What do YOU want to happen with the game?

Jinx

You Owe Me A Soda! :D
I think that posting this thread to the forums is already a good start for the community and staff to communicate. I know most of what I'm about to say has been mentioned already, but it is so important for a brighter future of this game.

The most crucial thing that needs to be changed within MyVMK is the relationship between the staff and the players. The lack of professionalism and trust of staff was the biggest downfall. Due to this we lost so many players and staff members who were a staple to this game. The players who decided to still play lost trust within the staff overtime. As the number of people dwindled down; events, releases, quests, and overall the magic was disappearing. We truly appreciate all that you guys do, especially since you guys are volunteering your free time to help make MyVMK a better place. I am already seeing positive staff changes recently, and I think that's a step in the right direction. It's important to remember that we are all here to have fun. :)

Another important change that is needed is an increase/variety of events/releases. This will help bring back people who have left and give people more of an incentive to play. The game was so lively during the first year because there were so many things going on; dreams month, mystery crates, the shell mini game at Captain's Quest Quarters, ride-a-thons, hide and seek, and so on. I know that I'd love to see many of these type of events occur again. Rereleasing old items would be a great way for newer players to have a chance to obtain things they've missed and help the inflation in the economy ( Throwback Thursday is a great idea ). That being said, there are still items from the original game that have not been released yet. A combination of both rereleases and unreleased items from the original game would help give designers more time to work on quality items for the future. There hasn't truly been anything new and exciting to look forward to. Remember the release of the Pirates of the Caribbean game? There was so much excitement and activity, and to this day the majority of the community still plays. The release of the checkers mini game, the hidden mickey quest, and the gaiter waiter are great examples of things we'd love to look forward to. Again this is important to fix because when you think about where the most popular places are in game, it's always the POTC lobby, Fantasyland Courtyard, and trading rooms.

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen to what we have to say. I've been a part of the MyVMK community for over three years, and it would be a shame to lose anymore players that I've come to know. I know if these issues are addressed things will turn out for the better. :D

one of the first things I'd say is to establish some goals. We can't do everything in this thread all at once or fix it within a week. Public polling is an awesome tool. We can allow players to choose what we should focus on more and less of in a given time frame. Maybe we should have more hats compared to outfits, Perhaps we should focus on X compared to Y, etc. Create S.M.A.R.T. Goals so we don't make unreasonable goals as well as to ensure we don't overwork staff.

I am planning on sitting down and reading majority of this thread tonight when I have time, but I would really like to see more scheduled events, more in game quests, I would really love to see a different client role out for MyVMK where it's not just solely firefox (I have a lot of tech problems sometimes that keeps me off the game completely. I know you said you were working on it but maybe progress reports?) I would like to see the newsletter being updated at least weekly if not biweekly (If weekly is too much for y'all to release stuff I would much rather prefer biweekly) and lastly just more communication. I pay more attention to forums than twitter and if this game is solely twitter based in terms of announcements then that'll do me in to be honest. I don't say any of this to be rude, I just don't like twitter and don't feel I should have to download it for a game.

I understand you're going through staff changes and doing the best you can to run this game. I understand you have a life and this is really just out of the good of your own heart. I appreciate that, and thank you for that.

One more suggestion, how hard would it be to implement the hidden mickeys into the current client?

PoorFroning

- admin changes. im not saying the game needs new admins and that current ones need to be canned, but i see a lot of people commenting about wanting all sorts of different admin changes so i guess some changes need to be made regarding the position. i feel like the past few months have seen a step forward regarding the position.

- re-releasing some of the more rare/demanded items in small quantities. some people like the idea of ultras and others dont but i think every1 can agree upon some of the ultras prices are just insane and are making a substantial contribution to the nonexistent trade market (partly because there are too many credits in game). some different ways this could happen are crates, blind bags, world drops (such as easter backets/turkeys), hunts, dreams squad like events, high priced sales of certain ultras (once a month, a different ultra or two comes on sale for a bit for lets say 1/2 or 1/3 of its current said value. ex: black flip sold for 800k, minnie hat sold for 400k, something like that. thoughts?), making use of the hidden rooms, forums giveaways (like trivia but rewards an ultra instead of a trivia pin), potc chests, and/or sits.

- finishing up all the major og content and making og content month themes instead of month themes such as USA vs France (ex: splash mountain)

- game advertisement. the more people playing this game, the better it is. i find it interesting how so many people to this day are just finding out about myvmk. there are plenty of popular general mmo forums out there and they could serve as a basis for advertising a game. ive personally made attempts to draw players from a few of these sights but i feel like it would be much more effective coming from a more official advertisement. Certain staff members could be given official advertising assignments.

