Return of the Kraken

I would like to start by saying yes I am an avid friendly player.

I LOVE the kraken, a lot of the time what happens in a friendly game is everyone goes afk because of either being a clone or at work or others things and then you are the one stuck running until you basically just give up, which really sucked. Because of the kraken I will admit I have went out of my comfort zone and played a few games of ship battle and regular capture the flag. Would I have done this if the kraken wasnt put in? No probably not because ill admit that it was so easy and so convenient to play a friendly match and go afk and earn keys and credits.

Is it fair that i earned more than an active player? No. Did i feel bad? Not really. Because us as players never really see the impact we are having on the economy we just think its because of something else and that we arent a factor at all, to us its just easy credits.

Amy had a good point in saying that no game out there lets you sit afk while you earn credits (or whatever the currency is) if it did then it wouldnt be a GAME.

Playing regular non-friendly games today made me realize 1. I really suck at regular games(and will play more to get better). 2. You can still socialize with friends. 3. Yes you dont get as many credits but its VERY satisfying when you do win those credits and those keys.

The kraken is trial and error and i dont want to sound like a broken record and say everything thats already been said.

Overall I appreciate ALL the staff for everything they have done and how they are handling the situation at hand.

:surrender:

The whole team losing credits is very wrong, punish the afk player, and quite frankly lag is often the culprit not afk...... i played several games and looked back and realized at least 3 games paid zero.
IMO, putting in Kraken is FAR less important than fixing scoring, broken maps, team scoring in CTF ( real CTF) which lead to real teamwork as the game was meant to be played.
anything that discourages mindless friendly play .... is great, let players learn to play again! So many have no clue how to play for real.
I wonder if the friendly players realize there are far more credits to be won playing CTF for real, and that CTF may yield a smaller win at the end but typical real games are usually much faster than battle so it averages out. Add team scoring, and you get teamwork, and selfless play, and better scoring all around, as the original CTF game was on VMK. You didn't mind sacrificing for your team since it all payed off if you won.
Thanks for the continued effort Amy. Nobody should assume fixing things is easy, it's not.[DOUBLEPOST=1533891638][/DOUBLEPOST]
I understand that but whats the point of having a friendly when everyone has to run around blindly every 15 secs while two people run the flag? Us friendly players appreciated the fact that our team members took on the responsibility to run for a few games and then switch. For some of us friendly games were not about greed, but about a game strategy that not only was easy credits but was fair to everyone involved.
There is absolutely no strategy to friendly play, it's not even a game. It's credit mining with no effort, very unusual in any other game you have to work to make coin......

Last edited:
I love how you are using the fact that the kraken was part of the original game to justify that this was intend to kill friendlies so we can play the game exactly how you want us to...... this is NOT synonymous to your ship being be destroyed in the OG game, as it did not cause the whole team to lose everything instantly!!!

This game already takes up so much time to play but we all love it so we fit it into our lives.... events, sits, earning credits/keys, time to socialize/trade, building, crates etc. Is it so insane that people want to find a ways to make it easier, earning credits already takes up so much time when many people don't even enjoy the methods of earning them........ yes most people are doing nothing whilst playing potc EXCEPT giving it their time!!! Time is effort!! and when you take turns running like many people do, its nice to take time to sit and rest whilst someone takes over before you have to run again... runners cant even sit once they get the flag.[DOUBLEPOST=1533901841][/DOUBLEPOST]DOESN'T THIS MAKE POTC CLONING FAIR NOW ANYWAY????? If two players use clones to start a game and put them on one side and let the kraken eat them they are not gaining a unfair advantage in minigames because they are still earning what they would without the clones????? LOL

Last edited:

iDark

I think it is a good idea to bring back the kraken in all honestly. It was in the OG game so it really makes sense to include it in myvmk. Now if you are in a non-friendly game and people start going afk on purpose it's really dumb for people who are actually putting in effort to not gain any credits....

Now my opinion on friendlies. As someone who has basically been here since day 1, friendly games have been going on for AGES. All of you need to just deal with the fact that these friendly games have been going on for well over a year now. I think it is really petty to tell people how they should or should not be playing a game. The argument over friendlies has been in waves and honestly it is really getting. On the other hand, I can agree that friendlies are just a way to get credits the lazy way. I used to play friendly games and just sitting there for hours doing nothing, despite all the credits, gets really boring. In OG vmk you actually had to WORK for the credits. Be thankful as well that in myvmk you are actually getting more credits on a weekday when its not double credits compared to the OG game. It is frustrating that people who play friendlies are just hoarding credits and getting way more keys compared to other players. Additionally, I agree with what people have been saying about pumping in more credits. To add to that, this was a huge problem in VFK, people had access to credits very easily which made them worthless and trading just went down hill and values went up due to terrible inflation on the game.

