Affordable Makeup

Hey so I've never really been into makeup much. Mainly just wore a little foundation powder and lip balm - tried eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow everyday in winter but then got lazy in general and once the new year came around because you basically sweat off any makeup here anyway because it's always hot and usually humid.

Most of my makeup was Bare Minerals because that's what my mom buys so she let me try it out, but I've been to Sephora and know there is a heck of a lot of other (so I heard) good makeup brands and products out there. I remember I went there once and they bombarded me with a free face makeup makeover against my will because I'm too nice...I ended up looking like a freaking China doll because of the pink blush they used and heavy foundation. Felt like I was wearing a mask. Anyway haha so you know I don't like heavy makeup.

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced, good quality mascara, basic neutral eyeshadow palette, eyeliner, as well as makeup remover. If anyone has any recommendations of brands/products with quality/price/length of time they last as well as basic eye makeup tips especially how to with contacts lol and if liquid or pencil eyeliner is better/easier to put on, let me know tyvm :D

Last edited:

Hypnotic

honestly I only wear mascara and eyeliner but My favorite mascara is L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Miss Manga Angel..I also dont know what you mean by reasonably priced. I paid 6 bucks for mine which I thought was decent for how nice it is. No clumps yet for me.
I personally think pencil eyeliner is easier IF YOU ARE USING IT ON THE BOTTOM. I use liquid on the top and theres this one I bought its both in one and its great NYX Two- Timer Dual Ended Eyeliner
--
as for th eother items I am not sure of :/

M.I.N.T.Y

If you are looking for quality affordable makeup I would check out e.l.f (eyes,lips face makeup). Most of their makeup is under 10 dollars. I find most of their products like eyeliner, lipsticks, and foundation to be nice. I have sensitive skin so their product called Studio Acne Fighting Foundation is light and doesn't make me breakout. I think the foundation is around 6 dollars which is amazing compared to others out there. For affordable makeup I would give them a try! :)

asyuna

Elf is always a good brand when it comes to affordability.
A good and neutral eye shadow pallet are the Urban Decay Naked paletts. I've used them all, personally 3 is my favourite. But 1 is most neutral in my opinion. There are also Urban Decay Naked Basic paletts, these are very simple, matte, pretty colours. They are all kind of pricey...but it is because they are such a good brand of makeup. I dont even have to use a primer with them. Plus i've had my Naked 1 palette for over 2 years now- they last a good while. For foundation I use Makeup Forever-however its very pricey and I plan on changing once I run out. I have very sensitive skin though so I always have to be careful. Almay is VERY nice for foundation/concealers(especially for sensitive skin) they are pretty affordable too.
For mascara I use Maybelline or Covergirl. I like to play around with the fun ones you see on TV(cat eyes, manga eyes, ect)
For blushes I use bare minerals, just cause I love the shades and the colour literally stays on all throughout the day. No smearing/smudgy look.

The thing with makeup though is yes its expensive. But in my opinion, the top dollar brands ARE worth the money. They are long lasting. I've used cheaper brands and find my face looking runny and faded within a few hours... the faster it comes off, the more youre having to use to reapply it- and the more you use, the more quicker you'll have to buy it again. So sometimes you save more money buying the more better quality stuff.
Look up youtube videos or reviews on makeupalley before you buy a product also!

Elf is always a good brand when it comes to affordability.
A good and neutral eye shadow pallet are the Urban Decay Naked paletts. I've used them all, personally 3 is my favourite. But 1 is most neutral in my opinion. There are also Urban Decay Naked Basic paletts, these are very simple, matte, pretty colours. They are all kind of pricey...but it is because they are such a good brand of makeup. I dont even have to use a primer with them. Plus i've had my Naked 1 palette for over 2 years now- they last a good while. For foundation I use Makeup Forever-however its very pricey and I plan on changing once I run out. I have very sensitive skin though so I always have to be careful. Almay is VERY nice for foundation/concealers(especially for sensitive skin) they are pretty affordable too.
For mascara I use Maybelline or Covergirl. I like to play around with the fun ones you see on TV(cat eyes, manga eyes, ect)
For blushes I use bare minerals, just cause I love the shades and the colour literally stays on all throughout the day. No smearing/smudgy look.

The thing with makeup though is yes its expensive. But in my opinion, the top dollar brands ARE worth the money. They are long lasting. I've used cheaper brands and find my face looking runny and faded within a few hours... the faster it comes off, the more youre having to use to reapply it- and the more you use, the more quicker you'll have to buy it again. So sometimes you save more money buying the more better quality stuff.
Look up youtube videos or reviews on makeupalley before you buy a product also!
I agree completely. Better brands really do look better and if you look good, you feel good. I made the switch to mac a few months ago and haven't turned back since. I have eczema and just really sensitive skin in general, and the cheaper brands weren't cutting it and sometimes made things worse. and I was allergic to bare minerals (which was the case for some friends as well... weird). I also like that mac products don't feel heavy on your face and you can use less because you're not constantly reapplying throughout the day like with others. I was using a lot of cover girl from target and it was fine but nowhere near mac, and my skin actually feels better since switching. Think about the type of skin you have (dry, oily, etc) and look up reviews online; you can find out about anything and find great alternatives to products as well. maybe try out a few different brands and see what works best for you.

