So what happened today on VMK?

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
Look saying it was a joke but not letting the players know in game was the biggest mistake. Then to tell players after this banter that any unnecessary CFH will get your banned for 24 hours. Players were left saying did mind go in after or before this message. People were worried about being banned. That is not funny to players. Why did you not say at the end . Hey players were were just letting off some steam and joking with you for a bit. Have a magical day.? No you left it. I wanted to post the question, but did not want to create waves. So cowardly I wait for another player to ask.

Number one complaint is communication. Still is and you are not understanding this. Why should we have to ask why? Be proactive and tell us instead of waiting for some player to bring it up. If you could only be proactive instead of reactive most of the negatives in this game would go away. Guess what it is free. Takes hardly any effort to do. So please please start consistent communication. You will feel more appreciated and loved.

Look at VMK_Bambi got lots of love no negatives and so much more respect when she posted.

Edit. The term YOU is for staff in whoever was doing this during the event.

Last edited:
Look saying it was a joke but not letting the players know in game was the biggest mistake. Then to tell players after this banter that any unnecessary CFH will get your banned for 24 hours. Players were left saying did mind go in after or before this message. People were worried about being banned. That is not funny to players. Why did you not say at the end . Hey players were were just letting off some steam and joking with you for a bit. Have a magical day.? No you left it. I wanted to post the question, but did not want to create waves. So cowardly I wait for another player to ask.

Number one complaint is communication. Still is and you are not understanding this. Why should we have to ask why? Be proactive and tell us instead of waiting for some player to bring it up. If you could only be proactive instead of reactive most of the negatives in this game would go away. Guess what it is free. Takes hardly any effort to do. So please please start consistent communication. You will feel more appreciated and loved.

Look at VMK_Bambi got lots of love no negatives and so much more respect when she posted.
I was not the one who sent any of that, just to clarify. No one should be worried about getting banned, I agree with that.

I found it rather funny after the fact, esp the post from Amy that said staff told her if she didn't stop they were going to kick her donkey LOL. yes the first post was confusing about sending in lots of CFHs, at first I figured it was from a staff who was getting cranky from the dozens CFHs after the crash about the crash. So that was a bit offputting. Then the ignore that popup, don't ignore it, ignore it or you'll be 24hr banned..it wasn't until Amy signed one of the popups that it was a joke that I realized ok they are just having a laugh, staff is not ready to implode again. Maybe that worry is what has some upset, we've been thu so many staff shuffles we're all just hoping for some peaceful playing. Not being " in on the joke" is not usually very funny for those not in on it

VMK_Schweetz

Game Administrator
Game Administrator
MyVMK Designer
MyVMK Staff
I am going to be completely transparent here. The staff were having fun last night and Amy sent most of the game alerts. People were actually sending in Call For Helps after the very first game alert was was sent out; so in an effort to not fog up the Call For Helps with a bunch of weird things, and to be able to focus on the actual problems with the HOST event, I sent those other game alerts.

Having been apart of other volunteer groups before MyVMK, in those groups we all had fun and did things like that. I know everyone is worked up about the recent events with the game, but I think with those events we could all use a little bit of fun. It's something that takes our minds off of everything bad with the game.

I'm sure in other professional jobs people joke around like that all the time. It takes off a lot of stress with the job that people do. We are volunteers and we do, do this in our free time. With all things considered we would like to have a little fun with the game from time to time since most of us do not really get the chance to really play the game anymore.

I really hope that you all can understand were we are coming from and hope every single one of you has a magical day!

Nope, I was only on Mozilla and it was only the myvmk website. Other sites were fine.i tried rebooting. The only way I was able to finish the quest was to go through IE and even that froze & booted me multiple times.

[I'm trying to avoid a wall of text, so I added spoilers for the less important stuff.]
I'm usually the first person to call for professionalism, but good lord the alerts were hilarious, even with the confusion. I'm glad staff said something today, though because I was definitely in the group of "What the heck is going on? Is there a hacker?"