So to those who play friendlies, I challenge you to put yourself in the shoes of people who play ship battle who may not be getting enough credits and not as many keys as you before complaining the kraken is "killing friendlies." Literally Amy just added this feature and people are already going off on her. Before criticizing her, maybe actually give constructive criticism on how to improve the kraken feature. I do not even understand how friendlies is even relevant to the OG post when I did not see anywhere that the purpose of the kraken was to kill friendlies....

I'm always late to the debate thread parties so I snagged some quotes to input my input

To be fair, what other game can you play while not paying attention? Kinda defeats the purpose of even playing, but alright.
Hungry hungry hippo and clicker/tap-esque games come to mind, and neither of those are on myvmk so..... yeah

For some of us friendly games were not about greed, but about a game strategy that not only was easy credits but was fair to everyone involved.
Ah yes, the old "Click one and done" strat. And how is it fair to the players actually trying in ship battles or legit capture the flag games. By the time they finish a game or two you "friendly" players as you want to call yourselves have like 3-5 keys and plenty more credits.

friendly games were created in the first place SO PEOPLE COULD BE AFK for a few seconds and not pentalize the entire group.
Friendly games as far as I remember weren't even a thing in classic vmk cause there was always enough people in the lobbies for games. And even then the vast majority preferred ship battles CAUSE IT WAS FUN. Friendly games were more than likely created for people that couldn't aim or who wanted credits doing the absolute bare minimum, or both. And when you are picking a game type I see "Ship Battle" and "Capture the flag" nowhere do I see the gamemode you speak of titled "Friendly"

I've seen people play friendly bc they just want to earn credits and keys while they're cooking, or cleaning, or doing homework so like ??????? I don't understand why that's a problem.
Cause you aren't playing cooking Mama, you are playing Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't recall ever seeing Jack Sparrow just sit still in the middle of the ocean getting free gold. Also if you are cooking you shouldn't be playing vmk cause you'll probably burn your food or house over virtual currency, and if you should be doing your homework but opt to grind credits instead what are you gonna tell your teacher? "Sorry teach, I had to strategize my time and play a game for credits instead of completing your homework you assigned me, I hope this has no effect on my grades." ??

Okay so aside from those quotes, I would say adjust the time a little bit. From 15 to 20 seconds, that should be enough time for the lagspike to be over with I say, it also forces players to... (Forgive my language) click on the game 3 times per minute. Kraken should punish the individual, not the whole team. And this should be more than plenty to nerf friendly potc games. Just look at all this salt

I do not even understand how friendlies is even relevant to the OG post when I did not see anywhere that the purpose of the kraken was to kill friendlies....
Because in another thread that has been going on the past few days about the economy many people have been complaining about friendlies and Host_Nala responded like this:

It would be hard to ban friendlies all together unless we had someone constantly watching the lobbies. However, something we can do to help combat friendlies is adding the kraken back.

McQuack

Am on vacation so can’t write one of my signature 20 paragraph novel posts but the Kraken is not a new feature in MyVMK it was implemented in 2015 just a few weeks after POTC came out (when friendlies were not even much of a thing yet). It was removed a bit later because of a bug that was being exploited where people would go AFK just so the winning team would get the bonus credits, which is I’m assuming why the current method removes credits from everyone.

I forget how VMK dealt with this (besides charging people to play POTC) but this is not a new feature and has existed before friendlies. It prevents people from going AFK, something every game does.

Time to ride TSM bye

I love how you are using the fact that the kraken was part of the original game to justify that this was intend to kill friendlies so we can play the game exactly how you want us to......
The Kraken was added so that you play the game, period.

Pirates was always designed to be the competitive game it is, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise were designed for those seeking a more "friendly" environment. This is the setup the original VMK ran by and I don't understand what the difficulty is in that. If you want to farm credits play Haunted Mansion, if you want to take the gamble of making more credits, then put your skills to the test and play Pirates with others.

Also, the Kraken changes literally nothing about playing friendly pirates either way, unless of course you're using clones within the game...which is against the rules.

The Kraken was added so that you play the game, period.

Pirates was always designed to be the competitive game it is, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise were designed for those seeking a more "friendly" environment. This is the setup the original VMK ran by and I don't understand what the difficulty is in that. If you want to farm credits play Haunted Mansion, if you want to take the gamble of making more credits, then put your skills to the test and play Pirates with others.

Also, the Kraken changes literally nothing about playing friendly pirates either way, unless of course you're using clones within the game...which is against the rules.
I actually don't dislike the kraken, I rarely play potc if I can't run and I like to, so it shouldn't really affect me. I have also never ever used clones to play potc yet I still don't like it bc if someone else gets eaten on my team I lose too. Other than that I have no problem with a kraken...

opinion on kraken:
-Cool the kraken is back! I've never played with the kraken before but it always looked cool in old vmk videos.(or maybe they're memories) I may not even play any time soon because I'm just too lazy to play friendlies now. (we'll get back to that later) I kind of want to test out the lagspike for it, to see if it will affect me (in either game).

-I'll agree with some people on this: why punish the whole team? I know people want to argue it's there to kill friendlies (eh yeah..) but even with regular games, it's still unfair? Yeah it's trial and error so hopefully this is just an error and we'll be somewhat happier. DCs happen, lag happens. That's the natural thing from any laptop, computer, or game.

opinion on the other doo-doo on this thread:
-This community has become very toxic since friendlies became a thing.

-I can see both sides of the argument, but there's no way in heck should we be putting down friendlies ("they ruined everything!!"). It's just not nice and honestly irritating seeing it every other post on this god forsaken forum.

-I can agree some people are lazy. When I played, some would just not come back from afk but yet ya'll want to go ahead and join our game when it ends?? Nah fam. Stop being "afk". I admit I have been afk but college homework :u and if someone needs me to run I'll run!

conclusion:
- yay kraken (but fix it), boo toxic (knock it off)

edit: lol also, who in the world is playing potc with clones? it's literally against the rules and there should be literally no way you can continue (it gives you a warning at some point)

edit 2: -Also, why are friendlies so mad about this? Just literally click around.....

Last edited:

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
Because in another thread that has been going on the past few days about the economy many people have been complaining about friendlies and Host_Nala responded like this:
Key word being combat. Perhaps reduce would have been a better word choice. We're not taking friendlies away from you. We're just making you work for it in the slightest bit. You wanna take turns winning? Go for it! Just be sure to click once or twice.

Amy

Head Administrator
Am on vacation so can’t write one of my signature 20 paragraph novel posts but the Kraken is not a new feature in MyVMK it was implemented in 2015 just a few weeks after POTC came out (when friendlies were not even much of a thing yet). It was removed a bit later because of a bug that was being exploited where people would go AFK just so the winning team would get the bonus credits, which is I’m assuming why the current method removes credits from everyone.

I forget how VMK dealt with this (besides charging people to play POTC) but this is not a new feature and has existed before friendlies. It prevents people from going AFK, something every game does.

Time to ride TSM bye
This is why. There were other ways too, but almost everything had some kind of exploitable loophole. That's why I started it like this then we look at our options if abuse of it becomes a problem because at least then we don't have a huge abuse issue.

Key word being combat. Perhaps reduce would have been a better word choice. We're not taking friendlies away from you. We're just making you work for it in the slightest bit. You wanna take turns winning? Go for it! Just be sure to click once or twice.
Yeah, I wasn't discussing your comment, I was just explaining why people were bringing up friendlies in this thread and I work for my friendlies bc I like to run a lot, i have no problem with the kraken making people move once or twice I just don't think we should all lose our credits for one person getting eaten. I thought Amy said we were just losing credits for that round.

Idea:

Maybe the kraken should set the score for an AFK player to zero for the round, but not kill them. That way, even if the other team goes AFK, the winning team still has to either run over and kill their boats, or return the flag (in CTF). So the AFK people still get nothing, the non-AFK people actually do get something, and there's no reason to exploit the kraken, because it just results in a heavily-nerfed friendly battle/CTF game.

Fruits

I don't think paying to enter POTC games is necessarily the worst idea...Maybe 200 credits to pay-in, and the winning team gets each of their 200 credits back + whatever they won. Losers receive only what they earned ingame.

PlayerOne

I shoot when you're stuck.
I don't think paying to enter POTC games is necessarily the worst idea...Maybe 200 credits to pay-in, and the winning team gets each of their 200 credits back + whatever they won. Losers receive only what they earned ingame.
I know forever ago Amy mentioned the possibility of a "betting" version of POTC (that includes 1v1) that allows people to buy in to the game and the winner(s) get the losers buyin. While I think something like this is far away if it were to ever happen, I think it's a neat idea.

IIRC in the original VMK, it cost credits to make the game, but not to play it. I'm not a fan of the idea of making people pay to play Pirates. Discourages new people and people who want to get better at the game because if they are constantly losing they will be losing credits overall. Also would encourage more unbalanced teams. If I'm on a team of obviously experienced players that are winning constantly, I'll usually switch over to the other side, because it's more fun when it's not one sided. I think implementing a credit cost for playing would discourage that.