exact same information as on myVMK, then so be it. I just feel like
this is a probable reason as to why the forums are not as active
as i'd like them to be.

PS. I haven't been on that long so I'm kind of shooting in the
dark, please let me know how I could better my experience, if you
have an opposing opinion.​

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
You are completely right, but the mods/admins won't do anything about it, so don't bother posting about it.

philitup

The Internet Champion!
I agree. They need a forum skin before they do anything else, and they made a whole thread for people's ideas for skins, but that was a couple of months ago, and the forums still look ugly.

The Twitter feed module is pretty quick for information regarding in-game events and releases I think. Perhaps the forum appears rather bland aesthetically. Personally the minimalistic aesthetic is fine since it's functional, but I get that a new skin would be nice and if and when a major change or event other than the usual happens it's posted as staff do let us know on the homepage. Probably because there has been no major news threads lately or it's usually on the MyVMK homepage it seems there has been no following on the game because it's elsewhere or no new developments are in work worth discussing seriously yet, but I think staff still let us know some way somehow. Pretty sure they have already been considering skins to make the forum more attractive. As for the format, I think there is only so much a forum can do unless staff wants to go all fancy with real time/up-to-date modules on the homepage that are like Windows tiles. Shows major forums in their own seperate module like a slideshow of the three or so most recent posts by most recent posters in most recent threads, then links to the rest of that particular forum. Someone, I can even think of a pretty cool design in my head, but I mean if the forum's not broke why try fix it? Although it isn't necessary, it is something to think about when attracting new players to join/participate in the forum like targeting certain consumers young, hip, etc. Sometimes how something's done - execution makes all the difference. So yes I do agree more or less, design aesthetic and the forum homepage's enhanced focus on the game is important. It probably just seems it's been awhile since there's been a major game update on the homepage at least. Think that staff don't want to clutter the forum homepage with in-game information threads unless necessary :)

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
The Twitter feed module is pretty quick for information regarding in-game events and releases I think. Perhaps the forum appears rather bland aesthetically. Personally the minimalistic aesthetic is fine since it's functional, but I get that a new skin would be nice and if and when a major change or event other than the usual happens it's posted as staff do let us know on the homepage. Probably because there has been no major news threads lately or it's usually on the MyVMK homepage it seems there has been no following on the game because it's elsewhere or no new developments are in work worth discussing seriously yet, but I think staff still let us know some way somehow. Pretty sure they have already been considering skins to make the forum more attractive. As for the format, I think there is only so much a forum can do unless staff wants to go all fancy with real time/up-to-date modules on the homepage that are like Windows tiles. Shows major forums in their own seperate module like a slideshow of the three or so most recent posts by most recent posters in most recent threads, then links to the rest of that particular forum. Someone, I can even think of a pretty cool design in my head, but I mean if the forum's not broke why try fix it? Although it isn't necessary, it is something to think about when attracting new players to join/participate in the forum like targeting certain consumers young, hip, etc. Sometimes how something's done - execution makes all the difference. So yes I do agree more or less, design aesthetic and the forum homepage's enhanced focus on the game is important. It probably just seems it's been awhile since there's been a major game update on the homepage at least. Think that staff don't want to clutter the forum homepage with in-game information threads unless necessary :)
Nothing is going to change. They have made multiple promises saying that they will install a new theme, etc. and it never happens. Months pass by and not a single thing has changed. I, myself, have no idea what's going on half the time because the staff hardly announce anything on the forum, and the homepage is only updated a couple times each month. (most of the time the homepage is barely edited at all)

I wouldn't trust people who can't keep promises they make. Especially when they fail to execute something that was suppose to occur ages ago.

Nothing is going to change. They have made multiple promises saying that they will install a new theme, etc. and it never happens. Months pass by and not a single thing has changed. I, myself, have no idea what's going on half the time because the staff hardly announce anything on the forum, and the homepage is only updated a couple times each month. (most of the time the homepage is barely edited at all)

I wouldn't trust people who can't keep promises they make. Especially when they fail to execute something that was suppose to occur ages ago.
Look, we can't just pull time out of thin air. Stuff gets worked on, but unless the need for a fix is 100% needed, there's no point in rolling something half finished out now. (Yes, I'm adding that clause in because I know you guys will say the shoutbox...) Why mirror the game announcements when they're on the game's homepage, though?

Past that, let's be honest here. I have 2 jobs now and work every single day. I really do wish that I could spend all my time without any regret on the forums, but the reality is I just can't. I do work on a new theme once in a while when I can, but it's just not going to happen instantly. Every staff member, whether it be game or forum staff, has a life they need to put ahead of the game. To make things worse on me now, due to... silly circumstances I no longer have a computer to even work on things like this anymore. Believe me, I want the Forums to be awesome and perfect, but it's just not going to materialize into existence sadly :(. But does that make the staff team liars? We never said a specific date when stuff like the new theme would come out, the original staff member that was doing it had a lot of stuff come up.

Fiyero

Look, we can't just pull time out of thin air. Stuff gets worked on, but unless the need for a fix is 100% needed, there's no point in rolling something half finished out now. (Yes, I'm adding that clause in because I know you guys will say the shoutbox...) Why mirror the game announcements when they're on the game's homepage, though?

