the source for that information, but hey it works for me.

Talking to someone helps too if you need it. I dunno if this helps at all, but....thought I could attempt to help, love.

Czarcasm

dam thats crazy
Mostly what everyone else says, you have to take a deep breath and just give yourself a moment of reassurance, and air lol.

I also have organic anxiety calming pills, I haven't really used them yet..but my mom used them once cause she was feeling a bit of anxiety even though its not regular for her like me and she claimed they worked. Theres many different kinds and places you can get these kinds of things, maybe try looking 'calming pills' up.

KMystikroots

A demon who vaguely sauntered downwards
5-HTP man. I promise it does wonders for anxiety/stress

nature-made, promotes stress/anxiety relief :)

that and fresh air, nature

My nurse practitioner told me that I should do breathing exercises. If it gets too bad, just remove yourself from the situation and find a way that helps you calm down. Get distracted.

Sometimes, even if you're embarrassed or uncomfortable, it helps to speak with a doctor or a counselor about your panic attacks and the relationship between them.
If you can get to the roots of your anxiety, it will help you deal with it much better. You can learn what triggers the panic attacks, then rationalize with yourself and figure out if the anxiety you're experiencing is founded or unfounded. Many of my anxiety attacks stem from the fact that I had an experience in a hospital. Sounds and smells will trigger my anxiety.

Also, sometimes anxiety comes in waves. You can have a long period of time with a lot of anxiety and panic attacks, and you can have a long period of time without them. Everyone goes through them; it's just a matter of figuring them out.

Remember: panic attacks are a temporary thing. You have gotten through them before, and you can get through them again. Don't let yourself get trapped in your own mind. It can hurt you worse than it can help you.

I hope you feel better soon! Let me know if you need anyone to talk to! :link:

kalyee

I would recommend seeing someone qualified to help you with your anxiety, as there are a lot of reasons it happens, a lot of causes for panic attacks, and a lot of different remedies that may/may not work for different people if it becomes a persistent and debilitating presence in your life - and if you have access to such care.
Some people try remedies for years and lose a lot of time and opportunities to these ailments when finding a professional to work with would've been a saving grace - it helped me a lot when I was younger.

Aside from that, it's all about finding a coping skill that works for you. What makes you most relaxed? Feel the most at ease? Distracts you best? Try those things when you feel anxious and come up with a little mental list of things you can turn to. Taking up new hobbies can help ease everyday stress and lessen overall anxiety, so perhaps venture out a bit!

i usually have anxiety/panic attacks every once in a while, but i've had some more than usual over the past few weeks due to finals approaching and my future looming and okay i'm stopping right there before i actually somehow manage to have a panic attack in the middle of writing this
i used to take pills, i can't remember what they're called since i haven't taken them in years, but those didn't really work for me and i found myself just feeling the anxiety looming over me like a grey cloud of stress which was not fun. i would never have a full blown-out panic attack, but i always felt it rising up
so i went to a counselor on these sorts of things a couple years ago and i don't see this counselor anymore since he really helped me, but he taught me loads of breathing exercises which actually really do work and as i'm doing the breathing exercises i just try to clear my brain or try to drive my train of thought elsewhere, like if i feel stressed about my future it'll normally go something like this: if i don't pass my exams i can't get into university and then i won't get a degree and i won't get a good job.....then i'll do the breathing technique and say to myself that if i don't pass my exams i can always work for one year or do the exam one month later, i will always have another shot and i know that i will do great things and i need to just calm down and breathe! :)
and then i'll probably eat chocolate and read a book or something!
xx

I personally like to distract myself (I know a lot of people will object to this method, but for god sakes if someone told me riding a unicycle with a monkey on their back made them feel comfortable, I'd tell them to go for it). Also, as cliche as it might sound, try picturing yourself in a happier place or time, it does indeed help. Really though, when all else fails, look into medication. I don't personally like daily medication due to the way it made me feel, but I have an emergency pill just incase. It should be noted that many people have done very well on daily medication.

Best Wishes,
Gregory George Leo
(IGN: Gregory)

Paxil. If I don't take it I get physically ill, so I'm stuck on it for the rest of my life. Stay away from caffeine. Try not to think about your stress. Listen to this before you sleep: