Tonights Host Event

crazyem

First of all I appreciate the pop up host event that started at 10:15 tonight. It was a nice surprise and I think I speak for everyone that we were very excited.

I entered the queue right when it opened and was 27 in line. The line moved a little and then I was stuck at 9 in queue for over a half hour. Finally we all get the message that finalist have been chosen and to go in and vote. First of all, how can finalist be picked from one round of people going through the queue? Not very fair for those of us who were waiting over 40+ minutes and didn't get to be part of the "costume party"

So next we all enter the room and are on a ride path to "vote". Well we got in, got a quick glimpse of the costumes and then we were out. No chance to vote and honestly with people talking, I couldn't see a single costume.

If this type of event happens again I think it needs some work so its not just the first 8 people in the queue get to play or the friends of the host.

HOST_Thanos

Mad Titan
MyVMK Staff
Hello!

First and foremost, thank you for your feedback! This was the first event that GHOST_Kevin came up with, and we knew it was a new idea, so we were using the pop up as a trial, of sorts! That being said, I apologize that you hopped right in the queue, but were unable to make it into the room. Id like to offer an explanation of how the game worked, and to help you understand why the queue moved the way it did...

As the event began, we had 7 players enter and take seats on the candy. They all then had the chance to show off their costumes, after which we choose our favorite. From there, the other 6 players in the round left on the consolation track, and we had 6 new players enter and we repeated the same process. From there it went to 5, then to 4, 3, and 2. In total we had 27 people come through and play. Thus we played 6 rounds, but each round consisted of less players.

As this functioned much like a cute or boot, where each contestant had the option to tell us WHAT their costume was, it understandably took a little longer as we went through the rounds. The same can be said for the deliberation process that we had, as we did not always agree ;).

In the end, we had our winners, and it was a last minute idea to incorporate the voting process. It wasn't until after the first few players came through that we saw the flaw in it, but by then it was too late to adjust, as the metaphorical floodgates had been opened.

I know it can be hard to believe, but I do understand how frustrating it is to get right in the queue, but not be able to make it into the room. That said, I took notes throughout this event on what could be improved to streamline the process, and Kevin and I will be working to make sure that everyone who would like to participate in this event (because lets be honest, who wouldn't want to) will be able to.

We will make these adjustments, and get the next event announced with more time to ensure everyone can participate. I hope you'll stick with us when we do it again, because we would love to see your costumes!

P.S. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them here or send them to me in a PM! We value your opinions on the matter!

I think it would've been great to have arranged the event somewhat like the Trivia games. All the players immediately enter a room and are invisible and can't talk. Then, the hosts could randomly select people from the room to participate and pull them in. Let's say, for example, you have 7 players play in the first round. Then, the hosts could send out a quiz to the audience to vote for a winner. This would allow players who didn't get a chance to play the ability to participate. Then, the finalist from that round is moved to a separate seating area where they wait until the next rounds are finished, introducing 7 new players each time. Then, a final round is done with however many finalists and players continue to vote.

This would've eliminated two problems. 1) More players would be able to show off their costumes (say, 5 rounds times 7 players = 35 players including 5 finalists), and 2) Everyone has an opportunity to vote and participate in some way. I noticed at one point the queue was 100+ players long. Since it would've taken forever to see everyone's costumes the way the event ran tonight, I feel like this would be a good compromise.

Sorry if my writing/grammar is off, I need to sleep. But maybe these ideas could be considered for the next costume contest!! I love the concept and if executed correctly, it could make this month feel even more special.
:imagination:

crazyem

Host_Thanos thank you for the response! The idea is awesome in theory, I like the idea Klimt had about running it similar to the trivia events. Not sure how challenging that would be for hosts to see everyone’s costume but it would allow more people to come in and play.

Is there a way to display cards on people’s screen like the trick or treat event? That would have been a cool way for people to vote once the finalist were selected.

waterfallglow

balance is important both in life and art.....
What about.. instead of doing it like an event, doing it like the forums "Design A Pumpkin Contest"? This way everybody can enter? Then when winners are chosen you could have them posted (along with a picture of their character/costume) on newsletter to share with the community? Like have everyone enter only 1 costume or favorite costume? Of course it might be a bit short noticed to do something like that and of course this was only a thought that came to me. Maybe for next year? Also, thank you @HOST_Thanos for the information response. I like the idea of a costume contest but I do agree it does need some tweaking. -hugs hugs-

HOST_Thanos

Mad Titan
MyVMK Staff
I think it would've been great to have arranged the event somewhat like the Trivia games.
Is there a way to display cards on people’s screen like the trick or treat event? That would have been a cool way for people to vote once the finalist were selected.
While I absolutely adore these ideas, they would require special coding that would take a little while to happen. That being said, I will bring them up to Kevin, as this is her event, and let her make the choice on how to go about it going forward! Thank you for the ideas!

What about.. instead of doing it like an event, doing it like the forums "Design A Pumpkin Contest"? This way everybody can enter? Then when winners are chosen you could have them posted (along with a picture of their character/costume) on newsletter to share with the community? Like have everyone enter only 1 costume or favorite costume? Of course it might be a bit short noticed to do something like that and of course this was only a thought that came to me. Maybe for next year? Also, thank you @HOST_Thanos for the information response. I like the idea of a costume contest but I do agree it does need some tweaking. -hugs hugs-
I totally enjoy this idea too, but as you said it would be a little short notice to make it happen! Ill be sure to keep it on the back burner for next year though!