Upcoming changes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take the friendly pirate debate somewhere else though. The same things has been said so many times and on multiple threads.
We get it, they're ruining the economy; alright, staff can alter it so people can stop complaining; yeah, I see the economy going down.
:2cents: I'll say this again as I did before on another thread: no one has to quit just because they can't play regular pirates. That's on them only, not friendly.

Anyway, can we please address with the "issue" of disappearing keys? @HOST_Nala you said they can be extended another day when myvmk came back but people were missing keys the day we came back.

I agree. I just want to play the game and have fun doing it. All the tenseness and passive aggressiveness is lame

Let me start off by saying I don't like friendly games as much as the next person, but there really is no way to ban it. Something like that is pretty much impossible to enforce. I think the best way to go about "fixing" the friendly games problems is to just make the payout of Capture the Flag significantly less.
That wouldn't fix the problem, though. That would just cause the people that currently play friendly CTF to switch over to friendly Ship Battle (where one team just lets the other kill them). Friendly ship battle is already arguably the more profitable option, and you can't adjust the credit ratio on that without negatively affecting the people that play competitive ship battle (of which there are few since the client switch). Ultimately, the only friendly-proof multiplayer game is one that awards points solely on the basis of how long you play it. But that would basically just be friendlies, with fewer steps.

The only way to have competitive multi-player games, and to also not have friendlies, is to have moderators watching the games and banning the people that do friendlies. There is no other way to prevent friendlies from happening.

McQuack

That wouldn't fix the problem, though. That would just cause the people that currently play friendly CTF to switch over to friendly Ship Battle (where one team just lets the other kill them). Friendly ship battle is already arguably the more profitable option, and you can't adjust the credit ratio on that without negatively affecting the people that play competitive ship battle (of which there are few since the client switch). Ultimately, the only friendly-proof multiplayer game is one that awards points solely on the basis of how long you play it. But that would basically just be friendlies, with fewer steps.

The only way to have competitive multi-player games, and to also not have friendlies, is to have moderators watching the games and banning the people that do friendlies. There is no other way to prevent friendlies from happening.
How so? The reason CTF is the preferred method of friendly games is because only 1 person from each team needs to be active for everyone to reap the rewards. All it takes is 2 people to click the flag for all 8 people in the game to get the credits. Even the losing team ends up profiting in the end because they still get to keep all their rewards.

In ship battle, everyone needs to be active and participating if they want the credits. If they follow the "one team kills the other" rule, the losing team will end up with very little, unlike in CTF where everyone gets credits regardless of winning or losing. You also can't be AFK in ship battle because points are accumulated by your score alone, not your teams score (besides the 100 credit bonus for winning, and that's given in CTF too). So if players really want to play "friendly" ship battle, they'll - at the very least - have to actively participate in the game to receive the rewards, and the losing team will come out with significantly less (as it should be).

Friendly games can't be monitored. It can be deterred, but there is no way it can be monitored and banned without opening a huge can of worms. What you're asking for is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to enforce.

It is true that mostly all the items released in the beginning of the game aren't really around much anymore because most of the people that have them have left. That's why the "value" of old ultra rares, or even regularly distributed items, is so high the seller can basically name their price because there's usually only one person at any given time trading it.
Of course, but in lieu of those players coming back, there needs to be a different solution. Selling a small amount of ultra rares at fair but still high prices or making an item a gold chest prize will not destroy the game. New players don't have a chance and many don't stick around. It's not an effective way to grow a community.

Well if you're playing 2v2 friendly ship battles, then only two people need to be active at any given time, which is the same as friendly CTF. Friendly ship battles are also significantly faster, which means that although the losing team in any given round doesn't get many credits, the speed of the rounds makes up most, if not all of the difference (not to mention that since the rounds are quicker, you get keys faster).

In theory, everyone would have to at least be active at some point in time to reap the rewards, but the active team could also just arrange to give some percentage of their credits to their AFK counterparts (and, actually, you could have a friendly ship battle with only one active player if they arranged to compensate everyone else for their time).

