Return of the Kraken

Amy

Head Administrator
Hey everyone,

This is just to let you know that in a moment, I will be pushing an update to bring the kraken back to the POTC game. For those of you who don't know, the kraken was a sea monster that ate you in the original game if you were AFK.

If you are AFK for more than 15 seconds (subject to change), your ship will be destroyed. Unfortunately, due to different methods of potentially abusing this, we have had to make it so if any ship gets krakened you won't get any credits for the whole game. I would like to point out however, that this is NOT necessarily permanent. If it becomes an issue for real games, we will change it around to make sure people still get paid for playing genuinely.

Feel free to give any feedback on this change but please be civil. This was something that existed in the original game, our CURRENT method of handling payouts is a little extreme, but as I said if it's an issue we will adjust it so please stay calm for the time being and make any suggestions you would like to make.

If anyone does this on purpose to be a jerk, please report them, as this falls under our "don't be a jerk" rule.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
Good idea, even for the people that play friendlies this will avoid the leeches that just sit there all day and do absolutely nothing.
Will it though? How long does round in friendly last? I feel like running to the flag/running back probably takes a little less then 15 seconds (all guesswork of course, I don't play friendlies so would not know)

Also @Amy any chance of getting the classic fireballs from dead ships back? IIRC the number of fireballs were related to how much ammo you died with. Also, gold-only overtime?

Jay.

Will it though? How long does round in friendly last? I feel like running to the flag/running back probably takes a little less then 15 seconds (all guesswork of course, I don't play friendlies so would not know)

Also @Amy any chance of getting the classic fireballs from dead ships back? IIRC the number of fireballs were related to how much ammo you died with. Also, gold-only overtime?
I’ve never timed it, but it could take close to 15 seconds or a little more, depends on if everyone’s on the right page lol. I mean it’s better than nothing, you can’t really decrease the time anymore in my opinion. What about the people that go afk really quick? Would kinda suck. I think it’s just a good step forward.

Last edited:

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
I’ve never timed it, but it could take close to 15 seconds or a little more, depends on if everyone’s on the right page lol. I mean it’s better then nothing, you can’t really decrease the time anymore in my opinion. What about the people that go afk really quick? Would kinda suck. I think it’s just a good step forward.
I mean I do agree it is better than nothing

Hey everyone,

This is just to let you know that in a moment, I will be pushing an update to bring the kraken back to the POTC game. For those of you who don't know, the kraken was a sea monster that ate you in the original game if you were AFK.

If you are AFK for more than 15 seconds (subject to change), your ship will be destroyed. Unfortunately, due to different methods of potentially abusing this, we have had to make it so if your ship gets krakened you won't get any credits. I would like to point out however, that this is NOT necessarily permanent. If it becomes an issue for real games, we will change it around to make sure people still get paid for playing genuinely.

Feel free to give any feedback on this change but please be civil. This was something that existed in the original game, our CURRENT method of handling payouts is a little extreme, but as I said if it's an issue we will adjust it so please stay calm for the time being and make any suggestions you would like to make.

If anyone does this on purpose to be a jerk, please report them, as this falls under our "don't be a jerk" rule.

Thanks!
Don't think it's fair to harm the entire team for one individual for going afk. Your writing is a bit misleading here as it seems that whilst reading this it seems that if the individual goes afk and gets eaten by the kraken that only that individual gets no credits but actually playing with this update the entire team gets punished with no credits for the individual's mishap.

Liv

I've noticed the kraken starts immediately after the start of a match, which caused some people to get crunched right away if they lag. Is it possible to delay the start of the kraken?

yeahtoast

I'm just a girl in the world.
I think it is better to punish the person who went afk rather than everybody playing. When we are all trying to play a game, if one person lags or disconnects or goes afk for even ONE round, we all get punished, even if you're on the opposite team. I'm all good with keeping everybody engaged, but when one person ruins it for all it makes it difficult to even want to play pirates.

I'm honestly confused why people are so discouraged by friendlies? No one is hiding them, or cheating? Everyone who plays friendlies is open and honest about it... why the big stink? Just curious. I've played both genuine and friendlies, just curious why people consider that "cheating" when everyone involved in the game is aware of what is happening and everyone obtains optimal credits, no one is being shorted.