Schweetz is right, though... a lot of professional places still joke around. I worked on campus up until I graduated in an office that handled all of the big events that came through including a very prestigious NFL training camp which meant professionalism up the wazoo, and it was my favorite job I've ever had (we'll see how Disney stacks up against it) because we did goof around. My mom's boss will sing Spongebob Squarepants during his surgeries that she assists on and he's been doing that since he opened 15 years ago.

Especially with all of the tensions happening, they need a way to just let the steam out. I completely get why people are upset because I can see how it can be something along the lines of: well if you're going to joke around don't do so on expense of the players. So I'm not trying to demoralize (?) everyone's feelings of the situation.

Staff and Amy aren't robots, though. I'm sure if you were staff you'd want to send out a goofy/off topic alert every once in a while (because I've definitely thought about it if I were staff someday, sending out a message like "good morning I hope you had your orange juice today!"). I understand why everyone was upset because they had no idea if it was a hacker/what was going on, but now that we know it was staff can we all just tone it down a little bit? They're doing exactly what we asked and being transparent with us. Tensions are very high right now. I don't think there's any kind of "Expectation of Staff behavior from players" manual. I don't know if there's any kind of contract that the staff follow (maybe it would help if we could see it and know Amy's expectations?). I don't know a way to eliminate the tension but maybe we can all think of a way together that might help ease some of the boogers between staff and the players. Because this is getting to be a little too much.

Last edited:
Thanks Green! I'm not sure why it would think I was logged in twice until I started trying to get back in via Mozilla then I.E., to try & complete the darn thing. Have you ever had your text turn to wingdings and/or have the screen and font become so small and cut-off that it is unreadable? I tried messing with my display settings and it didn't change a thing, vmk wise. All other websites were huge though, lol!

I am going to be completely transparent here. The staff were having fun last night and Amy sent most of the game alerts. People were actually sending in Call For Helps after the very first game alert was was sent out; so in an effort to not fog up the Call For Helps with a bunch of weird things, and to be able to focus on the actual problems with the HOST event, I sent those other game alerts.

Having been apart of other volunteer groups before MyVMK, in those groups we all had fun and did things like that. I know everyone is worked up about the recent events with the game, but I think with those events we could all use a little bit of fun. It's something that takes our minds off of everything bad with the game.

I'm sure in other professional jobs people joke around like that all the time. It takes off a lot of stress with the job that people do. We are volunteers and we do, do this in our free time. With all things considered we would like to have a little fun with the game from time to time since most of us do not really get the chance to really play the game anymore.

I really hope that you all can understand were we are coming from and hope every single one of you has a magical day!
Trust me, I understand all about putting effort into something you volunteer for and needing to blow off steam, I was a guild leader and officer in SWTOR and WoW, and having to plan events, run the guild, etc. is a huge stress, and running this game is that but ten times over. So trust me, I appreciate all that you do, and the people that criticize you appreciate what you do cause after all, we wouldn't be here to enjoy the game if it wasn't for the hard work of all the staff.

But like I said in other posts, I'm all about having fun. That is the main purpose of the game. The main issues regarding what happened last night is that:
1) It happened during a time where people may have been confused with what was going on, getting booted from queue and game-wide dc, both elements that lead to people being confused, the inside joke that was going on during those in game announcements led to further confusion. There are other inside jokes that go on through announcements but it's normally when things are running smoothly, so it isn't a problem, but when this was going on there were other issues going on in the game. It'd be like if there was a fire in a store but rather than the managers directing people to exits over the intercom, they make jokes instead.
2) Communication, like what was said by others earlier in the thread, there was no communication regarding what happened until somebody brought it up. Communication is the underlying issue of all the tension in this game, and while we appreciate all the transparency as of late, there are still issues regarding communication.

That's just how I see it.

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who has had it happen, thank you! Hopefully when I get on after work tonight, it will have had long enough of a time out and will be back to normal :) Thanks again!

I missed the trading event & weird pop-ups. At first, I thought it was related but it seems like it wasn't.

Hugs to all!

I wasn't on to witness any of this, but it seems that a message in game saying "sorry we were just messing around" after all that could have solved a lot of the problem. Those messages were pretty comical.

As @VMK_Schweetz said it is true that staff goof off even in a professional setting. It's just that most of it does happen privately (over a headset like my job did) which I'm sure they do goof off secretly without our knowledge. If we goofed off in front of customers we told them "We're so sorry you had to see that. It's been a stressful day and we just had to let off some steam and laugh for a second."

Number one complaint is communication. Still is and you are not understanding this. Why should we have to ask why? Be proactive and tell us instead of waiting for some player to bring it up. If you could only be proactive instead of reactive most of the negatives in this game would go away. Guess what it is free. Takes hardly any effort to do. So please please start consistent communication. You will feel more appreciated and loved..
2) Communication, like what was said by others earlier in the thread, there was no communication regarding what happened until somebody brought it up. Communication is the underlying issue of all the tension in this game, and while we appreciate all the transparency as of late, there are still issues regarding communication.

That's just how I see it.
Why is communication so hard to understand? I read all the posts and agree with majority; okay ya'll can have some fun and blow off steam but god forbid telling us stuff?
I never saw the pop ups till black beard posted them and they were funny but yea everyone is just upset with lack of communication for months.
If you have time to goof off (not saying you can't) then you have time to post delayed stuff and COMMUNICATE with us.

Just to add to what Schweetz said...
People keep comparing us to a store. But that's the thing, we're not a store, we're not a business, this is not our job. We volunteer our time, willingly. Not because we have to. That's because we all genuinely do love this game, and all the players, and we really do try to make things work. Amy used to do stuff like this quite a bit back in the day. Mess around in public rooms with you all, send silly alerts.. I think it's great that Amy was having some fun with us, especially after being too afraid to even touch the game for a bit. Nothing negative came from our 5 minutes of fun. We still answered every serious call, brought everyone back in after dc's or boots. It was just harmless fun. I understand your frustration with some things, but there's a difference between constructive criticism, and straight up bashing. We appreciate those who take the high road.
- Angel/Nala:hearts::paw:

Gamecrazy

I dont understand this.. wouldn't you rather it be the staff than some hacker making the game unsafe? If you're having issues with the quest, send a cfh and we can help you from there.
No, I'd rather it be a hacker with that kind of maturity level

Just to add to what Schweetz said...
People keep comparing us to a store. But that's the thing, we're not a store, we're not a business, this is not our job. We volunteer our time, willingly. Not because we have to. That's because we all genuinely do love this game, and all the players, and we really do try to make things work. Amy used to do stuff like this quite a bit back in the day. Mess around in public rooms with you all, send silly alerts.. I think it's great that Amy was having some fun with us, especially after being too afraid to even touch the game for a bit. Nothing negative came from our 5 minutes of fun. We still answered every serious call, brought everyone back in after dc's or boots. It was just harmless fun. I understand your frustration with some things, but there's a difference between constructive criticism, and straight up bashing. We appreciate those who take the high road.
- Angel/Nala:hearts::paw:
You guys act like we're just being irrational and just straight up bashing you, we're not! As someone who really really cares about this game and wants to see it be successful, I'm just telling you what I see, and what other players see. Not everyone wants to speak up for fear of being deemed as mean or overly critical by the staff and the repercussions following that, so I and others are voicing concerns that other people might be too shy or scared to say. We're not telling you not to have fun, I said in all my posts on this thread that the main purpose of this game is to have fun after all. We just want communication that's it, I understand blowing off steam, I understand hiccups in the game because real life comes first, I understand that this isn't anything you have to do, but when you're in a position of power, you have to be willing to hear the good and the bad, because ultimately, putting those things together and addressing both the good and the bad is what makes anything, whether it be a business, a website, a game, a guild, anything, successful.

