Close MyVMK for 1 Month

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
There will always be something someone isn't happy about. And as people have stated before Beta is open as a tester to help improve the game, we find the bugs and such so that 1.0 will work properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But if there's only a little left to do to get things working, we've come to the point where closing it down for a short time could finish up what's left. Then we can begin the next phase of testing 1.0
OK I'm not sure if you understand, a beta version is "incomplete" and in the works it's meant for testing. When you go out of beta (unless they decide to call is gamma=>delta etc.) then it's supposed to be a "full-product" and any kinks that come up are supposed to be unexpected or because software changes (kind of like what mavericks did). A 1.0 is supposed to be a (in our case) whole game isn't meant for testing rather for full game play and rather than working on bugs it should be meant for working on items, decoration. Does that make sense? (Also I'm not trying to be snotty I'm genuinely trying to explain this.)

While I think it's smart to keep the game up to test for bugs I understand your desire to take it down & for Amy to finish 1.0. Have you also thought about how keeping the game up but Amy not working on it is the same thing just on one people are playing the game and on the other they aren't?
In the end it depends on Amy's plans for how 1.0 will go.
Thanks for reading^^

I understand what a beta period of game development is. I think we all know that this game is in beta since it's been reiterated a 100 times on this thread alone. The entire suggestion here is if people are going to persistently complain that this isn't done or that isn't done, then one avenue to put a few of these complaints to rest is to take some time to work solely on fixing certain things. Honestly there's nothing wrong with the suggestion from what I can see. From where I stand it could do more good than harm. I think you're over-analyzing it just a tad.

PastelRoses

[/QUOTE]

I understand what a beta period of game development is. I think we all know that this game is in beta since it's been reiterated a 100 times on this thread alone. The entire suggestion here is if people are going to persistently complain that this isn't done or that isn't done, then one avenue to put a few of these complaints to rest is to take some time to work solely on fixing certain things. Honestly there's nothing wrong with the suggestion from what I can see. From where I stand it could do more good than harm. I think you're over-analyzing it just a tad.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's wrong either, I'm just giving my opinion on why I don't think the idea is a great one.
Here's my retort on what you're saying:

Not everyone knows what a beta period of game development is.
Not only has it not been reiterated 100 times but not everyone reads everything in a thread.
While some complaints may stop (about it not being finished) if it's taken down then you're going to have more people complaining that it's down &...not finished. This also has a high possibility of causing more complaints if something is implemented, & has bugs in 1.0
You also do not specify whether or not you think the game should be up or down while Amy "[works] solely on fixing certain things."

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Yuna: I understand what a beta period of game development is. I think we all know that this game is in beta since it's been reiterated a 100 times on this thread alone. The entire suggestion here is if people are going to persistently complain that this isn't done or that isn't done, then one avenue to put a few of these complaints to rest is to take some time to work solely on fixing certain things. Honestly there's nothing wrong with the suggestion from what I can see. From where I stand it could do more good than harm. I think you're over-analyzing it just a tad.
I'm not saying it's wrong either, I'm just giving my opinion on why I don't think the idea is a great one.
Here's my retort on what you're saying:

Not everyone knows what a beta period of game development is.
Not only has it not been reiterated 100 times but not everyone reads everything in a thread.
While some complaints may stop (about it not being finished) if it's taken down then you're going to have more people complaining that it's down &...not finished. This also has a high possibility of causing more complaints if something is implemented, & has bugs in 1.0
You also do not specify whether or not you think the game should be up or down while Amy "[works] solely on fixing certain things."

I did say that I think we all know that the game is in beta, not that everyone understands what that means. It's been reiterated to this community time and time again that we're in beta, but not everyone here knows the details of what that means.

But I understand that not everyone will see this idea in a positive light for the community, we're all diverse. People are always going to complain, it's in our nature. But the key aspect of managing complaints is figuring out ways that you can subside as many as possible while making sure the outcome of your decision benefits the whole.

Also, I have specified many times over in this thread that I think the game should be down while Amy works on fixing certain things.

This is after all just a suggestion, Amy is free to do what she likes and there's a possibility this thread will just be lost to the archives and forgotten. But, thank you for your thoughts :hat:.

Sophia

Closing for a month is a terrible idea. If you're bored, you can leave for a month and come back. Or leave until we're out of beta. Why ruin it for all of us?

LisaMarie

I'm bored of MYVMK, but I don't think it should close for a month. Gotta take it day by day. I would like to see pirates or mansion soon though.

Drewby

WDW Annual Passholder
This thread is so hostile.
I don't think closing the game is really necessary. Amy isn't always preset in-game anyway. I think when Amy is online, she is working on the game with minor pop-ins to events or to visit guest rooms. It's not like Amy is the one hosting events or moderating the game for hours. The other staff members do the majority of the work when it comes to making sure the game is exciting (Hosts, etc), and keeping things in order (responding to help/moderating players). Shutting down the game would just benefit the Hosts from their duties of decorating rooms.
These are just my observations!

PastelRoses

Yuna,
That's precisely what I mean. There will be more complaining if the game is down.
GreatSophia,
I agree.
LisaMarie,
Very true can't just rush a decision (closing MYVMK) because everyone wants something.
Drewby,
Exactly, thank you.
Icon,
Please read what Drewby said (again if you already did).

It seems people want the game down either because 1, they're tired of the complaints, or 2, they want "progress" (I'm not picking on you Icon it was simply the best way to phrase it ;)
And again why I believe these complaints are baseless.
1: There will always be complaints, complaints that game isn't finished will become ...the game isn't finished, you closed the game, etc.
2: Everything that Drewby said with emphasis on the fact Amy isn't always present in game. Please also keep in mind everyone needs some downtime, so if she didn't have the game up & was spending it there she would be doing so in some other way she desired.

Also don't forget if Beta was down and Amy didn't have us as "testers" then the possibility of smooth, bug-free game-play in 1.0 will be less possible. It's also something most of you desire as you want the whole game & for things to be available. This could also cause Amy to have to take something down to fix if the bug was too much of a problem.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Yuna,
That's precisely what I mean. There will be more complaining if the game is down.
GreatSophia,
I agree.
LisaMarie,
Very true can't just rush a decision (closing MYVMK) because everyone wants something.
Drewby,
Exactly, thank you.
Icon,
Please read what Drewby said (again if you already did).

It seems people want the game down either because 1, they're tired of the complaints, or 2, they want "progress" (I'm not picking on you Icon it was simply the best way to phrase it ;)
And again why I believe these complaints are baseless.
1: There will always be complaints, complaints that game isn't finished will become ...the game isn't finished, you closed the game, etc.
2: Everything that Drewby said with emphasis on the fact Amy isn't always present in game. Please also keep in mind everyone needs some downtime, so if she didn't have the game up & was spending it there she would be doing so in some other way she desired.

Also don't forget if Beta was down and Amy didn't have us as "testers" then the possibility of smooth, bug-free game-play in 1.0 will be less possible. It's also something most of you desire as you want the whole game & for things to be available. This could also cause Amy to have to take something down to fix if the bug was too much of a problem.

But she'd still have the testing server and the official Beta testers would she not?

PastelRoses

Yes she would but that would cause more complaints and isn't that what your argument was? You stated that earlier. That will add to the complaints I already stated that will come out of closing the game. To be precise they will be complaining that they aren't on and others are, that others are getting "ahead" of them.

She would but will those testers be able to find all the bugs? We still have bugs now, doesn't seem like it would benefit smooth game-play. If the game-play isn't smooth there will be...more complaints.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Yes she would but that would cause more complaints and isn't that what your argument was? You stated that earlier. That will add to the complaints I already stated that will come out of closing the game. To be precise they will be complaining that they aren't on and others are, that others are getting "ahead" of them.

She would but will those testers be able to find all the bugs? We still have bugs now, doesn't seem like it would benefit smooth game-play. If the game-play isn't smooth there will be...more complaints.

Isn't that their purpose though? To find bugs? Others have complained about the testers for months because they aren't testers, but that program is still intact and fully functional and being utilized everyday is it not?

It's not just about alleviating complaints, there will always be complaints. It's about minimizing as many as possible with a better outcome for the whole. Know what I mean?

I think your forgetting that this is not a "normal game" where you would expect things to run more smoothly. This is something Amy has done for all of us that loved VMK. It's not like she is being paid to do any of this or we are paying any money to play the game. So I for one am happy just to be able to stroll the VMK streets again and relive some memories.

PastelRoses

Yuna,
Now you're saying testers cause more complaints. I do know what you're mean, I have been but what I've been saying is I believe there will be more complaints if they do close it for a month. I think closing it will cause more complaints rather than minimizing them as much as possible is that clear now. We've been going back on forth on the same thing except you believe closing the game will mean less complaints. You keep bringing up other arguments, which in my opinion benefit my argument rather than yours.
I think we should just agree to disagree and stop bringing up points.