Past that, let's be honest here. I have 2 jobs now and work every single day. I really do wish that I could spend all my time without any regret on the forums, but the reality is I just can't. I do work on a new theme once in a while when I can, but it's just not going to happen instantly. Every staff member, whether it be game or forum staff, has a life they need to put ahead of the game. To make things worse on me now, due to... silly circumstances I no longer have a computer to even work on things like this anymore. Believe me, I want the Forums to be awesome and perfect, but it's just not going to materialize into existence sadly :(. But does that make the staff team liars? We never said a specific date when stuff like the new theme would come out, the original staff member that was doing it had a lot of stuff come up.
If it's getting to this Eliz, it sounds like it's time to hire another Staff Member who can work on the same things you can, such as building a forum skin and other programs. Why I mean no offense to the other staff members on the forums, it's obvious they can't really help much with the backend of the site. I understand that the Staff have a life outside of the forums, but at the same time, this position is a large committment. You can't just really take on the job of a forum administrator/moderator and do a halfway job at it. Forums and websites require time and effort to be made great. Like I said, no offense to any of the Staff as I'm sure they put in the time they can, but it sounds to me like it may be time to bring in some more help (preferably someone who has a lot of experience with forums/skinning and the ability to help you with backend projects like the shoutbox).

I agree. They need a forum skin before they do anything else, and they made a whole thread for people's ideas for skins, but that was a couple of months ago, and the forums still look ugly.
It is true... I was wondering what happened to that the other day.

It is not like the forums look ugly, I mean I love the colors, but I feel like they look very basic. Like barely anyone has touched them yet. I feel that at least a similarity in colors when you go between them would be nice.

I think what Gandalf suggested even hiring a new staff member, if their purpose was site and forums design only would be ideal. The community here is great by always wanting to help and I'm sure someone would pick up the slack if only on a temp basis.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa

Never said you were liars.

If you can't manage the forum because of whatever, then hire new staff. And of course, we all have a life outside of MyVMK. If you want a successful game then you need to be willing to put all of your time, effort, and dedication into it. You're only repeating what staff have said in the past. "We have a life, and we can't pull it out of thin air." I heard that in the beginning of the year, more than 7 months ago, and look, nothing has changed except a color scheme. If you can't be serious about what you're doing, even if it's as simple as implementing a theme, then resign. I have never seen a more delayed project in my life. Don't feel I'm personally attacking you; if you have problems occurring irl, then stop trying to focus on an online game and set your attention on those private things. If you can't handle two things at once, you have to let the other one go for a bit until things have settled and you can come back ready for business. I know it isn't as easy as people think, because I have owned multiple private servers in the past. Honestly, it's not okay to keep postponing a project when it could have been done a long time ago by simply hiring a couple new staff members.

As I said before, nothing is going to be changed for a while, if ever. Simple changes that only take a matter of minutes to fix haven't even been looked at yet probably. If you need help, get people to help you. Easy as that.

Sophia

If you can't manage the forum because of whatever, then hire new staff. And of course, we all have a life outside of MyVMK. If you want a successful game then you need to be willing to put all of your time, effort, and dedication into it. You're only repeating what staff have said in the past. "We have a life, and we can't pull it out of thin air." I heard that in the beginning of the year, more than 7 months ago, and look, nothing has changed except a color scheme. If you can't be serious about what you're doing, even if it's as simple as implementing a theme, then resign. I have never seen a more delayed project in my life. Don't feel I'm personally attacking you; if you have problems occurring irl, then stop trying to focus on an online game and set your attention on those private things. If you can't handle two things at once, you have to let the other one go for a bit until things have settled and you can come back ready for business. I know it isn't as easy as people think, because I have owned multiple private servers in the past. Honestly, it's not okay to keep postponing a project when it could have been done a long time ago by simply hiring a couple new staff members.

As I said before, nothing is going to be changed for a while, if ever. Simple changes that only take a matter of minutes to fix haven't even been looked at yet probably. If you need help, get people to help you. Easy as that.
I agree with everything you said, especially what you mentioned about putting time in even if we all have lives outside the game. I mean, if they don't have the time or a computer to do this then they should just hire someone else! :/

I agree that if you cannot uphold your responsibilities, perhaps it is time to find someone else who can. Keeping a title as administrator on here and not exactly fulfilling your duties is unreasonable in my opinion. Everyone goes through tough times in their lives. It is how you deal with it that makes you a better human being. Think about the bigger picture, think about everyone else.

A theme is like, the absolute bare minimum of anything we need to do....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
From a professional standpoint, this comment infuriates me. You cannot reject a post on the forum feedback by saying that the feedback is the least of your concern. You take the feedback and you acknowledge it. No need to make up an excuse as to why it's not being done. Management etiquette is needed here.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
A theme is like, the absolute bare minimum of anything we need to do....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
To be perfectly honest, plenty of members have submitted personal applications and requests offering their expertise and services as graphic designers to the staff team. Countless people have submitted designs for various aspects of these sites, and I'm sure at least 1 (or more) of them is willing to give their time to share some of the burden of these responsibilities so things like the forum skins, logo, homepage layout, information updates, etc; can be implememted, updated, and changed accordingly.

It can't be that hard to higher a graphic designer willing to put in the legwork and time to improving the quality aesthetically of the forums where others (like yourself) can't, when it seems we have quite a large crop of talented members available.

And while I mean no offense or disrespect, because things out of our control do happen, perhaps you should step down or take a break from your duties as an admin being that you don't have as much time to devote to them and you have lost your access to an actual computer (which I presume to be kind of important when you're in a position that caters to the needs of a comouter based game/forum). And instead for the time being hire a new staff member that has the available time and is willing to put in the effort to design the aspects of the forum/homepage the community has been waiting for, among whatever other duties need to be carried out -- that is at the discretion of the staff team themselves.

No one forces any of the staff to make the comittment to these positions, and it's the responsibility of the staff to take approproate action if there comes a time when they are no longer available or have the means/resources to carry out and perform their roles and duties they willingly applied for and agreed to take on. In that event, it's then the responsibility of the other staff to find a replacement member with the sufficient time available to commit to the game and this community.

Again, I mean no offense, it's just facts.

Whispered

From a professional standpoint, this comment infuriates me. You cannot reject a post on the forum feedback by saying that the feedback is the least of your concern. You take the feedback and you acknowledge it. No need to make up an excuse as to why it's not being done. Management etiquette is needed here.
Eliz is saying that it is the least of staff's priorities. They are acknowledging the feedback - just not saying "ok we're going to drop everything for you".

Eliz is saying that it is the least of staff's priorities. They are acknowledging the feedback - just not saying "ok we're going to drop everything for you".
Right, because acknowledging a feedback (as in actually taking it into consideration) means posting an excuse as to why they haven't taken action on the feedback....

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
*pours calm tea* Everybody take a sip. :hug: Please guys...for the sake of this thread not being closed, can we all remember to stay calm, civil, and respectful? I'm sure the staff are doing everything they can to brighten up the forums and make it more aesthetically pleasing. However, we're all human and you'd be surprised at the amount of things that can pile up on the plate of life. Yes it's been a long while since the initial 'we're working on it" and yes there's many talented artists on here, however, there's only so much you can do. They're working on it I'm sure.

Also, welcome lito!! :halcyon:

Last edited:

Dempsey

who want lasanga?!
If it's getting to this Eliz, it sounds like it's time to hire another Staff Member who can work on the same things you can, such as building a forum skin and other programs. Why I mean no offense to the other staff members on the forums, it's obvious they can't really help much with the backend of the site. I understand that the Staff have a life outside of the forums, but at the same time, this position is a large committment. You can't just really take on the job of a forum administrator/moderator and do a halfway job at it. Forums and websites require time and effort to be made great. Like I said, no offense to any of the Staff as I'm sure they put in the time they can, but it sounds to me like it may be time to bring in some more help (preferably someone who has a lot of experience with forums/skinning and the ability to help you with backend projects like the shoutbox).

It is not like the forums look ugly, I mean I love the colors, but I feel like they look very basic. Like barely anyone has touched them yet. I feel that at least a similarity in colors when you go between them would be nice.

I think what Gandalf suggested even hiring a new staff member, if their purpose was site and forums design only would be ideal. The community here is great by always wanting to help and I'm sure someone would pick up the slack if only on a temp basis.

I agree that if you cannot uphold your responsibilities, perhaps it is time to find someone else who can. Keeping a title as administrator on here and not exactly fulfilling your duties is unreasonable in my opinion. Everyone goes through tough times in their lives. It is how you deal with it that makes you a better human being. Think about the bigger picture, think about everyone else.

agree agree a million times agree. if a few people cannot handle the job, just hire more! simple as that. i am sure there are people who would love to work on a new design and be more than willing to share ideas they have been working on. also, what DID happen to that thread about making a new theme? it was there for a reason :o

First of all, just hiring everyone because they might be able to help is definitely not a viable solution here. I have plenty of graphics prepared but I cannot add anything without administrator permissions.

If anyone knows how to make a professional, functional vBulletin skin and is willing to work with us, send me a PM. Or if you have ideas, post them. Being snarky is not going to speed up the process.

philitup

The Internet Champion!

I agree with the new staff member idea. We had graphics people on OVMK and they took care of everything. I know we have Tink, but she does more in-game stuff than anything.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
First of all, just hiring everyone because they might be able to help is definitely not a viable solution here. I have plenty of graphics prepared but I cannot add anything without administrator permissions.

If anyone knows how to make a professional, functional vBulletin skin and is willing to work with us, send me a PM. Or if you have ideas, post them. Being snarky is not going to speed up the process.
The viable option is to hold applications for graphic designers right? No one's saying hire just anyone that claims to know graphics, they're saying hire someone with the time to work on these things.

Hold applications like you guys did for forum mods and in-game Hosts. Have them show examples of their work and explain the various details necessary for an experienced graphics designer's position. Don't hire just anyone, hire the appropriate people.

Last edited: