Hollywood Studios Removing Sorcerer Mickey Hat

Fiyero

They can't keep everything at the parks all the time. Things would get so bland and tasteless, especially for those that come all the time. Certain things, like the Cinderella castle, will never be able to be removed. Many of you associate the hat with Disney because you grew up with it and went there with it and that's likely while you're upset. However, a lot of the people who started with the Earful Tower, felt the same way when the hat replaced it as the icon.

If they do use the Earful tower as the icon again, which I'm betting they will, they should move it outside, by the entrance. I think it would look good there, welcoming everyone to the park.

Myth

They can't keep everything at the parks all the time. Things would get so bland and tasteless, especially for those that come all the time. Certain things, like the Cinderella castle, will never be able to be removed. Many of you associate the hat with Disney because you grew up with it and went there with it and that's likely while you're upset. However, a lot of the people who started with the Earful Tower, felt the same way when the hat replaced it as the icon.

If they do use the Earful tower as the icon again, which I'm betting they will, they should move it outside, by the entrance. I think it would look good there, welcoming everyone to the park.
The new brochure for the parks actually put TOT as the icon for the new park maps:
http://attractionsmagazine.com/new-disney-brochure-foretell-removal-hollywood-studios-sorcerer-hat/

Bindingkey

@Megara

I see it, I have the map but they're just general images for park maps they don't really have the final say on what the icons are. That maps is also a very old one.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
So sad + hard to watch. It was one of my favorite parts of the park and I grew up with it. To me, removing it devalues the park because of the memories I had when it was there.
This is exactly how I feel. Like the park won't have that special value it had. Hollywood Studios' logo was always The Sorcerer Hat. I also felt the sorcerer hat gave it the Disney 'feel' the other parks have. MK with Cinderella Castle, Epcot with Spaceship Earth and Animal Kingdom with the Tree of Life. ToT wasn't even originally by Disney I believe, so I can't understand why that would become the new icon instead of the Earful Tower. Now it's just plain 'Hollywood Studios', because the main Disney icon everyone knew/was familiar with is gone and is replaced with ToT.

Last edited:

Thorn

Make it Green
Replace it with a large, clean sheet of glass that people can continually walk into.

Replace it with a pit of snakes that you can swim in.

Idk just trying to throw ideas out there.

I'm glad they decided to take down the hat personally. It was literally just a big eye-sore with a sad little shop inside/under it. I never thought it was placed in a strategic way. It blocked the Great Movie Ride which was supposed to be the big icon, The Hollywood Theater, which makes sense seeing as how it's Hollywood studios. Don't get me wrong I feel awkward now because it has no real icon as it stands now, but I think it'll look nicer without it. Hopefully they update things to be more appealing to those who frequent the parks. I have an annual pass and would like to see the horrid amount of construction they've taken on finish before they start to attempt a new icon for HS.

This is exactly how I feel. Like the park won't have that special value it had. Hollywood Studios' logo was always The Sorcerer Hat. I also felt the sorcerer hat gave it the Disney 'feel' the other parks have. MK with Cinderella Castle, Epcot with Spaceship Earth and Animal Kingdom with the Tree of Life. ToT wasn't even originally by Disney I believe, so I can't understand why that would become the new icon instead of the Earful Tower. Now it's just plain 'Hollywood Studios', because the main Disney icon everyone knew/was familiar with is gone and is replaced with ToT.
Tower of Terror isn't 100% disney for the simple fact that its a Twilight Zone theme and that show wasn't originated from Disney if i remember correctly.

Bindingkey

So sad + hard to watch. It was one of my favorite parts of the park and I grew up with it. To me, removing it devalues the park because of the memories I had when it was there.
This is the most melodramatic thing I have ever read, and I read fanfiction regularly. Nothing's changed, same as nothing changed after the hat was built. It was an eyesore that obscured the view of a ride barely anyone even remembers exists (debatably because of the hat) and all it had was a store and it occasionally hosted street shows. I felt it was nice to look at sometimes but ultimately it had no place in a park about classic Hollywood and movie-based attractions. I can understand why it would be hard for some people, though, because I'd just be an idiot if I didn't think there are people younger than me that grew up with the hat there. But "devaluing" the park? As if it had any more value with it there amidst the 5 attractions it always had (and no more than that, but the number decreasing with the backlot tour being snubbed). It's always been the kind of park it still is, the hat didn't add or take away anything.

mgm was always the most boring of the parks to me. now that the ears are gone i don't feel like theres really anything special
the ears didn't add anything special. they were added for the 100 Years of Magic celebration back in 2001 and Disney just decided to keep it since MGM never really had a solid icon other than the Chinese Theater (which some people think may have had copyright issues so they couldn't use the image in promotions anymore) and the Earful Tower. and it had a million other assumed placements in the parks that ultimately just ended in the middle and being reduced to a shopping kiosk. it was intended for a short lived celebration (like the mouse hands on Epcot for the very same celebration) and went longer than it was supposed to.

