Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

mark

10 mins late to everything
I have a poll made to select 1 from several books... these are a lot so idk what to choose (what most interested you / which did you read)

these r all easy but im forced to read them so :\

if you could tell me why you chose one of these that would be amazing :)

Elessar

I'm a fan of Vonnegut for a lot of reasons, primarily his satirical tongue-in-cheek approach to otherwise controversial issues. Slaughterhouse-Five is still easily in his top 3 best and definitely his most well-known and widely-read.
Ayn Rand is a little too radical for my taste, but you'd be well off reading that Jules Verne (literally everything the man wrote is gold), and Inherit The Wind is good as well.
But Slaughterhouse-Five is, in my opinion at least, the better choice.
(:

Cat

Are these a requirement for summer reading for school or something?
I read Ayn Rand's Anthem in high school, and I liked it. Wasn't my favorite book in the world, but it was short and concise. I also am a sucker for Dystopia books.
And @Elessar , Ayn Rand may be on the high end of the radical spectrum, but this is not really one of those books. Anthem is classified in the "Fiction, Psychology, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Speculative fiction" genres. Similar to George Orwell's 1984, or Lois Lowry's The Giver. I wouldn't let her more philosophical books like The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged deter you from it.

Elessar

@Cat I also read Anthem in high school. Never said the book itself was too radical, just that I felt she was in general; was more of a broad statement than specifically "don't read this because it's crazy." Anthem isn't a bad book, just not really my thing, though I read it in an afternoon and had the highest graded paper in my class for it. I didn't dislike it for lack of understanding or appreciation of the concept, seeing as I liked 1984 and The Giver; I just don't care for her overall.

mark

Are these a requirement for summer reading for school or something?
I read Ayn Rand's Anthem in high school, and I liked it. Wasn't my favorite book in the world, but it was short and concise. I also am a sucker for Dystopia books.
And @Elessar , Ayn Rand may be on the high end of the radical spectrum, but this is not really one of those books. Anthem is classified in the "Fiction, Psychology, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Speculative fiction" genres. Similar to George Orwell's 1984, or Lois Lowry's The Giver. I wouldn't let her more philosophical books like The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged deter you from it.
Yes, they're summer reading *SIGH* I would've much preferred honor's selection but I don't try according to my teacher :stare:[DOUBLEPOST=1436479750][/DOUBLEPOST]just giving this my final thought please vote at the least :)

Last edited:
i like the mysterious island but maybe I'm just partial to jules verne ( I've almost read all of his novels), id recommend it if you've read 20,000 leagues under the sea, because mysterious island is like a sequel to 20,000 leagues.

mark

i like the mysterious island but maybe I'm just partial to jules verne ( I've almost read all of his novels), id recommend it if you've read 20,000 leagues under the sea, because mysterious island is like a sequel to 20,000 leagues.
I'd read it but it's way toooooooooo long for summer XD