College summer semester advice

Miss

I was wanting to see everyone's views on taking summer classes. I have always been a fall/spring only type of gal but signed up for classes this summer semester. Since the semester is shorter and very fast pace, does anyone have a recommendation as to how many classes will be too much? I have signed up for 3 because I'm trying to get the heck out of here and this will for sure let me graduate in hopefully December, but I don't want to completely mess up my GPA by not being able to handle it. There is always the withdraw period I have, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice before the semester starts Monday.

kiddy

im taking 4 classes for summer(Micro Economics, Accounting, Humanities 2, Argument and Persuasion) and they are express session, its def a paper and test due at least once a week but its totally doable if you stay focused. Accounting is the only one I struggle with, but that's cause accounting is impossible @Gallifreyan is my tutor

Last edited:
I can see someone pulling off taking more than three courses from their freshman to junior year. Senior year, especially the nonelective technical core courses though? If you're in your last year, I recommend taking only two over the summer especially if they're hard classes. For example, I'm a senior accounting major and decided to take only two upperdivision courses because it's less stressful/more manageable to earn A/B (thus keeping up my GPA - very competitive especially in my field, most firms won't even look at your resume unless you have a 3.0 or above. Trying to graduate with honors again and at a 3.5.) than having to take an additional similar/possibly likely more difficult course i.e. Federal Taxation. Speaking to a trusted academic advisor, professors, and peers helped me make the right decision.

It's really up to you, but personally if you honestly don't need to graduate soon or graduating is delayed by only like one semester, then the latter most likely will leave you a lot less stressed with more time to manage a life/school balance and really get the most out of learning from your courses. The thing I like about taking courses over the summer is that professors (based on my experience) cut down on the amount of chapters and eliminate group projects/papers they'd usually assign during other semesters :p

That's my position on taking summer courses. In the end, do what you think you can manage. If you think you can do well in taking a certain amount of courses as well as you wish to, then do so ^-^ If not, kind of better to play it safe and not take on too many hard courses at a time - increasing the potential risk of failing and having to take the course again, have your GPA negatively affected, and dealing with the pained expense of paying to take the course again.

Anyway, good luck :)

Myth

I'm taking one summer online class, which is easy, but the problem is summer tuition for me is nearly twice as much per class. And for out of state tuition, it can add up seriously to be way too much. It depends on your lifestyle and how much time you have on your hands though. Nobody can make the decision for you. I wouldn't take more than 3 though

MoitaRose

Bearded Dragon, Dog, & Beta Lover <3
It could go either way. It really depends on what the classes are like Aka said. I'm an A/B student and struggled with only 2 one summer because they were Calculus 3 and French, which I was learning for the first time. These classes had assignments due multiple times a week and exams every couple of weeks, so it was a lot of material to keep track of and get done. In the end, it will really come down to what you're taking and your confidence/feelings about how successful each class will be for you.

Gallifreyan

The Slightly More Chosen One
I'm doing the summer semester for the first time too because I took last semester off and I need to catch up. I'm taking 4 classes but two of them are online and tbh they are easy A classes. I haven't started my two hard ones so idk we'll see how that goes! But I agree it's def depends on what classes you're taking and how much you can personally handle. You're basically learning a semester's worth of stuff in a couple of weeks so it is a lot more work.

When I was going for my associates every summer I took 4 classes. Most of those classes however were an easy A and I couldn't ever think about doing a harder course (I.E. Math) over the summer, so as everyone has said above. I think three is a great number, just make sure those three classes you're signing up for aren't too difficult and you know without a shadow of a doubt you can make a good grade in them. If you think you might have troubles down the lines, or struggles then I would drop them. I feel taking your time is better than rushing and maybe making a mistake. (By mistake I mean messing up your GPA)

Erin

I've taken online summer classes and they are easy peezy. I'm actually in Spain rn taking 2 classes and they are a++. I'd say dont load up really because the classes are fast paced and you don't need to be overwhelmed.

I took one for language credit; I made sure I had the needed school supplies: text book, handed note sheet, notebooks, paper, pen/pencil. I commuted to the college I went to, to save money.
I like summer courses. It is a great way to get started with a good semester.

It really depends on if you're close to your campus. I took a single online summer class and hated it. It was hard to get everything done.