Midien,
If you're speaking to me I never once said I am not happy, I'm actually quite happy with it. I enjoy spending time with the friends I've made and playing the games that are up now. All I'm saying is I disagree that taking VMK down for a month to push the progress of the mini games/1.0 will alleviate the amount of complaints coming in.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Yuna,
Now you're saying testers cause more complaints. I do know what you're mean, I have been but what I've been saying is I believe there will be more complaints if they do close it for a month. I think closing it will cause more complaints rather than minimizing them as much as possible is that clear now. We've been going back on forth on the same thing except you believe closing the game will mean less complaints. You keep bringing up other arguments, which in my opinion benefit my argument rather than yours.
I think we should just agree to disagree and stop bringing up points.

Midien,
If you're speaking to me I never once said I am not happy, I'm actually quite happy with it. I enjoy spending time with the friends I've made and playing the games that are up now. All I'm saying is I disagree that taking VMK down for a month to push the progress of the mini games/1.0 will alleviate the amount of complaints coming in.

Where in anything I've said did I say that testers are causing more complaints? I said there's been past complaints and arguments from non-testers about the purpose of official beta testers. I never said the testers themselves are causing complaints. I'm explaining their purpose - to find bugs, report them, and even find ways to fix them - and how shutting down the game for 1 month wouldn't stop the testers from doing their duty since it's on a separate server. Bugs can still be found and fixed with the official testers.

I'm honestly not entirely sure where you're going with anything at this point, we're pretty much going in circles. So I'm fine with agreeing to disagree since neither one of us are on the same page. But thank you for your thoughts :hat:

---------------------------

I think your forgetting that this is not a "normal game" where you would expect things to run more smoothly. This is something Amy has done for all of us that loved VMK. It's not like she is being paid to do any of this or we are paying any money to play the game. So I for one am happy just to be able to stroll the VMK streets again and relive some memories.
No one's saying anything against Amy, or that anyone is unhappy with the game or Amy herself. ICON just offered a suggestion on a way to progress with the development.

InaDaze

The Confused One.
This thread is so hostile.
I don't think closing the game is really necessary. Amy isn't always preset in-game anyway. I think when Amy is online, she is working on the game with minor pop-ins to events or to visit guest rooms. It's not like Amy is the one hosting events or moderating the game for hours. The other staff members do the majority of the work when it comes to making sure the game is exciting (Hosts, etc), and keeping things in order (responding to help/moderating players). Shutting down the game would just benefit the Hosts from their duties of decorating rooms.
These are just my observations!
Probably the post I agree with the most in this thread.

I don't get this thread at all. I've seen many threads asking for quests and all of sudden there's a light on the horizon for them and now they're proclaimed as small? I just don't quite understand this complete 180 now that it looks like something many have wanted looks like it will come out before the scheduled placement for it. Just baffles me, but I don't exactly remember who wanted what.

Everyone works at their own pace with all things and sometimes if it's a big project you work with it in bits and pieces while working on some of the smaller projects. I'd much rather see progress in the game as a whole with smaller things getting done while the bigger projects are worked on.

And stop saying you're not complaining by coming up with this idea... It technically is a complaint masked with a idea where you want to help the game. No I'm not trying to be rude here or disrespectful... Helpful complaints are better than any whining complaints and I would say you are trying to be helpful here. I just don't know if this idea would be the most helpful as only Amy knows what is most helpful to her while she works on the game.

Fiyero

Actually I've heard that the testing server has been down for quite a while at this point. I'm not sure if this is still true, but it's just what I've heard from others, specifically some in the testing group. But if Amy was to shut down the main game for a month, maybe she would bring back the testing server?

This is all hypothetical of course because I honestly don't think she has any intention of shutting anyone out

katiebcat

Actually I've heard that the testing server has been down for quite a while at this point. I'm not sure if this is still true, but it's just what I've heard from others, specifically some in the testing group. But if Amy was to shut down the main game for a month, maybe she would bring back the testing server?

This is all hypothetical of course because I honestly don't think she has any intention of shutting anyone out

she could open the testing server again, but that could keep interest

Fiyero

she could open the testing server again, but that could keep interest
In my opinion, there isn't really a need for the test server at the moment. Considering this is Beta, we should all be generally testing things at the same time, besides maybe small preliminary testing by Staff. That's not really needed until the game is fully released, when everyone isn't testing.

But I don't want to get the thread off track as it has had some decent discussion, so back to the main topic :)