The Gif Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of GIFs, we should implement WebM!

Whispered

If you are going to have a seizure from a gif, you're going to have a seizure from playing myvmk..... lol
They said that the rule makes someone's experience more enjoyable. Thus, since having to repeatedly click spoilers causes nerve pain in my hands, and could eventually lead to carpal tunnel, we should eliminate it!

Furthermore, making some staffing changes would make my experience much more enjoyable. So let's make that happen!

GIFs are really just spammy by nature... if you cannot get a point across without a GIF then maybe you should reconsider posting. If you want to add to your post with a GIF, just put it in a spoiler so people can choose whether they want to see them or not. It's really not that much effort to click a spoiler tag, and we want to accommodate as many people as possible here (and yes, we were contacted by people with real medical conditions who were concerned about excessive GIFs in posts).

Thank you for respecting our decision.

Whispered

GIFs are really just spammy by nature... if you cannot get a point across without a GIF then maybe you should reconsider posting. If you want to add to your post with a GIF, just put it in a spoiler so people can choose whether they want to see them or not. It's really not that much effort to click a spoiler tag, and we want to accommodate as many people as possible here (and yes, we were contacted by people with real medical conditions who were concerned about excessive GIFs in posts).

Thank you for respecting our decision.
I don't mean to be disrespectful to persons with seizure disorders, but I don't feel like when so many people are against this rule out should trump all other wishes.

Persons with seizure disorders can't expect the entire internet to change for them, and the ones I've met know this and either block all gifs, don't play games, etc. They don't expect other people to change their ways for them.

I'm sure there is a mod for vB to disable gifs on a per person basis. If not, every major browser either includes the option or has a mod to include the option. These are much healthier and safer options if a person is actually concerned about their seizure disorder being triggered.

I still question how many people on these forums would be triggered by slow, non strobing gifs who should be on the game/forums at all. I respect that people may be triggered, but I question whether, if staff were truly concerned about their health, they would be allowed to participate in the forums or game after staff know about this issue.

But gifs are allowed in signatures or?
As stated a few posts back, gifs are allowed in signatures because the user has the option to opt out of seeing them. This can be done by doing the following: User CP> Settings and Options > Edit Options> uncheck show signatures.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
But gifs are allowed in signatures or?
As stated a few posts back, gifs are allowed in signatures because the user has the option to opt out of seeing them. This can be done by doing the following: User CP> Settings and Options > Edit Options> uncheck show signatures.
Although I don't agree with the spoiler rule, I do understand what you're saying. GIFs are still allowed because even when used in a post, you can choose not to see them because they are in a spoiler. I understand and can respect that. Thank you for responding, Curlee. :halcyon:

Megara

no sleep club
I know what I feel probably won't matter, but I think we should just be respectful of the gif rule that's implemented at the moment. It isn't that hard to click to show a spoiler of a gif that probably won't do much for a serious conversation anyway. Besides the fact that gifs can really be overdone sometimes - no harm in putting them in a spoiler if it could possibly help another person. And it's incredibly helpful that people actually have the option/ability to turn signatures off for those who need it. At least gifs aren't totally banned.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I know what I feel probably won't matter, but I think we should just be respectful of the gif rule that's implemented at the moment. It isn't that hard to click to show a spoiler of a gif that probably won't do much for a serious conversation anyway. Besides the fact that gifs can really be overdone sometimes - no harm in putting them in a spoiler if it could possibly help another person. And it's incredibly helpful that people actually have the option/ability to turn signatures off for those who need it. At least gifs aren't totally banned.
Exactly. I feel spoilers are a happy midway meeting point and if it helps 1 person and makes their forum experience more enjoyable, why not keep it? It was difficult to get used to at first but now that I've gotten the hang of it I don't see how it's inconvenient to use spoilers anymore.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to persons with seizure disorders, but I don't feel like when so many people are against this rule out should trump all other wishes.

Persons with seizure disorders can't expect the entire internet to change for them, and the ones I've met know this and either block all gifs, don't play games, etc. They don't expect other people to change their ways for them.
How is that not disrespectful to people prone to seizures? I'm not epileptic, but I've had seizures in the past and yeah, I'm weary of flashy gifs bc I'm not totally sure what triggered them. So according to you, I should just stay away from all gifs or the internet in general, just so I don't inconvenience your desire to post some flashy image? And while we're at it, I guess we should stop making handicap ramps instead of stairs; people in wheelchairs should just know better and stay on ground level, right?

If you are going to have a seizure from a gif, you're going to have a seizure from playing myvmk..... lol
Do you have photosensitive epilepsy or are you just making an assumption? Because not all video games cause seizures and not all gifs cause seizures. Just because someone may be sensitive to flashing lights doesn't mean they should have to stay away from all technology.

Other sites enforce this same rule, or ask you to tag certain gifs with an epilepsy warning. Stop being selfish and grow up, all of you.

Last edited:

WHO

Do you have photosensitive epilepsy or are you just making an assumption? Because not all video games cause seizures and not all gifs cause seizures. Just because someone may be sensitive to flashing lights doesn't mean they should have to stay away from all technology.

Other sites enforce this same rule, or ask you to tag certain gifs with an epilepsy warning. Stop being selfish and grow up, all of you.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Normal moving gifs would not give you any more of a seizure than the animals popping up in the jungle cruise or fireworks in the fireworks game. I already said flashing light gifs should not be allowed. But if you're going to have a seizure to a gif that's nothing more than you see on tv, odds are you'll have a seizure playing jungle cruise on myvmk, etc.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Normal moving gifs would not give you any more of a seizure than the animals popping up in the jungle cruise or fireworks in the fireworks game. I already said flashing light gifs should not be allowed. But if you're going to have a seizure to a gif that's nothing more than you see on tv, odds are you'll have a seizure playing jungle cruise on myvmk, etc.
Yeah, that's what I said, "not all video games cause seizures and not all gifs cause seizures." My point is that just because some games do cause seizures, it doesn't mean that people prone to seizures wont or shouldn't play myvmk - as you implied they shouldn't. Similarly, just because some gifs don't cause seizures, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't take measures to protect people from those that do.

WHO

Yeah, that's what I said, "not all video games cause seizures and not all gifs cause seizures." My point is that just because some games do cause seizures, it doesn't mean that people prone to seizures wont or shouldn't play myvmk - as you implied they shouldn't. Similarly, just because some gifs don't cause seizures, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't take measures to protect people from those that do.

I think you're missing the point.

I understand your point: 'If we don't allow flashing light gifs, then all other gifs can be free of the spoiler rule because they wont cause seizures anymore than the game would.' In theory that makes sense. But more than just flashing light gifs cause seizures; for example oscillating gifs and gifs with moving patterns can also cause seizures. The average person may have a difficult time knowing which ones are safe to post and which are not. Further more, how would we restrict users from posting a gif that violates the rule? Are we going to ask everyone to run their gif through some analytic tool to evaluate it's potential risk? It seems easier to just ask that all gifs are placed in a spoiler, regardless.

WHO

I understand your point: 'If we don't allow flashing light gifs, then all other gifs can be free of the spoiler rule because they wont cause seizures anymore than the game would.' In theory that makes sense. But more than just flashing light gifs cause seizures; for example oscillating gifs and gifs with moving patterns can also cause seizures. The average person may have a difficult time knowing which ones are safe to post and which are not. Further more, how would we restrict users from posting a gif that violates the rule? Are we going to ask everyone to run their gif through some analytic tool to evaluate it's potential risk? It seems easier to just ask that all gifs are placed in a spoiler, regardless.

Then shouldn't the game have a seizure warning or something too? There are ALL kinds of movements and flashing lights and magics in there that could cause seizures. No?

For example, if this gif is going to give you a seizure, then the game would easily give you one.

We can't time magics in game or animation in rooms. They all have different timings and movements. Odds are if you can't handle a gif moving at normal speed, not flashing, etc, you cannot handle getting on a game where there are hundreds and thousands of movements and animations.

Then shouldn't the game have a seizure warning or something too? There are ALL kinds of movements and flashing lights and magics in there that could cause seizures. No?

For example, if this gif is going to give you a seizure, then the game would easily give you one.

We can't time magics in game or animation in rooms. They all have different timings and movements. Odds are if you can't handle a gif moving at normal speed, not flashing, etc, you cannot handle getting on a game where there are hundreds and thousands of movements and animations.

The lipgloss isn't going to cause a seizure.
That doesn't mean that someone won't post something like this gif, which could cause one:
Will MyVMK cause seizures? I don't know, to be honest. But why should we just assume that everyone who visits this site can't possibly be prone to seizures?

WHO

The lipgloss isn't going to cause a seizure.
That doesn't mean that someone won't post something like this gif, which could cause one:
Will MyVMK cause seizures? I don't know, to be honest. But why should we just assume that everyone who visits this site can't possibly be prone to seizures?

Hence why I said there should be a rule against gifs like those in the original post...

Status
Not open for further replies.