Last edited:

Christa

probably sleeping
You guys act like we're just being irrational and just straight up bashing you, we're not, as someone who really really cares about this game and wants to see it be successful, I'm just telling you what I see, and what other players see. Not everyone wants to speak up for fear of being deemed as mean or overly critical by the staff and the repercussions following that, so I and others are voicing concerns that other people might be too shy or scared to say. We're not telling you not to have fun, I said in all my posts on this thread that the main purpose of this game is to have fun after all. We just want communication that's it, I understand blowing off steam, I understand hiccups in the game because real life comes first, I understand that this isn't anything you have to do, but when you're in a position of power, you have to be willing to hear the good and the bad, because ultimately, putting those things together and addressing both the good and the bad is what makes anything, whether it be a business, a website, a game, a guild, anything, successful.
Arvin,
I'm going to start by saying that the game has always been like this. I remember back in the day
when random in-game alerts were the norm. Why is it such a witch hunt now? Everyone is too critical.
People are looking for the staff to mess up so they can tear them apart later. They're all human. Let them have
their fun. The messages were a comic relief...I'm sure the staff are having a hard enough time as it is
dealing with the rolling wave of CFH's and having to bring everyone back in that was booted.
They shouldn't have to communicate every little thing that they do...

they shouldn't have to be under a microscope all of the time.

Last edited:
@Whisp Yes, they don't have to communicate every little thing they do but if everyone's confused especially with DCs and such going on, everyone could join in on the fun and enjoy themselves if there was communication involved and not further in when people are worried about getting back into the room. They are all asking for communication. It's not really that hard. We are doing it right now. It takes a few seconds to just type up a message.

Christa

probably sleeping
@Whisp Yes, they don't have to communicate every little thing they do but if everyone's confused especially with DCs and such going on, everyone could join in on the fun and enjoy themselves if there was communication involved and not further in when people are worried about getting back into the room. They are all asking for communication. It's not really that hard. We are doing it right now. It takes a few seconds to just type up a message.
If I remember correctly, Bambi made a post just yesterday
explaining the booting and the DCs.
That should have been enough communication.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I am confused by Angels post. First off most of the posts were constructive. Is any criticism considered bad> Second off. The last game message should have said sorry we were just letting off steam. I want to thank VMK_Schweetz for trying to be professional during the "Joking" time. Though I know much of this kind of joking was done early when the game was young. There is a time and place.

That said Your quote Angle " This was around the time the "boot monster" was kicking players from the room, so we were answering all the calls, bringing everyone back in, testing what could have caused it, rebooting the server, etc."

Was this really the best time to be pulling a joke like this. Not the time or place. No, you did not really answer all possible calls. Why because of the confusion many were afraid to put in a call for Help. I for one. Lost my place in line in the mess. Since I had already made it in I decided to just leave it. I would normally have put in a call for help but being told I could get banned did not leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. Decided not to risk it.

It was also not a good thing to do this while trying to run a event. Those hosts are under enough stress. This I am sure only added to it. It was not very respectful to them.

The fact is I am ok with silly alerts. Just make sure at the end of it let people know. To end with you will be banned for 24 hours if you send in a random call for help was not a good. What did random mean? Yes many can guess but not 100% sure.

If this joke was done not during a major boot and glitches then there would be no issues either. You have people on this game who have cognitive disabilities that do not get these jokes. So please do not do this when they are having glitchy issues is not fair either.

Many people will not post what they truly feeling because of fear of not winning competitions and other stuff. Sometimes criticism hurts. People can choose to be angry and put those trying to give constructive criticism down. It is for whoever is receiving it, to look at it, and say does this apply to me. How can I use this to make me a better person. To grow.

The bottom line which no staff has addressed here is the problem with Communication in any posts. Just justifications.

Something did come from the five minutes of "fun". Staff should have learned, you are still not communicating with the players the way we are asking.

You wonder why people post on those evil blogs. Because they feel put down when trying so hard to get the staff to listen. Basically saying thanks for not posting your dislike and taking the high road is like saying Shut up and don't say anything. Makes me feel like why care. Staff keep telling us they care. They are working hard. And we keep telling you communicate. Never the two shall meet it seems.

PS. You know I am also one of the first to point out when something is done really well. I will make the extra effort to encourage a staff when needed or thank a staff for a well made item. So I flow both ways.

Last edited: