What are you reading?

The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness, which is book 2 of the Chaos Walking Trilogy.
I really recommend this series!

The first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go, if anyone is curious.
"Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.
But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?" -Goodreads

mark

10 mins late to everything
What do you think of it??have u read other JG books
I'm on chapter 5 or 6 so far and the last two chapters were cool :) there was this quote that actually made me laugh, but i cant remember it, soz. I have read the typical TFiOS and Looking for Alaska. I like Looking for Alaska more (no they're not looking for the state).

cutecutemomo

Lol Ive
I'm on chapter 5 or 6 so far and the last two chapters were cool :) there was this quote that actually made me laugh, but i cant remember it, soz. I have read the typical TFiOS and Looking for Alaska. I like Looking for Alaska more (no they're not looking for the state).
Lol I've ofc read TFIOS but also read Katharine or something along the title omg already forgot the title, but didnt really like that one :/ wanted to know your opinion on PT bc I've heard its really good!

Guitar

I'm currently reading The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. My goal is to finish it before the end of summer since I started it at the beginning of this year 2015. I'm a slow reader. I'll get there! Love it so far. I've read The Hobbit and enjoyed that one so much! :)

Elessar

Tolkien is dense but amazing! I'm a fair reader, averaging 1 or 2 books a week when I can focus, but Tolkien usually takes me a couple weeks per book. If you're up for it after LOTR I'd highly recommend the extended works like the Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin.
I'm in the middle of the upcoming Welcome To Night Vale novel, which is great, though I recommend getting into the podcast before trying this book when it comes out in October because the flow might be tough to understand or appreciate. I'd recommend the podcast and subsequently the book to those who are into weird/speculative fiction like Lovecraft and most stories from The Twilight Zone, otherwise the relatively quirky nature of it may be lost on you. But not necessarily! It's great storytelling in general. (:

cutecutemomo

Everyday by David Levithan, I have to read it for school. If anyone's read it before can u tell me what u thought about the book?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

AngelAura

currently reading Little Altars Everywhere by Rebecca Wells :) started it today while out on the boat w fam and I'm already halfway through lol woops

@cutecutemomo I haven't read it, but I do own it and intend to read it. Its pretty popular among the booktubers (book community on youtube) though so I'm pretty excited to get to it eventually! Very cool that you are reading it for school!

Elessar

I read the new Harper Lee book and also just finished David Mitchell's "Black Swan Green," am now approaching the end of Mitchell's upcoming book "Slade House" (due out 27th October in the US).
This new one is like a sort of spin-off/companion to his latest novel "Bone Clocks." It's super short and it's an expansion on that short story he did on Twitter last year - very good, classic Mitchell approach to storytelling where you've got several "main" characters and each chapter is a new perspective. 10/10 would recommend, but read "Bone Clocks" first otherwise you might get confused.

Also about Harper Lee's "Go Set A Watchman" - very well-written, and (for me at least) it did not diminish the importance of "To Kill A Mockingbird." This book merely added depth to the narrative and gave me way more to think about, and will definitely change the way it's taught and discussed in schools if curriculum directors adopt the new canon.
It's not so much that Atticus Finch is a huge racist - it's that he's a 70-something year old man who lived in Alabama his whole life, growing up with certain ideals and a belief in law and state rights. He feels that the NAACP decision to integrate violates Alabama's 10th amendment right to make that decision for themselves and that the rapid integration is too much too soon, wouldn't give black people the chance to "catch up to the standards presented in the school systems" and would ultimately upset more people than it would help. Scout disagrees.
This book was very much a Scout-centric story whereas "Mockingbird" was more of an Atticus booster. But the point of "Watchman" is to paint this picture that "Mockingbird" was not really the whole truth; it was just how 6 year old Scout saw it and how she remembers it when she reflects on it, but that doesn't make it true. So "Watchman" is shattering the illusion of childhood innocence, removing those rose-colored glasses, and learning how to accept it when the people you admire and look up to disappoint you. The end of this book lead me to believe that Scout would stay in Alabama instead of returning to New York City where she had been living, all with the intent to help reform the mindset in Maycomb to accept integration and embrace the change.
All-in-all a solid read, definitely one to make you think, and absolutely not the absurd disappointment most reviews paint it out to be. Or at least, not in my opinion.

Whispered

@Elessar I have to agree with your Watchman analysis.

I'm currently reading John Green's "An Abundance of Katherines", also reading book 3 of the Nightshade series by Andrea Cremer, and I picked up another book that I can't remember at all what it is :o

Elessar

@Whispered omg thank you because more often than not reading reviews I feel alone in my views.

Finished Slade House like an hour after I posted hehe, VERY good companion to Bone Clocks or generally as a standalone it's great. Highly recommend picking it up at the end of October when it comes out (:
Now I'm on The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet, another David Mitchell. Golly, the man can write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk