Clearing the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
It's hard to improve upon something that holds little depth, from an outsiders perspective.
VMK's exterior is a casual one. There isn't much there. It seems as if, the initial plan of the game was something simple, but the community and staff over time adopted traits from other online games. This giving the interior of a game, a rather complex engine. VMK's setting holds little value to the gameplay. The whole 'disney theme' is just the backdrop to the actual game.
There are a lot more things at play here, than exploring and reliving the 'wonderful magic of Disney'!
Like trading for example. The problem with trading, is that it's become the core aspect of the game. Trading has replaced what should be the primary aspect of the game.
VMK isn't intended to be a solo experience, and yet because of the high demand for more rare items, it's become somewhat of that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'anti-rare', or 'anti-trading'. I believe that trading is a very important part of the game for SOME people. The problem that other players and I are faced with, is that we don't particularly care about how rare an item is. We don't care for it's value. We care about how it looks.
So while other players like to flaunt their expensive and rare items, there are others, like myself, who wear what we want.
BUT, obtaining certain items that we wanted in the previous game is, undoubtedly, extremely, time-consuming and difficult.

My main point I'm trying to make is, making items rare as soon as possible has become an issue for the more casual players. It's practically been shoved down our throats.
Another problem is:

MyVMK is NOT VMK. Things should change, things should be different. Do NOT mimick what was rare in the previous game. One thing we were all looking forward to, was obtaining things we could NOT in the previous game. So please, be CREATIVE with what you retire! Or, take it easy on retiring items constantly. The game doesn't revolve around trading. :/
The whole trading thing is the community's problem, not the staff. Amy has no control over what we make of this game, whether the majority of us bases MyVMK around trading or socialization.
MyVMK is the magic kingdom. While I support that we don't mimic every single thing from the original version, this game still revolves around Disney parks. That was the intentions at first, and it still is. The reason we came here was to relive not only the original VMK, but the Disney parks as well, while also giving it our own touch - I don't think anyone wants it to the point where you can't even compare VMK and MyVMK anymore.

Thanks for this, Snow! Amy, you, and the rest of the staff put so much time, effort, and dedication into this game that we love so much, and it deserves to be appreciated! Yeah, not meeting deadlines is a little disheartening, but just think about when Pirates does come out, we'll have plenty of time to enjoy playing, so no rush:) It's just sad that some people ruin it for everyone else, and stress Amy and staff out, is all.
Love the Twitter, by the way. Great way to communicate:thumbsup:

Anubis

أنوبيس الثناء!
I personally don't look at the birthday party incident and think, "Wow, how dare amy give that girl a recolored dress for an hour!" I look at it more of, "Wow, why does that girl get a birthday party hosted by Amy, and no one else?" It just kinda felt like favoritism to me, I know when my birthday comes that I would love to have a birthday party hosted by a staff member (9/18 if a staff member wants to do it <<33). So what Im trying to say in, don't throw players parties, or if you do, throw everyone a party. (that would be almost everyday.) :) Just what I think.

I thank each and everyone of you for addressing your issues. Criticism is what helps us improve upon mistakes we have made in the past and I will be reviewing everything carefully. You all have great ideas and I for one, would love to see some of these things to be implemented. You are all wonderful :)

-Snow

Amy

Head Administrator
I personally don't look at the birthday party incident and think, "Wow, how dare amy give that girl a recolored dress for an hour!" I look at it more of, "Wow, why does that girl get a birthday party hosted by Amy, and no one else?" It just kinda felt like favoritism to me, I know when my birthday comes that I would love to have a birthday party hosted by a staff member (9/18 if a staff member wants to do it <<33). So what Im trying to say in, don't throw players parties, or if you do, throw everyone a party. (that would be almost everyday.) :) Just what I think.
The thing is though, players throw parties all the time for other players. I just wanted to be able to do the same. I wasn't throwing it for her because I'm a staff member, I was throwing it for her because I'm her friend.

Desertfreak

Lost Desert team member
The thing is though, players throw parties all the time for other players. I just wanted to be able to do the same. I wasn't throwing it for her because I'm a staff member, I was throwing it for her because I'm her friend.
I completely respect that. I mean if I was in Amy's shoes and knew someone personally and it was their birthday I would do something like that. I see people throwing parties all the time so Amy has every right. I think the problem here is communication. If Amy sent a message out talking about this I think it would have been better.

