Continuity Through Main Page and Forum

Fiyero

The viable option is to hold applications for graphic designers right? No one's saying hire just amyone that claims to knpw graphics, they're saying hire someone with the time to work on these things.

Hold applications like you guys did for forum mods and in-game Hosts. Have them show examples of their work and explain the variois details necessary for an experienced graphics designer's position. Don't hire just anyone, hire the appropriate people.
It's more than just designing graphics though. They need people fluent in CSS and HTML and familiar with the vBulletin template system. While graphics are important, I feel as those positions could be more "contract" type work if you will. Get a good pool together, and use them when needed.

I sent a PM to Silhouette offering my assistance in making one, and I'm sure some others will as well. It's all up to the Administrators from here :) Hopefully, we will have a good looking skin coming soon

EDIT: And as Silhouette said, it's not really a need for Graphic Designers at the moment. She has plenty prepared. It's just the need for someone who can make them into a sharp, professional looking skin for the forums

Last edited:

MarinaAnchor

Frying pans, who knew?
The main thing I would like to see on the forums is maybe a section where it shows new items that have been released on the homepage?

9 times out of 10 I have no clue what is being released...

The MyVMK homepage is often delayed in posting things it seems.

Nonetheless, Silhouette seems to have clarified it for everyone. :D

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
It's more than just designing graphics though. They need people fluent in CSS and HTML and familiar with the vBulletin template system. While graphics are important, I feel as those positions could be more "contract" type work if you will. Get a good pool together, and use them when needed.

I sent a PM to Silhouette offering my assistance in making one, and I'm sure some others will as well. It's all up to the Administrators from here :) Hopefully, we will have a good looking skin coming soon

EDIT: And as Silhouette said, it's not really a need for Graphic Designers at the moment. She has plenty prepared. It's just the need for someone who can make them into a sharp, professional looking skin for the forums
Well whatever is necessary to get things moving. If it's more of a contracting sort of position then contract some people that know what they're doing to help build these things. I know it's not just graphics, that's why you hire the appropriate people for the job that know all there is needed for that position.

People have offered their services so see what can be done to utilize their skills if they're what you're looking for. That way that part of the burden is being shared with someone better suited for it.

Jasmine

Another reason I think there hasn't been one is the fact that there aren't many people who are just going to volunteer to skin vBulletin for free, especially if they don't know if their skin will actually be used. And then another thing is, how likely are they going to give someone ACP access, even if it's only to the style options? So these skinners would also need to have consistent access to a vB3 ACP. (And personally, I find skinning in vB3 tedious compared to vB4.)

From what I'm getting - the graphics for the skin are done, just no one actually knows how to skin?

Personally, I don't mind the Cyan skin. I kinda like it. However, I can definitely see where Goddess is coming from.

Whispered

Right, because acknowledging a feedback (as in actually taking it into consideration) means posting an excuse as to why they haven't taken action on the feedback....
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acknowledge?s=t

1. to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of: to acknowledge one's mistakes.
2. to show or express recognition or realization of: to acknowledge an acquaintance by nodding.
3. to recognize the authority, validity, or claims of: The students acknowledged the authority of the student council.
4. to show or express appreciation or gratitude for: to acknowledge a favor.
5. to indicate or make known the receipt of: to acknowledge a letter.
By responding, Eliz (and other staff) have admitted it to be a real complaint/feedback. They have recognized the existence, and that it is a true complaint/feedback. They have expressed realization of it by responding and reading it. They have recognized the validity of the complaint/feedback (by not saying "oh it's stupid and a lie" or similar), and they have made known that they have taken it into account.

Just because they don't drop everything to fix your little petty problem right this instant does not mean they have not acknowledged your feedback and taken it into account. Furthermore, when excuses are needed, they should be given. You seem to not be content with an explanation as to why it's not being done, even though it's a perfectly good explanation (not having enough time, not having enough people, etc.). Sure, something may be able to work better either now or in the future, but acting the way you and others are by trying to find every way possible to demean and belittle and anger the staff will get you nowhere.