Replace it with a large, clean sheet of glass that people can continually walk into.

Replace it with a pit of snakes that you can swim in.

Idk just trying to throw ideas out there.
an elaborately themed pavilion/walkway is good enough???

y'all are being so dramatic. MGM survived before the hat and it'll survive after it. this has always been a temporary thing.

VampireBoy

This is the most melodramatic thing I have ever read, and I read fanfiction regularly. Nothing's changed, same as nothing changed after the hat was built. It was an eyesore that obscured the view of a ride barely anyone even remembers exists (debatably because of the hat) and all it had was a store and it occasionally hosted street shows. I felt it was nice to look at sometimes but ultimately it had no place in a park about classic Hollywood and movie-based attractions. I can understand why it would be hard for some people, though, because I'd just be an idiot if I didn't think there are people younger than me that grew up with the hat there. But "devaluing" the park? As if it had any more value with it there amidst the 5 attractions it always had (and no more than that, but the number decreasing with the backlot tour being snubbed). It's always been the kind of park it still is, the hat didn't add or take away anything.

the ears didn't add anything special. they were added for the 100 Years of Magic celebration back in 2001 and Disney just decided to keep it since MGM never really had a solid icon other than the Chinese Theater (which some people think may have had copyright issues so they couldn't use the image in promotions anymore) and the Earful Tower. and it had a million other assumed placements in the parks that ultimately just ended in the middle and being reduced to a shopping kiosk. it was intended for a short lived celebration (like the mouse hands on Epcot for the very same celebration) and went longer than it was supposed to.

an elaborately themed pavilion/walkway is good enough???

y'all are being so dramatic. MGM survived before the hat and it'll survive after it. this has always been a temporary thing.
Well to add on with what your saying honestly I am going to miss seeing the hat but I do agree removing it is going to do nothing to the park it will still remain pretty much the same which in some ways is not a good thing. According to what I have been reading lately they said that Disney Hollywood Studios is one of the least visited of the 4 Disney World parks because the park is small and it doesn't really have much going for it other than things like Tower Of Terror or Rockin Rollercoaster. Honestly removing the hat isn't going to do much accept maybe tick some people off but the real problem that needs to be fixed is finding a way to make this particular park more popular and trust me it want be easy because most people would rather go to the other 3 parks than they would this park according to what I have been reading lately.

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
Well to add on with what your saying honestly I am going to miss seeing the hat but I do agree removing it is going to do nothing to the park it will still remain pretty much the same which in some ways is not a good thing. According to what I have been reading lately they said that Disney Hollywood Studios is one of the least visited of the 4 Disney World parks because the park is small and it doesn't really have much going for it other than things like Tower Of Terror or Rockin Rollercoaster. Honestly removing the hat isn't going to do much accept maybe tick some people off but the real problem that needs to be fixed is finding a way to make this particular park more popular and trust me it want be easy because most people would rather go to the other 3 parks than they would this park according to what I have been reading lately.
I agree, I knew HS wasn't a popular park. The only attractions it has that lures people to the park is ToT, Toy Story Mania and Rockin' Rollercoaster. And really, whenever I went to Disney World I only went to HS for those three, and maybe characters that aren't available in the other parks. Hollywood Studios is kind of drab and tedious. They have promotion shows for whatever popular film they release. I was last there the year Monsters University came out and they had the girl group performing. Now this past year they had a Frozen festival/show. But I think the main thing that ticked people off was when they closed the Backlot Tour. The Backlot tour, being a Hollywood themed park was a great thing the park had. And closing it I feel it takes away from it. I'm lucky I got to see it, but it was still wrong of them to close it. They need to bring more life to the park, it doesn't have that special grab the other parks have that makes people want to go. Maybe if they brought more attractions from DLR to WDW, such as Cars Land. and maybe if they made it less realistic 'Hollywood' and implemented more of 'Disney' in to it, being a Disney Park it would do better.

VampireBoy

This is all that is left of the hat now it honestly looks very sad right now and I guess now is the time for everyone to say their final goodbyes to the hat but still removing the hat isn't going to help make this park popular they need to try to do something else to make the park more popular like maybe adding an Indian Jones Coaster to replace the show.