Lost

I haven't addressed anything about the party yet.

I really have no clue why everyone is so upset over it. Obviously you have friends who play and have made friends during this process. I don't see why people are making a big deal over it. It's not like you haven't recoloured other items for other people in the past for fun, or made them match your outfit.

As for the whole staff member throwing a party, I can see why some people would be mad over that but gosh it's such a small community and the creator wanted to celebrate her birthday in-game by throwing a party. It's not the end of the world.

I completely respect that. I mean if I was in Amy's shoes and knew someone personally and it was their birthday I would do something like that. I see people throwing parties all the time so Amy has every right. I think the problem here is communication. If Amy sent a message out talking about this I think it would have been better.
I think that's probably the key thing here. Even though it was just a birthday party for a friend, there needed to be open communication to avoid this.

I know it must be a hassle having to communicate little things like that but if you don't then stuff like this and what happened in the shoutbox happen. People wonder why, who, what special perks etc and it snowballs.

Communication is the key thing because its a small community and things can be taken the wrong way easily.

Last edited:
Aww… and that is what friends are for. That's lovely. :)

Amy

Head Administrator
What kind of message though? A game alert? Because that wouldn't have been very good and would've made it more official than anything else really.

Desertfreak

Lost Desert team member
What kind of message though? A game alert? Because that wouldn't have been very good and would've made it more official than anything else really.
I was thinking more of a message on the forums, saying something like it's my friends birthday and I decided to do something special so please don't get mad, I just wanted to do something for my friend :)

Amy

Head Administrator
I was thinking more of a message on the forums, saying something like it's my friends birthday and I decided to do something special so please don't get mad, I just wanted to do something for my friend :)
Maybe, I was just a bit weary of giving it extra advertisement.

Anubis

أنوبيس الثناء!
I respect that she is your friend, but you still must remember that you are a staff member. I felt is was unprofessional in a way. In the end you must put all players over 1, even a friend. Just having a friend as a staff member is kind of a fopaux, because at the end of the day, it is favoritism. Here's my suggestion, pull a Kayaba Akihiko (aka heathcliff from SAO) and become a player. Although I'm sure that is not easy when you have so many things you must complete, and such a harsh group of people to please. :) god(typing)speed

Tay

Hi everyone,
With that being said, I would also like to bring up an issue that occurred recently with Amy recoloring a princess dress for a friend on their birthday.
we understand amy did that for jaki's birthday, but why did melodytimeywhimey get a custom skin color? was it her birthday too? or is it just a CL perk?

"With great power, comes great responsibility".

Here's a thought... would the President of the United States of America throw a party at the White House for one of his friends because it's their birthday and he wanted to do something nice for them? Would he use his power as President during this time or would he plan a birthday party/gift as a regular civilian?

Hmm..

Someone said that MyVMK is not VMK and I agree completely. People just need to wrap their heads around it. Nostalgia can only get us so far.

we understand amy did that for jaki's birthday, but why did melodytimeywhimey get a custom skin color? was it her birthday too? or is it just a CL perk?
Really? Okay, so issue number 1: No matter how much speculation there is regarding the Community Leaders, we will NOT reveal their identities, regardless of who you think they are. A majority that have guessed have been more incorrect than I can say. Issue number 2: Amy has done this on more then one occasion.. to multiple people. In fact, I recall an occasion where everyone in the kingdom was turned blue.. hmm.

-Snow

Amy

Head Administrator
I changed it randomly like I do sometimes for people I happen to be talking to at the time (usually it's names, but I just made it easy to change the way people look so I've been doing that a lot lately), I just forgot to change it back.

"With great power, comes great responsibility".

Here's a thought... would the President of the United States of America throw a party at the White House for one of his friends because it's their birthday and he wanted to do something nice for them? Would he use his power as President during this time or would he plan a birthday party/gift as a regular civilian?

Hmm..

Someone said that MyVMK is not VMK and I agree completely. People just need to wrap their heads around it. Nostalgia can only get us so far.

No he'd just go play golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.