By responding, Eliz (and other staff) have admitted it to be a real complaint/feedback. They have recognized the existence, and that it is a true complaint/feedback. They have expressed realization of it by responding and reading it. They have recognized the validity of the complaint/feedback (by not saying "oh it's stupid and a lie" or similar), and they have made known that they have taken it into account.

Just because they don't drop everything to fix your little petty problem right this instant does not mean they have not acknowledged your feedback and taken it into account. Furthermore, when excuses are needed, they should be given. You seem to not be content with an explanation as to why it's not being done, even though it's a perfectly good explanation (not having enough time, not having enough people, etc.). Sure, something may be able to work better either now or in the future, but acting the way you and others are by trying to find every way possible to demean and belittle and anger the staff will get you nowhere.

This made me laugh a lot! Oh the hypocrisy....

Bravo, bravo.

Kaeliah

Previously Tessa
First of all, just hiring everyone because they might be able to help is definitely not a viable solution here. I have plenty of graphics prepared but I cannot add anything without administrator permissions.

If anyone knows how to make a professional, functional vBulletin skin and is willing to work with us, send me a PM. Or if you have ideas, post them. Being snarky is not going to speed up the process.
You're twisting my words. Why would you "hire everyone"? Obviously that defeats the purpose. No one is being snarky. I hope you're able to take criticism.

Also: Ask one of the administrators to help you -- work with them instead of just standing around and doing nothing.

You're acting like every single feedback thread is striking out to denigrate staff. If staff will not accept any feedback the players give them, whether it is harsh or not, then the game will not get anywhere. Sometimes you need a hard push into the right direction. At times, tough criticism is needed -- and at this point, MyVMK needs it. Otherwise, players will only work against the game, not for it.

If there is little to no overall progression, then why should the players believe that the game will flourish? Why should we bother offering feedback when it is almost guaranteed changes will not happen in a long time, if at all?

People won't stand up for MyVMK until the staff can prove that they are capable of managing such responsibilities.

little side note: I know the staff work hard for the game itself. but really, the only things that they say are "hard" is adding new items to the catalog and overseeing HOST events. I know what it's like to be bombarded by hundreds of players. it's harsh business to deal with. just hear me out.

Last edited:

Whispered

You're acting like every single feedback thread is striking out to denigrate staff. If staff will not accept any feedback the players give them, whether it is harsh or not, then the game will not get anywhere. Sometimes you need a hard push into the right direction. At times, tough criticism is needed -- and at this point, MyVMK needs it. Otherwise, players will only work against the game, not for it.

If there is little to no overall progression, then why should the players believe that the game will flourish? Why should we bother offering feedback when it is almost guaranteed changes will not happen in a long time, if at all?

People won't stand up for MyVMK until the staff can prove that they are capable of managing such responsibilities.

little side note: I know the staff work hard for the game itself. but really, the only things that they say are "hard" is adding new items to the catalog and overseeing HOST events. I know what it's like to be bombarded by hundreds of players. it's harsh business to deal with. just hear me out.
-I wasn't talking about all threads, or even this thread - just some of the posts/posters in this and other threads. Most threads, if not all, start out as constructive feedback, before someone comes in and starts a witch hunt for the staff by making baseless, false comments and/or being rude to the staff who haven't even responded yet.

I was just trying to point out that his claims that the staff weren't acknowledging the feedback are false. Staff have acknowledged the feedback multiple times, and they've said that they're trying, but they just don't have the manpower to do it. Frankly, with all the feedback they get, this is a low priority. Would you rather have the game functioning and working, with new items/themes, and a working shoutbox, or a pretty forum?

The qualities that would be needed in someone who'd make the skin are pretty complex, they not only need to be able to design/modify the graphics, but be able to code the skin itself in the way vB3 needs it. It's not something that's as easy as you guys think. It'd take hours and hours of time to get it done.

Seriously, people here need to stop acting like they're entitled to having things just because they can rally 10 or less people for wanting it. Either appreciate that you have a forums and provide feedback in a nice way (i.e. without ranting about how the staff aren't "acknowledging" your feedback when in fact they just aren't putting you at the center of the universe), or stop.

(that last paragraph isn't to the quoted person, but those to whom it applies should know who they are)

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you always one of the first people to jump all over staff when they offer excuses as to why they haven't done something or why something won't get done, or any excuse at all? Being snippy and snarky with the people on this thread for something you do yourself all the time is hypocritical. It would be appreciated if you didn't turn this in to a hate fest by turning every comment in to something negative. Just saying.

-I wasn't talking about all threads, or even this thread - just some of the posts/posters in this and other threads. Most threads, if not all, start out as constructive feedback, before someone comes in and starts a witch hunt for the staff by making baseless, false comments and/or being rude to the staff who haven't even responded yet.

I was just trying to point out that his claims that the staff weren't acknowledging the feedback are false. Staff have acknowledged the feedback multiple times, and they've said that they're trying, but they just don't have the manpower to do it. Frankly, with all the feedback they get, this is a low priority. Would you rather have the game functioning and working, with new items/themes, and a working shoutbox, or a pretty forum?

The qualities that would be needed in someone who'd make the skin are pretty complex, they not only need to be able to design/modify the graphics, but be able to code the skin itself in the way vB3 needs it. It's not something that's as easy as you guys think. It'd take hours and hours of time to get it done.

Seriously, people here need to stop acting like they're entitled to having things just because they can rally 10 or less people for wanting it. Either appreciate that you have a forums and provide feedback in a nice way (i.e. without ranting about how the staff aren't "acknowledging" your feedback when in fact they just aren't putting you at the center of the universe), or stop.

(that last paragraph isn't to the quoted person, but those to whom it applies should know who they are)

1) let's keep the actual game and forums separate. Therefore your argument about game functioning and themes are void. And yes to be honest, it would be nice to see a better forums layout than a new shout box. More people use the forums in general than the shout box itself.

2) Again, if one is responding to feedback with an excuse, in my books that is not acknowledging the problem. Acknowledging a feedback sort of looks like this: "We understand what you are expressing and will look into your feedback with the rest of the team". Not "I'm busy, too much work, not high in our priority, end of conversation". The basics of customer service!

Seriously, people here need to start acting consistently with their behaviours. It's confusing to see people who have strong negative opinions about staff in one thread and then go to pro-staff, love staff, in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Oh because you asked soooo nicely.

1) let's keep the actual game and forums separate. Therefore your argument about game functioning and themes are void. And yes to be honest, it would be nice to see a better forums layout than a new shout box. More people use the forums in general than the shout box itself.

2) Again, if one is responding to feedback with an excuse, in my books that is not acknowledging the problem. Acknowledging a feedback sort of looks like this: "We understand what you are expressing and will look into your feedback with the rest of the team". Not "I'm busy, too much work, not high in our priority, end of conversation". The basics of customer service!

Seriously, people here need to start acting consistently with their behaviours. It's confusing to see people who have strong negative opinions about staff in one thread and then go to pro-staff, love staff, in another thread.

I was under the impression the forum staff, and game staff -- with the exception of admins/hosts that have jurisdiction inter-game-forum wise -- were separate, and therefore the responsibilities of forum staff members were separate from the responsibilities of the in-game staff members.

So if that is correct, new themes/releases in-game shouldn't effect or hinder in any way the progress of the forums because they're separate.

On another note, it's been my experience that when you offer assistance to someone that is offering an excuse as to why something can't done, and yet no matter what feasible solution is throw at them, still maintain consistent excuses, then it's evident they don't actually want to progress or fix the problem they just want to leave it for when they feel like it.