Alaura Sporleder

Queen Of The Stage
Personally, I would suggest using Cover Girl All In One liquid foundation. That would eliminate the need for a powder, although I usually go over mine with a airbrushing powder just for effect. In regards to eyeliner, e.l.f by far makes the best. As far mascara goes, I use the CoverGirl lash blast because it is just amazing and gives off the lick eyelash appearance that I normally go for. Good luck!

pirateguitarchick

eyerolling is my cardio.
wooo, my specialty! i'm a beauty advisor for my job (:

for me, personality, i think the best investments are foundation and eyeshadow.
the eyeliner, mascara, lipsticks...ect can be best for department stores.

for foundation, i love any BB cream.
for department stores, i love garner's BB creams or Physicians Formula! (light and not cakey!)
Urban Decay's foundation is great and its light, not cakey at all.

for eyeshadows, i really like Urban Decay's. its a great investment, they last you a long time and get high pigmentation.
i honestly don't like any department store eyeshadows, from any i've tried. its too light in color and dusty.

my favorite mascara is the double end tube from l'oreal, its a primer on one side and a lengthening mascara on the other. all my customers love it.
my favorite eyeliner is revlon's color stay. it is waterproof and lasts aaaaaall day. they have the best colors too!

Ooh thanks everyone! I asked this so it can spare me the money and time of testing different makeup, and also to see what product is worth the money. I'll definitely at least have to check out Elf, Urban Decay eyeshadow, and L'oreal mascara. I just use Bare Minerals for a little foundation because my mom already paid for and had it so it saves money lol which is okay. Yeah I heard Mac is great but pricey? Probably worth it, but need to save a little :(

Any recommendations on what brand is good for lip gloss? :') I hope I can find a few of the makeup products at Kohl's because they always have those coupons and discounts :D

Cat

Okay,
So I'm a huge make-up addict, and my favorite neutral pallet of all time is Too Faced's chocolate bar pallet. It's a little more expensive, but it's worth it as far as the price goes. And it's still not expensive as other pallets.
The best part? It's infused with cocoa powder so it SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE
And honestly, Too Faced's whole chocolate line works so well on me. I have pretty sensitive skin, and their chocolate powder foundation doesn't make me break out or give me a rash.
Some things in life, you need to splurge on. With other things, you should hold back. With makeup, you should defiantly treat yourself every once in awhile.
And most beauty bloggers have also listed it as their 'holy grail' neutral eyeshadow pallet. In my opinion, it's better than any of the Naked pallets as well. (AND IT'S CHEAPER AND SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE)

Jillybean1037

Being obsessed with makeup and watching so many 'beauty gurus' I can definitely try to help you out!
For eyes you can use eye primer, liner, shadow, mascara
There are 2 ways you can do eyeshadow:
1. Buy the urban decay primer for $27 dollars ( i think) and buy the cheapest eyeshadow and have them stay on amazingly well
2. Ditch the primer and buy expensive eyeshadow, I recommend the first naked palette and the naked basics by Urban Decay
* also you can try Elfs primer many say its good I personally had no luck with it but I have really oily lids anyways
Eyeliner I personally use a nude color on my water line to make my eyes bigger but use whatever you like a good black liner for your top lid thats inexpensive is NYX's curve liner meant to be easy to hold
Mascara, so I personally have to buy this one expensive one because its the ONLY thing my lashes will work with and its Lights Camera Splashes water proof by Tarte. If your lashes don't curl try a waterproof mascara and an eyelash curler, I use revlon's curler and its great. But mascara is something you need to try its a trial and error thing with formulas but any drugstore should be fine.
Make up Remover- try simples micellular water its amazing and a face wash too also neutrogena make up remover wipes!

I think thats it! Some extra tips to keep in mind. If you purchase anything from sephora BECOME AN INSIDER you gain points for every dollar and can get rewards for samples and sometimes really great full sized products. Remember YOU CAN SAY NO to them they wont bite or shouldn't. Also! Anything that is in a liquid/ cream form or is pump-able and sanitary can be made into a sample you can use for more than one use! This goes for all perfume and skin care too..I can't count how many times I get samples of a face mask because its actually $80 and I A. don't want to spend that much and B. Only use it once every 3 months. Ulta also has a reward system and also carries a lot of lower end brands which means you can buy all your lower end makeup and still rack up points! They also apparently have a hair stylist section now too? Pretty cool if you ask me!
I hope you find everything you need and good luck! P.S Sorry if their are any spelling or grammar errors I'm just to tired to fix them XD

Last edited:

Otters

omg a good drugstore foundation is Revlon's 24 hour one idk but it comes in like a round kinda glass bottle and it's really really good
and it's kinda expensive, but all the colors are good for anything and it's Too Faced's Natural Eye palette
a cheaper palette though is Maybelline's The Nudes or whatever, I haven't tried it tbh but I have 2 friends that love it
Nyx has really good lipstick in my opinion
(and to make it stay longer, but powder over it and then reapply over the powder)
eyeliner im honestly rlly bad at so idk
and mascara is really good fromt he drugstore honestly, i really like the butterfly one I think from L'oreal idk tbh and the thousand lashes i think is good too i heard
hoNESTLY i just use the store brand makeup remover for now bc i wash my face right after and my face wash removes most of it anyway
but i do like using makeup removing liquid more than the wipes yeah

acebatonfan

ELF has some pretty high-quality stuff for less than $10. I am absolutely in love with their brow kit, clear mascara/brow gel duo, and makeup remover wipes.