- Tink. idk what all the drama is but she is the best designer, not knockin on any other of the designers. the game is just better when her items are being put in. if its not possible getting her back for whatever reason (as most of the community has no clue of what happened and what is to come), some other designers need to be brought in as i know there are tons of free lance artists on this game who would consider designing. its no secret that there is a lack of artists rn. Tink left and all of the plans for this month went to...

- more competitions. having the palace competition this month is great and the game needs more of them as the last one was the holiday competition i believe? again, could do splash mountain month and have a ride competition there.

- ride-a-thons for popular building materials. who doesn't want more villains columns, floating candelabras, etc. in game?

Last edited:

Coolkitty317

One thing that I can think of is in the original game everybody was always hanging out at different parts of the map. Almost every single room was full and I realize there are not as many players but I think part of the magic of the game was being able to see the other rooms and get that sort of Disney feel. So maybe add in more quests or something to get people excited and wanting to visit different places and not just hanging out in the game lobby's and guest rooms.
theres no incentive to play anymore because majority of the time nothing is released and there's just nothing to do. having crates would be amazing because it would give people things to work towards again and everyone loves them besides a select few (who complain about anything that happens anyways)
I agree with what most everyone is saying about there needing to be more quests and things to do. I also would like to see some smaller things opened back up in full swing again. Like food being served in the Blue Bayou restaurant, instead of the waiter just standing there not doing anything. And the race tracks are not being used at the moment. I know those things are minor, but when I played the old VMK years ago, things like that made it fun just as much as the bigger things.

GuardGirl

Ace is the name, room recreation is the game.
I didn't even know Tink was ever back, or that she left again & doesn't even want to continue fan art because of the way she was treated. It's things like this that need to stop. That's the big change everyone needs. People want to be treated nicely. They deserve it at the very least.

And we miss snow & grizz. A lot.

Hi Amy,

I sent this to you as a message almost 6 months ago. I never heard back from you, maybe you will read it here. I've edited some of my personal information out, if you want to read them they are in your PM's.

My name is Soggydoughnuts, and I am new to myVMK, I am not however new to VMK. I played quite a bit back in the day and loved the community and positive atmosphere that VMK provided. I have been here for about three weeks now and I have jumped right into trying to become apart of the community. Offering design and game suggestions, also participating in game with the wonderful events.

It only took a few days before the events that took place in May were revealed to me. It is extremely evident that this community is still hurt by those events. I have read everyone's responses, I have seen the drama sites, and it is very evident that myVMK is not going to naturally heal itself.

The reason I am writing this to you is because I want myVMK to succeed more than anything. I want myVMK to be a thriving and successful community that many enjoy at all hours of the day. I am coming to you with some suggestions and offering my help.

Here are my suggestions:

1. "Hire" a community manager
The myVMK community needs someone that they can look towards, resinate with, and feel like they are friends with. This person is who they call upon with suggestions, complaints, and needs. This person is also the one that communicates upcoming changes to them.

Every large video game company has multiple community managers, because the community does not need to know the inner workings of the company. They should never be seeing staff logs, they should never be hearing about the planning of upcoming events, and most definitely never be hearing about the drama happening behind the scenes, unless it has been passed through the PR department or community manager.

2. Have the myVMK staff sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)

Information should not at any time be leaked to the public. Information about upcoming updates, news, and events should be properly planned and scheduled to be revealed to the the myVMK community at the most strategic time.

This also includes all staff messages, emails, and tasks can not be revealed to the public under penalty of law. An NDA is extremely easy to set up and have all of your staff sign. The myVMK community is damaged when staff drama is public, the incident in May is a perfect example of what can not be allowed to happen. It divides communities and ruins video games, companies, and organizations.

All major companies have issues within their employees, however how those issues are communicated first go through their PR department. There needs to be this person for myVMK so when issues arise, when a staff member is let go, it is communicated to the myVMK community in a positive way. Not one that causes rifts or divisions within the community.

3. A visible change
It is extremely evident to me that the community needs to see a visible change in myVMK staff infrastructure. Simply hiring this Community Manager could help leaps and bounds in communication with your community. It also helps you as the developer - You can focus on developing the game and playing in your off time and you can allow someone else to deal with the small drama issues, communicating real suggestions, and also passing on legitimate complaints.