I'm not saying this is the case with the staff, I'm responding to the point previously made by a regular member on this thread that when excuses are the answer to a question or feedback that that is all there is to it. Progress doesn't grow from excuses, it grows from action. It's just truth.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you always one of the first people to jump all over staff when they offer excuses as to why they haven't done something or why something won't get done, or any excuse at all? Being snippy and snarky with the people on this thread for something you do yourself all the time is hypocritical. It would be appreciated if you didn't turn this in to a hate fest by turning every comment in to something negative. Just saying.
I hate to say that I agree with this. :( I think it's not fair for you to try and lecture people on a habit you carry yourself. Reading this thread makes me question why are you yelling at people for "going against staff" when they aren't actually going against staff. Plus, I feel you're almost always purposely stirring trouble to humiliate the staff. /:

It's really so unfortunate to see this new member's thread thrown into a completely different field..I hope we all can move forward from here. Hugs. :hug:

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
I hate to say that I agree with this. :( I think it's not fair for you to try and lecture people on a habit you carry yourself. Reading this thread makes me question why are you yelling at people for "going against staff" when they aren't actually going against staff. Plus, I feel you're almost always purposely stirring trouble to humiliate the staff. /:

It's really so unfortunate to see this new member's thread thrown into a completely different field..I hope we all can move forward from here. Hugs. :hug:
Honestly I'm not trying to start a flame war, I just find it insulting and quite frankly rude and hypocritical for someone that's known for doing exactly what they're lecturing/accusing others of doing. It's not fair to the members of this thread and I find it disrespectful is all.

And I completely agree. No one is on a witch hunt for staff here, and I think to over-dramatize how you are perceiving things to have been said is derailing this thread, because in reality that's not actually the case.

MissCutieG

not a junior member
I cannot stand most of the comments on this thread.

"Just hire someone new!"

can we please be realistic here for one second?

they can't just hire someone new. I'm in management right now and even if this isn't some billion dollar corporation, it's a "company" so to speak. it would take time, energy, and possibly even money to hire someone trustworthy and knowledgable for the forums and game. time, money and energy that they may not have at the moment.

- "You shouldn't be an admin if you cannot devote all of your time to it"
They're not getting paid. it's experience. it probably looks good on a resume. this is also called networking, ladies and gentlemen.

This game is all free for you to play, thanks to the men and women that have helped make this a possibility for you little turds.

-"They're just posting excuses"
No, they're answering your questions and addressing your concerns as to why something (such as the site layout) hasn't been updated in a little while. this answer is immature

am i the only one who understands this? you're not ENTITLED to this game. ITS FREE. IT'S IN THE WORKS. GET YOUR SNARKY LITTLE BUTTS OVER IT.

/rant over

this is only to a select few, not to everyone. you're not all snarky turds. :eee: <3

Last edited:

kalyee

I cannot stand most of the comments on this thread.

"Just hire someone new!"

can we please be realistic here for one second?

they can't just hire someone new. I'm in management right now and even if this isn't some billion dollar corporation, it's a "company" so to speak. it would take time, energy, and possibly even money to hire someone trustworthy and knowledgable for the forums and game. time, money and energy that they may not have at the moment.

This game is all free for you to play, thanks to the men and women that have helped make this a possibility for you little turds.

am i the only one who understands this? you're not ENTITLED to this game. ITS FREE. IT'S IN THE WORKS. GET YOUR SNARKY LITTLE BUTTS OVER IT.

/rant over

this is only to a select few, not to everyone. you're not all snarky turds. :eee: <3
Just reading over this thread, the first thing in my mind was, "Does no one understand the hiring process?"
Even if it's just gaining access to controls specifically related to design, that's a huge amount of trust to put in someone without going through lots of qualified candidates to make sure you not only have a good fit for the skilled aspects, but to be sure you won't have someone messing around or posting up explicit images without consent.

And like, yeah, it's a free game, hold your horses. I get it, just because it's free doesn't mean nothing should get done, but it isn't like they're doing nothing. These people don't have to do this, as it's been stated, they do have lives outside of this, and they're entitled to have both. I don't know a lot of people who can dedicate 100% of their time and energy to something that doesn't pay - like a forum for an online game. Some can, but it's few and far between because, as I said, most people have lives.
It'd be nice to eventually see the forum look a little more snazzy, but that's not even in my mind when I'm browsing. It's just a forum, the look doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the content, and I'm just grateful people are taking their time to do this without a cent in return - and often times, without any gratitude.

