You're Not Sick Enough

LadyMagic

Haha, so I'm writing up some articles to submit to ThoughtCatalog, so needless to say, they're rather deep and heartfelt. So, as a warning.... this is about eating disorder issues. Please do not continue if this will trigger you in any way. <3

This is quite personal, and since I don't know you guys in real life I thought this would be a good way to get out my anxiety over having other people read it.

Constructive criticism is completely welcome. :)

~~~~

"You're Not Sick Enough"

I was never skeletal thin, hospitalized, or told I “needed to eat”. I felt like nobody noticed the way the weight just dropped off of me so quickly in high school, and that honestly motivated me even more. I had this somewhat twisted, subconscious desire to make people realize that I was hurting—I was sick. I just wanted somebody to care, really. The entire time I struggled, I never would have identified myself as having a real eating disorder. I obviously had obsessive tendencies about food and exercise, but nothing more than that. I was just barely underweight, I still ate, and all seemed to be well—forget the fact that I had a malfunctioning reproductive system and spent math class trying painfully hard to accurately calculate the calories I had consumed. I didn't appear sick to anybody, so I was fine.

I didn't realize that it is not at all necessary to meet a list of “requirements” to have an eating disorder. People don’t have to think you have an eating disorder in order for you to really have one. They don’t know you and they don’t know your story. They don’t know the times you exercised like a madman despite running a high fever, or when you cried after eating two cashews more than you had intended. Nobody but you knows your thoughts or the things that cripple you with anxiety and fear. Every time I opened up to someone about the weight obsession that plagued me, I nearly knew they were thinking that I wasn’t sick enough. I was too busy thinking about how I appeared on the outside that I neglected my internal health. I was sick, and I knew it. Not only my body, but my brain was sick. My thoughts were no longer my own but belonged to a deep rooted desire to be as skinny as my body could possibly withstand. That desire emerged without me realizing, and merely getting in shape for summer became something that I lived for. My life became my attempt to get thin, thinner, even thinner than that, and then as thin as I could be while still living.

I’m thirty pounds heavier than I was when this thing developed, and I just began going to therapy to help me with these issues a week ago. I definitely don’t appear sick now, and I’m sure not many people would believe that I truly have an eating disorder. I eat more than I used to, but my thoughts about food, exercise, and my body are still so disordered that I’m willing to own my story and admit that something is still wrong. I know I would be so much more restrictive if I could possibly stand it, but for some frustrating reason I can’t. I obsessively exercise to compensate, and that’s not normal. I spend hours looking at old pictures wishing more than anything I could look like that again. That’s not normal, either. My days revolve around resisting food and feeling so, so ashamed and distressed when I realize I can’t anymore. I look fine, much better than fine, really--in terms of health, not aesthetics. But I’m owning my story, and I’m so proud of myself for getting the help I need despite how scared I was that nobody would believe me.

It's not anyone else's role to tell you if you're sick or not. That's up to you. Don't let anyone else downplay the struggles you're going through, because they'll never actually know how much you're hurting.

Last edited:
Your vulnerability is beautiful. I really like your writing style as well. This is a short piece, but its depth made it plenty long enough to tell your story while conveying all of its emotion. I love it. Also congratulations on beginning your journey out of this and for being honest with yourself and those around you. Sending love and thoughts your way :halcyon:

LadyMagic

Your vulnerability is beautiful. I really like your writing style as well. This is a short piece, but its depth made it plenty long enough to tell your story while conveying all of its emotion. I love it. Also congratulations on beginning your journey out of this and for being honest with yourself and those around you. Sending love and thoughts your way :halcyon:
Thank you so much, that is so sweet of you to say! <3

†_Beast_†

l'antico vampiro
I get the sense that a lot of people walking through life struggle with these types of idealisms to reflect a desire in portraying a certain type of refinement towards self-acceptance and often times wishing something was different etc. and focusing on the past – all comes based on personal, deeply rooted thoughts and/or society’s expectations due to subconscious feelings about what society really thinks, more-over than what that being as an individual thinks. For most, being that quintessential happy and healthy as defined by self, equates to a certain frame of mind. It also reminds me of a quote that said – “perception shapes priorities, priorities shape people.” If you are desire to make your perception something positive, then life will yield positive results in return. Often times, it seems that human beings become too concerned with how their peers might view them in society, leading to unhealthy habits for the mental, physical and spiritual self. The fact is – only you are responsible for yourself, including actions and letting those acts always speak louder than mere words. Being the the captain of your destiny, not “John or Jane Doe” – so I say unto anyone, why give a _____ what anyone else thinks. It takes guts to write about personal struggles or afflictions because of a person’s natural fears when facing certain questions or taking a stand. It is also a positive thing though, because it is difficult for many to keep things inside which only increases that negative buildup that accumulates over a period of time.

Continuing to talk to family, friends, and professionals in their fields about these things can become very indispensable – all of which is very common with human beings. As life wanes on, never be afraid to speak your mind or about personal demons/struggles as this writing has started to depict. As a society, human beings want to ignore and silence the difficult issues. Don’t let them, become a voice for yourself and helping others whom have not found their voice yet – those who will look to you in the future. As negative as the World Wide Web has become in a retrospective type of way since its inception, it can also be positive in giving proper voice to those whom are lost and struggle with the same issues. In the end, you must do what makes you strong inside and out and it is often not what a person desires to hear but yet, what they should hear. As it’s said - “There are only two people who can tell you the truth about yourself - an enemy who has lost his/her temper and a friend who loves you dearly.” Often times people are too afraid to speak the truth yet those whom are willing, can find themselves eternally reverent.