These suggestions come from my experience as a community manager and moderator for a community called ForgeHub. I also work as a Youth Director for an organization in California. At this job I daily work on organizing, scheduling, and promoting events for students. I am interacting with people on a daily basis, and am the direct supervisor of four employees. Drama is real, it happens, but how you persevere through it is extremely important.

Thank you,
Soggydoughnuts​

MacPat

Contributor
MyVMK has been running for almost three years now, and in that time there have been a lot of problems. A lot of the players seem to want some kind of big change, feel like something is missing from the game, so I'm here to ask, what do YOU personally want? What are your problems with the game and how do you think they can be fixed? Be completely honest, just don't attack anyone because that's not necessary..

Note to mods: please check with me before moderating this post, thank you.

EDIT: If you don't want to post publicly, send me a PM on the forums.
  • Discontinue the Shockwave client in favor of the WebGL client
  • Hire developers that have experience with Web programming
  • Hire artists that have experience in the creation of 2D and 3D game assets
  • Create a better website and make a better forums' template
  • Redesign and recreate ALL game assets and create new game assets that are correctly shaded
  • Develop the WebGL client enough to surpass the features of the Shockwave client
  • Introduce new 2D and 3D minigames and redesign the current minigames
  • Remove any game items that aren't correctly shaded and replace them with the better shaded versions
  • Remove any game items that wouldn't have been added to the original game
  • Run an official Discord server

Last edited:
I agree completely to RECODE THE DANG GAME! Shockwave is the most stone age software I have on my windows 10 and it barely cooperates with it.... It freezes nonstop, lags all the time, and barely opens as it is. Please recode this game to something more recent!
I would vote for HTML5 if at all possible, since that's the direction that everything is headed in. At some point, external plugin support will disappear from all major browsers, so Flash, Shockwave, Java, and the like, which all have various strengths, weaknesses, and even vulnerabilities, will become relics of the Internet of yore. HTML5 would be native and fully supported by every major browser on every platform. Of course that would require a complete re-write of the entire game, which may very likely require a complete reset, but as some have pointed out, that may not necessarily be a bad thing either. A re-write and reset could be a perfect opportunity to regroup and get everyone on the same page.

As far as declining player activity and overall morale goes, from what I've seen in this thread so far, a lot of it has to do with very little actually happening in the game. New items are okay, but they can't replace the magic of well planned events bringing the community together. This certainly isn't the only issue, and there are a lot of very good ideas already presented in this thread.

I have one idea that I haven't yet seen, but it could easily prove to be very unpopular. The original VMK had regular operating hours just like a legitimate theme park. If memory serves, those hours were from 7:00am to 11:00pm PST. Having regular nightly closures meant that they didn't have to have staff on 24/7, and as an added bonus, they could perform server maintenance after hours, which likely helped keep the game running at least a bit more smoothly. That after hour maintenance was also used to roll out new features, which in MyVMK currently requires a restart while players might currently be online. Knowing that new features can be rolled out after hours could allow you to focus on other tasks during the day, which could help with time management (and as a busy individual myself, believe me when I say that I would love to have about 4 extra hours in a day and 2 extra days in a week!).

This game is testament to your very hard work, determination, and dedication, Amy. I played VMK from February 2006 right up until the last "Thank you for playing" message was broadcast at closing on its final day. Reliving so many great memories on MyVMK has been absolutely amazing and would never have been possible without you. So many players here have never had a chance to really interact with you, but to all of us, you have been a very good friend. I truly hope that you can find the tools you need within this thread to rebuild MyVMK and this community. There are no small roles, and every player even is part of a greater whole. Let's make something magical together, shall we?

Last edited:
I have one idea that I haven't yet seen, but it could easily prove to be very unpopular. The original VMK had regular operating hours just like a legitimate theme park. If memory serves, those hours were from 7:00am to 11:00pm PST. Having regular nightly closures meant that they didn't have to have staff on 24/7, and as an added bonus, they could perform server maintenance after hours, which likely helped keep the game running at least a bit more smoothly. That after hour maintenance was also used to roll out new features, which in MyVMK currently requires a restart while players might currently be online. Knowing that new features can be rolled out after hours could allow you to focus on other tasks during the day, which could help with time management (and as a busy individual myself, believe me when I say that I would love to have about 4 extra hours in a day and 2 extra days in a week!).
I think that this is actually a great idea.
I will never forget waking up in the morning around Halloween time and running in on Mondays (I think it was) to see and buy all the new items.

