Bread and Circuses

Jal

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
I'll keep this short and sweet. I never actually sought out popcorn magic. It's nice, but I have no intention of obtaining any more items in the game at the moment. Just thought it'd be a fun way to spend time with a group of friends, which it was for a bit. But, we couldn't help but notice the popcorn magic notification at the end of each game. I just started playing pirates TODAY so keep in mind, I have next to no experience at it after 7 years of not playing.

1. I'm basically advocating for either a lower requirement (preferably 4k or 4.5k) or a temporarily higher payout in PoTC.
  2. I got roughly 50 credits a game, so how I have no idea how the staff expects anyone to reach the 7500 point requirement from pirates without going insane...? In 3 hours of straight gameplay, I only made it to 1.5k points, whereas someone who's at an intermediate/advanced level (who had more wins than I did) didn't even reach half of the goal. 3 hours. When I actually cared about getting all the magics, most were priced at 10k, which would take me about 2 hours to get with straight fireworks.
  3. I get that it's not supposed to be easy, but it also shouldn't be so drawn-out like this. After a few hours, even with a full game full of laughs, it started to get incredibly tedious.
  4. Is this intentional? Are these huge requirements to distract from the present matters at hand? Because that's all I could think about after playing.
  5. From Wikipedia, for those who don't understand what I'm referencing in the title: "Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is metonymic for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the generation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace, as an offered "palliative."

Jal

I actually thought it was a cumulative score, like it was when we obtained keys... Hmm!
It is cumulative. For PoTC the requirement is 7500. For Jungle Cruise, the requirement is 325k. At this rate, buying the magic in the shop at 10k than playing games for hours to get one pin would be much more enjoyable and less time-consuming. Also, when they had these requirements for keys, it didn't take over 3 hours to get one lol?

Tohrukun

From Wikipedia, for those who don't understand what I'm referencing in the title: "Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is metonymic for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the generation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace, as an offered "palliative."
similar to how the disney parks divert attention away from crisis situations (this is a more literal example though)
I've heard crazy stories about that

kamzarro

I actually really enjoy this. I respect the fact that a lot of people on this game care more about obtaining items and only play to get credits, but there are a lot of us that truly do play HM/POTC/whatever just for fun and it's awesome to get rewarded for that (AND make credits at the same time!). I agree that the cutoffs should be more equal between games, but we do have a month and that's plenty of time to meet the goal regardless of skill level.

I actually really enjoy this. I respect the fact that a lot of people on this game care more about obtaining items and only play to get credits, but there are a lot of us that truly do play HM/POTC/whatever just for fun and it's awesome to get rewarded for that (AND make credits at the same time!). I agree that the cutoffs should be more equal between games, but we do have a month and that's plenty of time to meet the goal regardless of skill level.
I agree! I would play POTC even if it gave no credits, its so much fun

If we talk the efficiency playing each game to obtain Popcorn Magic, I would rate the games in this order:

- Fireworks Remixed (assuming scores of 7000 points) would take 5 games; at 12 minutes a game, estimate 1 hour
- Jungle Cruise (assuming scores of 45000 points) would take 8 games; at 10 minutes a game, estimate 1.5 hours
- Haunted Mansion (assuming scores of 70 points) would take 15 games; at 10 minutes a game, estimate 2.5 hours
- Pirates of the Caribbean (assuming scores of 75 points) would take 100 games; at 6 minutes a game, estimate 10 hours

So as you can see, the scores have been altered for the population density playing the game, or something.

Jal

If we talk the efficiency playing each game to obtain Popcorn Magic, I would rate the games in this order:

- Fireworks Remixed (assuming scores of 7000 points) would take 5 games; at 12 minutes a game, estimate 1 hour
- Jungle Cruise (assuming scores of 45000 points) would take 8 games; at 10 minutes a game, estimate 1.5 hours
- Haunted Mansion (assuming scores of 70 points) would take 15 games; at 10 minutes a game, estimate 2.5 hours
- Pirates of the Caribbean (assuming scores of 75 points) would take 100 games; at 6 minutes a game, estimate 10 hours

So as you can see, the scores have been altered for the population density playing the game, or something.
Not sure about you guys but uh, I don't love pirates enough to play it for 10hours??? But I guess the amount of time it takes for each game is subjective, depending on who's on your team.

kamzarro

I think it's really hard to make such assumptions. I personally don't think I could get even close to 7k in fireworks or 45k in JC but I average 250 points in POTC easily. I'd say 75 is pretty low considering you automatically get 100 if you win, plus any points you get for shooting people, plus at least two 25 point round bonuses. But if you were constantly losing then yeah it would be that low.

The point is, some are better at some games than others, which is why it's great that this applies to all games -- and doesn't force anyone to play a particular game that they don't like or aren't good at!

Last edited:
I think it's really hard to make such assumptions. I personally don't think I could get even close to 7k in fireworks or 45k in JC but I average 250 points in POTC easily. I'd say 75 is pretty low considering you automatically get 100 if you win, plus any points you get for shooting people, plus at least two 25 point round bonuses. But if you were constantly losing then yeah it would be that low.

The point is, some are better at some games than others, which is why it's great that this applies to all games -- and doesn't force anyone to play a particular game that they don't like or aren't good at!
Whoa. That's possible? I guess I'm so inconsistent I can't score that high. I didn't really factor in the scoring bonuses and maybe it's because I lose so much. :p

One point I can make is that it's not guaranteed you're going to get a decent payout in Pirates because of many factors not present in the other games.

Erin

1) JAL when were you online?? did I miss you?? That is so tragic

2) it took me like 2 hours playing potc to get my magic with an average payout of 200-300 creds

It all depends on what game youre good at. I average about 85 ghosts a game in HM, at 8 minutes a game, it took me about an hour and a half of on and off playing to get the magic.
Plus, 1000 ghosts (not counting win bonuses) comes out to 10K, so its like youre being paid 10K for the magic instead of paying the 10K.