Undecided about DCP (Rant)

No sorry this isn't a rant towards dcp, I just want to get something off my chest and get opinions from everyone.

Background about me:
I am a junior college student, majoring in animation. I won't be done till fall 2019 or spring 2020 (or the latest, fall 2020) and I do not mind going to DCP after graduating. I applied 5 times, made it to WBI finally and got 1 phone interview out of the 5 (but never did it bc I still have to go to school and I wanted to see how far I can go by editing my application, first 2 times was stuck in what's now called "Application" (aka submission back then)) so I'm confident I might land a role if I rocked the phone interview.

The problem:
My parents disapproval.
They really want me to find internships on animation early and will be disappointed if I go to DCP.

Fallouts:
1. I don't want to leave my stuff at home, I don't want them to throw away or sell my stuff.
2. If I were to go to DCP, then somehow get termed, I will never hear the end of it from them....
3. If i were to get my own place then do DCP, it'll be too costly. Would have to deal with expensive rent AND housing.
Edit:4. I mean I can put stuff in a storage but regardless there's still more to my situation and anxiety is just whoo here's another uncool thing that can happen

I'm at lost, I am unhappy. BF says do it, my heart says do it, brain says don't it'll ruin your career and be a disappointment.

Any thoughts? Insight? Advice? Thank you...

Last edited:

Sunshine

Mrs. Boba Fett
Hi, I am an alum of the DCP. I did Fall 2014 and extended to Spring 2015.

I guess my main question is why do you want to do the Disney College Program? Out of all of the roles you could get, none of them would apply to furthering you for a career in animation.
My second question is, are your parents helping pay for school in any way or supporting you by letting you live at home or paying for any of your bills?

Getting termed from the program really isn't all too common.. follow the rules and you'll be fine. Don't call out 20 times and you'll still have your job.

The other side of me wants to tell you to just go for it because you only live once. However, it is completely up in the air where you'd be placed. CP's can't give away their shifts anymore. Some of the roles and areas are physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausting. I worked as a CP at Pirates and consistently had 60-70 hour weeks for 2 months straight. The lowest I ever saw was around 52 hours. The managers didn't like our CP group and we were not treated nicely. It was not a good situation to be in, considering we were there for 60 hours a week. I had a phenomenal first program at Columbia Harbour House - however I gave many of my shifts away (can't do anymore) and the managers were all like my second moms and dads.

I don't think this program is really make or break. Disney looks nice on a resume when it applies to what you want to do. If your parents are supporting you in any way, I would listen to them. If my parents weren't supportive of me going, I wouldn't have been able to bring myself to go. I made a lot of friends on the program and wouldn't take back my experience for the world.. but let me assure you, it was not always easy or fun work.

@Sunshine
1. I want to live this as an experience some time in my life. Just for that. For being in the park, for hopefully great roommates, just have fun despite harsh work and weather conditions. I'm aware there is no correlation to my major and future degree and will gain nothing from it and that's totally fine with me :). DCP is just a temporary thing anyway.
2. My mother is paying for some school expenses, I am on loans, but she does pay for rent at my shared apartment (not the traditional share though sadly).

3. I'm also aware they can't give away shifts anymore(ugh). I really try to keep myself updated with everything revolved around it and have researched a lot. I've worked many retail works and been pushed to my limits so disney doesn't scare me necessarily and I know it's not all rainbow and sunshine. I always hear stories about nasty managers, customers, etc. and I hope I wouldn't be the unlucky few with the managers.

I'm not sure what you mean by supporting? That's the main problem here

Sunshine

Mrs. Boba Fett
I mean, it sounds like you already have your mind made up lol

I'm just saying, if your parents are supporting you financially in anyway, I think it would be disrespectful to not do what they request. Just a personal moral.

I mean, it sounds like you already have your mind made up lol

I'm just saying, if your parents are supporting you financially in anyway, I think it would be disrespectful to not do what they request. Just a personal moral.
Quite understandable and I don't want to seem like I'm a uhh ungrateful child but I'd still like to spread my wings too..