Hours does all the things you said and also creates a draw, and forces the population to play together.

I work full time and can only play late night or early evenings most days. Wouldn't mind it closing for a couple hours but would hate to see it go back to being open very limited hours. Btw, I totally miss Sarg's red eye events with rock music, they were so unique and fun!

Honestly, what I think we want more than anything is to be listened to. A few months back, you asked us what kind of items we wanted to see in game and out of a ton of great ideas, we got about three new items. There was also the post asking what the future of zombie magic should be, and despite an overwhelming response, nothing has been changed about it. Asking us what we want is only one part of the solution. We can tell you what we want until we are blue in the face, but if what we say isn't taken into account, if there is no follow through on your part, we have no reason to believe anything is ever going to get better. The only way things can improve is if you look to see the general issues everyone is addressing here, and find a way to solve them. Otherwise, we will be stuck in this same vicious cycle forever.

~dc~

Any chance that could make the South Fireworks Remix Lobby so that when I would click play it would just enter me into the game? So i wouldn't have to wait 30secs each time? Basically wait 30 secs to play with myself all the time, what joy, lol.

For the Pirates game it would be nice for those that lose all the time to have a chance at keys as well. Ill play on clones and notice im kicked from teams, basically people want to play together and crush nobody's over and over, what fun, lol. Right now i think its 4 wins for a bronze key, 9wins silver, 14wins gold? would be nice if it was 6 losses would get your a bronze key, 11 losses silver, 16 losses gold. Give those that can never win, also might reduce friendly and make more people to play in pirates, then to just stand around for a while. idk

Even for double credits the game seem's to be dead. Most with millions don't play, mostly just sell items etc. Double credits should be divided up into 4 day's with 1 different game per day, to force more into each game, then waiting around for hours to get someone to play with. Maybe try 2.5x pay for that way. Can stand around for a long time in HM for people to play. Yet i still see some that play them selves? Thought that was against the rules? I seen friendly pirates as well like this. They say well its my brother or partner etc. Well then my brother or sister will be playing to. Can't allow it for a few households and not the rest. Doesn't Me, Myself and I, count as 3 people? So we can all play in the same game, lol.

I know this is a huge jump and most likely wont happen, yet clones should be gone. No household should need more then 2 accounts period. Maybe 3 tops. Tough to control for sure but very possible. Like there should be no credit transfer between same household accounts. Again tough to track but possible. Sure this will most likely not happen. That most the lag and slow down delay is caused by people running more then a few accounts at once. Reason is there computers can't handle 2 accounts, skype, utube, and whatever there doing. Most don't even understand that. More so if your in pirates game, anyone can cause lag for everyone, just by putting a strain on there own pc. Most store bought laptops/desktops aren't for gaming. Unless you spend over a grand. Then good chance your getting a dedicated graphics card etc. Would think this game doesnt need much but it eats ram faster then i can add more lol.

Should of mention this at the top near pirates, but was wondering why there isnt 1 on 1 pirates. Probably cause Amy is having a tough time coding the movement for the AI. However for friendly it would be nice even so if the AI just sat there, as long as there was a real player on each side. Could even make a sub game from it. Where you protect your Friendly ship that just sits there. Make it be the Dutch ship for the ai ship that just sits there but can be sunk, but real human players have to protect etc. Any lame idea i know, but still it be nice to play a friend 1 on 1 and when you enter the match there be an ai player on each side that just sits there. But at least could do 1 on 1.

For dreams month not sure why so many liked this? Sit and a room and talk while half the room is AFK? I'd rather be standing in a room of friends and crates/keys/baskets appear that we all can pick up. At least there wouldn't be AFK people. Do a dreams month with falling stars, so if your in a room with 5 friends, 5 fallen stars will appear with items. Make it simple just make maybe 1 very rare, 1 rare 1 uncommon and 1 common with small credit amounts as well. Run it for a month and alter each week to a different area of the game. So each week it never be in the same area.

Host events to me are boring, but thats just me. Doesn't matter if there was inferno as a prize i still most likely wouldn't do it. As it is lots are very greedy and will run more then 2 accounts at once. Most will say thats not possible, but it is. This just shows greed, since there is only a hour usually for people to get in and try to win. Maze events however are fun since no wait and its more based on luck. Usually go in and out fast. Since the maze's now seem to be random prizes and teleports change it seems. Should be possible to run a maze of like 5 rooms for a week straight. Gives players more things to do but a few items. maze's also give noobs a chance to get something good. A ride a thon would be nice if prizes at the exit room were random. So u ride around through 3-4 rooms and at the end its random in what u get. like a 1 in 100 shot at a uncommon, 1 in 1000 for a rare, and 1 in 10,000 for a very rare. be something you could also run for a week/month time. Really for maze and ride a thon u could run random prizes like that for a month and change them out once a week, using evne old items that people want for sale again.

So many simple events you could add that would keep people so busy that they would have to decide what they want to do today, ride for sits, take chances at the maze or ride a thon. then throw in a quest as well. Since Hidden Mickeys hasnt appear must be issues with the coding. So why not take the icon image and make it appear where you can walk on it. Run it randomly each week to appear in say 10 random rooms etc. through all public rooms. Could reset it every 24 hours so people can try again the next day and do random prize effect on those as well. Give a reason for people to log in every day. i'd also add in a random point bonus that appears from a random NPC. like a 1 in 1000 chance instead of 25 credits you would get 250 credits. Or whatever. However clones are a concern here. So making it so that no more then 2 accounts per household cant collect npcs every 24 hours would need to be done.

I know i wrote to much and i could keep writing for more ideas, there really is no end to ideas that you could add to draw people in. Take care, Dc

PS, add this in here. I know user shops are a long shop Amy, but maybe take the friend's room list and change it to Trader Room list. For a few each month a user could give credits to staff of 5k credits a month for there trade room to be listed there. The list of who is first etc of course would be by who is online at the time and how many in the room, but if no one is any trade room then last active etc would appear or most active trade rooms first etc. I wouldn't mind spending 5k for my room to be listed there. Might make things easier to track down. Contact that person on the forums if needed etc or where ever. Probably be much easier to do this then the User shops for the time being. However things would need to be in order, as a staff member would need to look at the room and make sure its a legit sales room etc. Not just a room trying to win best guest, etc.

Also be nice if staff made a sticky room called Auction House, that was on top of public room list where any one could use etc. Or be placed in the Trader list on top.

Last edited:
If controllable and still pertinent, a faster login load time and the game freeze glitch after logging on fixed. I know when I used to want to play that a slow login time, not being to log in at all, or the game freezing after trying to login left me not to even bother.

Also, a new fresh look for the forums and homepage would be nice. Maintain a creative, professional, and preferably energetic staff team. Keep ideas clean and fresh with new high quality events, items, and newsletters.

Just simple suggestions, which may or may not have been already addressed :)

~dc~

If controllable and still pertinent, a faster login load time and the game freeze glitch after logging on fixed. I know when I used to want to play that a slow login time, not being to log in at all, or the game freezing after trying to login left me not to even bother.
This is an issue even for me, however could be that we both have older laptops. Since i have friends that when i can't get on or it takes 5-10mins to login, they login within a minute. But there also running a $1000+ laptop. However VMK ran on 10 year old desktops fine, so why is there issues now with much faster computers? I also run into loading to the 2nd load bar screen and instantly crashes over and over. only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Which gets annoying.

Cat

Fully develop Pirates to be completely functional. Gold cannons, exploding ships, competitive levels, keys.

I believe that a few things have lead to MyVMK's early crash in popularity. Including the premature and rushed release of rares through crates. The crate sytstem should have been refined and tested more before there were rares released through them, and all at once. It created a massive rush at the very beginning, and keys weren't even rewarded on a skill basis, they were random. Which was another bloop.
Another was the weekly releases. Back in VMK there were only sometimes limited releases... for the most part, all the month's themed items were released at the start of the month so that players could save up and collect and buy those items through the both. They could build rooms with all the new items, instead of having to wait through 4 weeks to get all the themed items to finally build their rooms. When MyVMK quickly began running out of stuff to release weekly, other items that (in my opinion) aren't up to par with the quality of the rest of the pre-existing items in the game were added. Pins, hats, furniture items, clothes, etc, that didn't match the other stuff in the game. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but for the most part the weekly releases have slowly been on a downward slope as they've becomed more forced. Weekly releases in general have put a lot of strain on both the staff to come up with them, and for the players to make sure they get these items that they've probably never use.

The latter of both of my suggestions can't really be fixed now though. You live and learn. Can we have a redo? (jk)
But yeah, fix POTC. Make the game run faster (too many items, too much time to load, too much hassle). I'd also, like many players, would be able to play more if we could play on macs. Logging onto my old desktop computer from 2000 to play vmk isn't exactly the most convenient thing.

ALSO, DREAMS MONTH REBOOT 2017