Personally, I'm in love with Lancome's makeup. I'm cheap and hate paying the full price for it, so I tend to stock up on my makeup when they have a "buy x amount in makeup, get a beauty box filled with more makeup for 50-75% off" (they always have this offer during Black Friday). I can get a lipstick and a mascara and will then get 3-4 eyeshadows, blush, more mascara, eyeliner, and 2-3 lipsticks at a heavy discount. The stuff I have seems to last forever (I bought one Rouge in Love lipstick two and a half years ago, use it daily, and it still looks like new. It's so highly pigmented), so it's been a really good investment.

I've also had success buying makeup at outlet malls. Most of the time, the stuff is discontinued or seasonal items, but they're discounted by at least 25-30%.

I LOOOOVEEEEE makeup. As a suffering, low-budget college student who collects makeup, I can tell you that if you live near an Ulta or Target: NYX Cosmetics is definitely my go-to makeup brand. Their foundations can be pricier: $10-15 dollars, but they have some great eyeshadows and eyeliners in every color imaginable. I love their lipsticks/lipglosses especially.

SpriteFabio

As a drag queen I'm used to putting on heavy makeup lol, but I'll give you my favorites for Makeup products according to what I use.
Foundation Primer: Smashbox Primer or E.L.F Primer (Smashbox .5 oz is $16, E.L.F's is about $3-5)
Smashbox's Photofinish primer is my absolute favorite because it's very soft on the skin and even after you take it off; it leaves your face feeling buttery smooth and moisturized. It is a little pricey, but depending on how often you would use it, it's worth it. E.L.F's Primers are alright, but I was really off-put by it's scent and feel on my skin. It smells really weird and it feels kind of greasy on my skin...But other than that It's alright.

Foundation: Sephora 10 HR Foundation or Covergirl Liquid Smoothers Makeup ($22 for Sephora, $7 for Covergirl's on walmart)
Sephora's 10 HR Foundation is my favorite bc it goes on nicely and becomes matte after a while (which is perfect for queens lol). This is good for like special events or days where you wanna stand out a little more. But for the lighter side, I love covergirl's Liqud Smoother. It's nice because you can layer it on since it's kind of a thinner consistency and simple to use. I use my beauty blender to blend these both in and to press it on my face, but you can also use a makeup sponge if you'd prefer.

Mascara: Rimmel London ScandalEyes Flex ($5-7 from walgreens)
I LOVE this mascara because it really thickens and lengthens my lashes which is perfect because I don't know how to apply lashes yet, a little goes a long way with this stuff.

Eyeshadows: Coastal Scents Pallets (assorted prices, all usually under $20)
They have AMAZING pallets with 50+ different colors if you want something very colorful, and they also have really neat simple pallets ranging around $20 which is not bad. The entire website has really nice affordable alternatives for a lot of products you might be familiar to using so I highly recommend it.

Lips: BiteBeauty Lip Duo Creme Stick ($12 on Sephora)
I love these because they're the perfect size to stash in your purse or bag. Their Nude lipstick is really simple but lovely, and their Tangerine/Lingonberry color is really neat. The best thing I love about these is that you can easily combine them together to create another shade. Despite their mini Size, they're lasting me a long time.

Eyeliner: E.L.F Eyeliner Pencil ($2-3)
This is a simple yet effective pencil, plus it comes with a free sharpener. Everybody wins! #YAAAS

I know this is very long, but These are my personal faves for lighter looks. Hope it helps!!

cutecutemomo

I would definitely go out and check the Clinique line because their stuff is hypoallergenic and personally works really good for me, except the foundation. Plus they usually have times when they give you a free bag of stuff if you purchase a product((:

Zelena

I use Maybelline the rocket volum' express mascara, it's like $7 and makes my lashes very long. Occasionally i'll use Rimmel london scandeleyes show off mascara, about $7 and again makes my lashes super long. I use a small bit of light pink blush (any brand), maybellin dream matte mousse foundation (personally use the porcelain ivory kind it's a light shade because i'm slightly pasty), about $10. For eyeshadow I use any kind as long as it has a lightish pink and then a pink lipstick that is just a shade darker than my lips (i use revlon rose & shine $7, or maybellines color sensational $8).

on a side note I just discovered i own a lot of maybelline products.

Laguna

~.*~:.:lone:.:~*.~
I'm not even a makeup user but I have lots of friends who use Mac and they always look flawless and I think a lot of YouTube beauty gurus use it like Michelle Phan her voice is so soothing her videos are always interesting to watch but yeah like what people said above it maybe a little pricey but it's worth it
I use mac (: