Pixar in MyVMK!

Karalora

So...who remembers my old thread about the Disney Animated Canon in MyVMK? No one? The link's right there; just sayin'...

But what with Incredibles Month ongoing, I thought it would be nice to do the same for Pixar! Since Pixar is so much younger than Disney, there's no need to divide its portfolio into distinct "eras," and since it makes such use of sequels, it would be redundant to examine every film individually. Instead, I'll be looking at the different "franchises" or movie series under the Pixar label.

Toy Story (1995, 1999, 2010)
The Toy Story trilogy is probably Pixar's most popular franchise to date, and has been honored with multiple different rides in Disney theme parks. This makes it a bit odd that the only Toy Story items in the game are those relating to the ride that's not in Disneyland/the Magic Kingdom. In fact, if you didn't already know that Midway Mania was a Toy Story ride, you'd never guess from the ride parts and booths available in MyVMK, which are designed with a fairly generic carnival motif and betray no hint of Toy Story's unique cast of characters.
EDIT: Easter 2016 brings us an egg based on Wheezy the squeaky penguin. Sure, I'll accept it...

"a bug's life" (1998)
This, by contrast, is one of Pixar's least beloved titles. It has some theme park attractions of its own, but they're nothing to write home about. There's no insect-themed furniture in our game.

Monsters, Inc./University (2001, 2013)
Thanks to the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor in Magic Kingdom, there's an entire suite of items in MyVMK related to this franchise--from a humble lamp through teleporters in three colors to the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor Guest Room itself!

Stay tuned for the next post!

Last edited:

Karalora

Finding Nemo/Dory (2003, 2016)
This is another much-beloved Pixar title that is often tapped for attractions, most notably Disneyland's own Submarine Voyage. Hence we have a collection of underwater items--coral chairs, a diving helmet lamp, actual sections of submarine--with the Finding Nemo label (not to be confused with the Captain Nemo label, since that's a different concept altogether).

The Incredibles (2004, 2018)
Seeing how Incredibles Month is what prompted me to start this thread, I think I can safely say we're covered here. New furni items, a new room...and we're not even halfway through the month yet! Can't wait to see what's next!

Cars (2006, 2011)
The Cars franchise is Pixar's most profitable thanks to its sheer merchandising potential. Cars Land is a pretty big deal in California Adventure, but there haven't been any Cars attractions in the Disneyland-style parks yet, and neither have we received any furniture items relating to it in MyVMK.

Thank you for making these! I loved reading the Disney Eras one (and especially the commentary where I learned so much) and I enjoy how you are making one for the pixar films now. The Captain Nemo reference is to 20,000 leagues under the sea with the submarine ride in MK and DLR (and captains quest quarters and the Nautilus room). If there's anything you need help with, I would love to help out with it! Great job once again!

Karalora

Ratatouille (2007)
It's a lovely film, but not very suitable for adaptation into a theme park ride. (Not that this stopped them from building one...in Paris, that is.) Accordingly, it has no presence in MyVMK.

WALL*E (2008)
This, on the other hand, would seem like a shoe-in for Tomorrowland, but has never been so honored in any Disney park, perhaps because grim warnings about pollution aren't the sort of thing people want when they're on vacation. Cute robots are awesome though, and cute robots is exactly what we have in the game with the WALL*E and EVE pet pads!

Up (2009)
The only theme park presence this movie has is a character meet-and-greet in California Adventure (note that the movie does not take place in California), and its only item in MyVMK is an egg from the 2015 Easter egg hunt.

Karalora

Brave (2012)
There are no permanent attractions relating to Brave in the Disney theme parks, though Merida makes character appearances in her capacity as an official Disney Princess. Nonetheless, the movie was very successful and its sense of cultural identity is so strong that it's a little surprising we haven't seen an iconic furnishings in our game.

Inside Out (2015)
A movie about anthropomorphic emotions is hard to translate into a Disneyland-style theme, so it is equally absent from the parks. We did have a special themed HOST event around the time the movie came out, with some themed furni in the game room, but none of it was ever released to the players.

The Good Dinosaur (2015)
This film, by contrast, is surprisingly generic in appearance given its high concept, and has gotten only lukewarm reviews from both critics and the general public. It has not appeared in any form in MyVMK, to no one's surprise.

Karalora

July was Finding Dory Month, and we got a huge collection of ocean/aquarium themed items and a few character figures. It's not too exciting to me since Finding Nemo was already pretty well represented and this is mostly more of the same.