What did you eat in college?

Neda

I'm 4 days in to being on my own and I don't like it very much yet.. one of the things that's bothering me at the moment is deciding what to eat and making sure to eat.

I'm part of the meal plan at this school because we are required to be but I kind of don't really have friends yet so I avoid the cafeteria and just eat a sandwich in my dorm. We also don't have an oven in our dorm we just have a microwave (soo maybe if you have any recommendations of things to make in the microwave lmn :grin:)

Basically what I want to know is what did you eat in college?

Edit: Has anyone tried making spaghetti or anything in a coffee maker? I keep seeing it and I wonder if it actually work because we're allowed coffee makers sooo yeah have you done that?

Last edited:
what i used to do, was i would go and eat in the student union, and maybe bring my laptop or something to do whilst eating, to try and not eat in my room. also do you have a roommate? if so you could always grab something to eat with them ( thats what i did most of the time last year, although my roommate was one of my friends before i went to college, so i already knew her really well).
you'll meet some friends soon i promise, during the first weeks of college everyones in the same boat,so everyone will be looking to make friends, so just be friendly, and you will have people to eat with soon.
i hope this helps:)

As being my second year in college I still find it difficult to find foods that will be healthy as well as last the hours sitting in my back until I get a chance to sit down and eat it in between classes when I have a short break. I found these really good tupperware that have a freezer lid that keeps things cold throughout the day! So for lunch mainly I do a cold cut roll up (4 turkey slices), a sliced up apple, along with gluten free pretzels and some peanut butter to eat with the apple and pretzels! As for dinner, I keep it simple with just like a chicken breast cooked in the over with a steamer sweet potato (microwavable kind) and a veggie of any type, sometimes substituted with a side salad. Its all easy, affordable, and delicious. Nutritious foods keep you full longer so the lunch will hold you over until later! Hope this helps!

Neda

As being my second year in college I still find it difficult to find foods that will be healthy as well as last the hours sitting in my back until I get a chance to sit down and eat it in between classes when I have a short break. I found these really good tupperware that have a freezer lid that keeps things cold throughout the day! So for lunch mainly I do a cold cut roll up (4 turkey slices), a sliced up apple, along with gluten free pretzels and some peanut butter to eat with the apple and pretzels! As for dinner, I keep it simple with just like a chicken breast cooked in the over with a steamer sweet potato (microwavable kind) and a veggie of any type, sometimes substituted with a side salad. Its all easy, affordable, and delicious. Nutritious foods keep you full longer so the lunch will hold you over until later! Hope this helps!
I practically have the same for lunch :) but that dinner sounds so good I'll see what I can do w/o a oven.
I'm determined to make something good in the microwave lol

Frozen Celeste Mini Pizzas, Original or 4 Cheese.
Stouffer's Mac and Cheese.

We weren't allowed anything more than the communal microwave (they checked your dorm) and were a delight compared to the kitchen's creations. For example: Apricot Chipotle Roast "Beef" (read fat globules with slight bits of gristle on them) (also with bonus flakes of Tilapia.)

Heidi

First of all, buy a Pasta 'n More. It comes with a neat recipe book that teaches you all kinds of things you can make in the microwave. I used mine to make spaghetti, steam vegetables, make mashed potatoes, etc. It totally saved my diet while I was in the dorms. http://www.amazon.com/Pasta-More-Mi...8&qid=1440840926&sr=8-1&keywords=pasta+n+more

Second, try going to the cafeteria alone. It's really not as awkward as you may think. A lot of people go by themselves.

Finally, try to get a toaster oven if your dorm allows it. Ours didn't, but we just hit it for inspections and it was fine. I used my toaster oven to bake chicken, make quesadillas, pizzas, cookies, and lots more.

Neda

First of all, buy a Pasta 'n More. It comes with a neat recipe book that teaches you all kinds of things you can make in the microwave. I used mine to make spaghetti, steam vegetables, make mashed potatoes, etc. It totally saved my diet while I was in the dorms. http://www.amazon.com/Pasta-More-Microwave-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/B0017VIO36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440840926&sr=8-1&keywords=pasta n more

Second, try going to the cafeteria alone. It's really not as awkward as you may think. A lot of people go by themselves.

Finally, try to get a toaster oven if your dorm allows it. Ours didn't, but we just hit it for inspections and it was fine. I used my toaster oven to bake chicken, make quesadillas, pizzas, cookies, and lots more.
I was honestly considering buying something like a toaster oven lol but I'll see how things go before I do, and you know what now that I think about it my mom owns one of those Pasta 'n More things but I don't think I've ever seen her use it so I'll ask to have it when I see her next time and I'll see how it works out

hmmm I'm a sophomore in college and trying to think of the things I usually eat! I like beeferoni chef boyardee, but others find it weird lol. campbell's soups, I like the loaded soup there's like baked potato flavor or buffalo chicken. popcorn, those microwavable brownies or cupcakes can come in handy.

also!! in the freezer section i like to buy the frozen broccoli and cheese and then i put it in the microwave and it tastes really good! there's different kinds like cauliflower and buffalo sauce or corn and butter.

Last edited:
Whenever you visit back home, have your mom make you a giant casserole in one of those tin trays and you are set for dinner for like 5 days. Of course this is only good for those who aren't too far away from home.

Marissa

black lives matter
I did gain weight but lost 45 pounds that summer afterwards... (1) there is food everywhere (2) you are a growing woman (3) THERE IS A GYM. My uni has three gyms and also offers Yoga, Zumba, Insanity. Get yourself on over. If I workout in the morning I eat 2 bowls of cereal, a bagel, fruit. I played lacrosse so I had to eat, but I pretty much eat anything. I always had a side of fruit when I went to the Union. Just find your groove.

Otters

just get some healthy snacks like cottage cheese if you like it and fruit and then get some meal things and i sometimes
get like frozen chicken and canned or frozen vegetables bc its easy to make and wont go bad easily and tbh a lot of people
eat in the caf alone so dont feel too bad!