I'm not asking for friendly games to be monitored and for people to be banned. That's more work than it's worth for a community that's already on-edge. I'm just saying that there is no solution short of that which will prevent friendly minigames from being played. I agree that friendlies are dumb, but no one wants staff spying and banning people for doing them, so just give up and let it happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1526236555][/DOUBLEPOST]
Of course, but in lieu of those players coming back, there needs to be a different solution. Selling a small amount of ultra rares at fair but still high prices or making an item a gold chest prize will not destroy the game. New players don't have a chance and many don't stick around. It's not an effective way to grow a community.
Releasing ultra rare hats as gold chest prizes would absolutely destroy the economy of the game (at least if the odds were comparable to the current gold chest odds). If black flip was released in gold chests, the price would plummet from 2.5 million or whatever, to 150k overnight. And the whole market would be thrown for a tailspin because people would be scared that their ultra rare hat would be next. As someone that has studied economics a fair bit, this argument just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The super rare items in VMK are highly sought after precisely because there are very few of them. Not everyone can have a stitch hat or a black flip. If people are only playing the game in hopes of getting those items, then they can either grind for them, or they can give up. Either way, VMK is a game with a capitalist economy. You're not entitled to have everything in the game. There aren't enough stitch hats to go around. If there were, they wouldn't be worth anything.

The things that MyVMK could do to increase the amount of rare items in the game without sending the market into a complete tailspin would be to:

A. add super rare items as VERY rare drops from SITS (pls no) or chests. Like, 1 in 5000 rare.
B. establish a "price ceiling" by putting super rares in shops for a price slightly higher than the desired market rate. Then, prices can't exceed that amount, or else people will buy the item from the shop instead of from each other.

But at the end of the day, item scarcity is what makes game economies work. Maybe some people don't stick around because they give up on getting a black flip hat, but I think people would also leave out of sheer boredom if every item was easily obtained and you never really had to work for anything.

Last edited:
Airham- Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was not proposing to release ultra rare hats such as stitch or black flip in chests. I was supporting the decision to release items like the original mansion clocks in the gold chest and the specials items like captain quarters couch and green princess hat that were/are being sold for 2500 and 5000 credits respectively. I did take that a step further and say I wouldn't mind something like a stitch hat sold for 1 million in limited quantities. There are simply not enough of these items in the game for the current amount of players (hence a 2 million credit value), no less when many more arrive. I'm trying to help find a happy medium where the ultra rich can still thrive, but we don't scare away the new kids in the process.

I don't really understand why a 2 million credit value on some of the most expensive items in the game is inherently bad, though. If you just grind friendlies for 2 hours each weekend day and do literally nothing else in the game, you could make that many credits in 25 weeks. Which sounds like kind of a lot, but it's not an eternity, and that's with the bare minimum of effort. If you play more on the weekends, or play some on weekdays, or do some host events and sell the prizes, or do a pod event and sell the pods/prizes, or get a gold chest hat and sell it, then you can cut the wait time down, significantly. It's okay for some things to be expensive, and it's okay that not everyone can has everything. I really started playing the game less than a year ago, and was pixel rich in less than 2 months. It's really not that hard if you're willing to grind a little bit.

I think that the all time high scores lists for each game should be cleared and restarted. Most scores are so high, they could only be from hacking or using clones to achieve a higher score. Now that there are more serious repercussions for abusing clones, everyone should have a fair chance to make the all-time high score list.
this issue still needs to be addressed :) @staff

HOST_Nala

Forums Administrator
Staff member
Forums Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Staff
I think that the all time high scores lists for each game should be cleared and restarted. Most scores are so high, they could only be from hacking or using clones to achieve a higher score. Now that there are more serious repercussions for abusing clones, everyone should have a fair chance to make the all-time high score list.
this issue still needs to be addressed :) @staff
I dont think it's fair to the people who did earn that score legit, BUT I will take a look at all high scores and remove any that are found to be the result of scripting and/or clone abuse. (:

Shrek

The Next Hokage
I still see people on the high scores who I believe to have utilized clones or other forms of hacking to receive their scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.