If it was a huge thing, like the game or forum consistently crashing, or being hacked, or misused, whatever, I'd put a little more importance into it, but it's just not as pressing as a lot of other things that could use to be implemented. And even still, it is up to none of us what is of most importance on the staffs list. If you don't like how the forum is, you can always start your own forum and implement the features you'd like to see.

Just reading over this thread, the first thing in my mind was, "Does no one understand the hiring process?"
Even if it's just gaining access to controls specifically related to design, that's a huge amount of trust to put in someone without going through lots of qualified candidates to make sure you not only have a good fit for the skilled aspects, but to be sure you won't have someone messing around or posting up explicit images without consent.

And like, yeah, it's a free game, hold your horses. I get it, just because it's free doesn't mean nothing should get done, but it isn't like they're doing nothing. These people don't have to do this, as it's been stated, they do have lives outside of this, and they're entitled to have both. I don't know a lot of people who can dedicate 100% of their time and energy to something that doesn't pay - like a forum for an online game. Some can, but it's few and far between because, as I said, most people have lives.
It'd be nice to eventually see the forum look a little more snazzy, but that's not even in my mind when I'm browsing. It's just a forum, the look doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the content, and I'm just grateful people are taking their time to do this without a cent in return - and often times, without any gratitude.

If it was a huge thing, like the game or forum consistently crashing, or being hacked, or misused, whatever, I'd put a little more importance into it, but it's just not as pressing as a lot of other things that could use to be implemented. And even still, it is up to none of us what is of most importance on the staffs list. If you don't like how the forum is, you can always start your own forum and implement the features you'd like to see.
This times 10000000000%. You guys don't seem to realize the theme access is by far the most dangerous access. Why? Because a theme "designer" could just decide one day "Oh, let's install a javascript keylogger and get the admin's password." Boom, game over, wreak havoc everywhere :(.

On another side note, come on guys can we not fight over something as trivial as a forum *theme*?

Fiyero

Personally, I don't think anyone here is acting like you can just hire 30 people and give them all ACP access. That would obviously be incredibly dangerous and hazardous to the forum as a whole.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't the need for new, knowledgeable Staff Members. Eliz, you said it yourself that you and many of the other Staff Members are working through things right now that are keeping you from putting the forums as one of your highest priorities as it should be. I am a member of the Boy Scouts of America. Troop level stuff is completely volunteer. If the Scout Master just decides to not devote time to planning trips, or the Senior Patrol Leader decides not to devote a good amount of his time to planning meetings, the program will suffer.

Yes it is understood that working with the forums is a volunteer job. But that sure doesn't mean that Staff should just be like "Oh I have some other things going on, the forums are just gonna have to suffer for a few months". If the majority of the Administration have things going on that are keeping them from devoting the required time to this forum, then something needs to be done about that. It's not fair to the users to just let the forums fall to the wayside. If you have things going on in your life, by all means take some time and take care of that, but make sure there is someone who can step into your place while this is going on. Don't let the forums get shafted because your computer isn't working. It's not fair to the community and the users who use this on a daily basis.

As said before, it's understood that the hiring process isn't as easy as *click* ok you're an Administrator now. Obviously more is going to have to go into it then that. But I think the people on this thread are asking for those necessary steps to be taken. Open applications, or contact people directly. Do the interviews and talks with people and make sure they are legit and good to go. Almost all hiring decisions involve some amount of trust that the one being hired won't completely screw up everything.

And I wouldn't call a forum theme "trivial". It's actual very important as that as the first thing people notice when they log into the forums for the first time. It can have a lasting impression, and it needs to be customized and professional to attract more members. Is it the most important thing? Perhaps not. But it still shouldn't be just pushed aside for months.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, four pages of fighting about something as trivial as a forum theme. Maybe if it was about lack of in-game content I'd be on board, but you guys are complaining about an aesthetic that a couple people care for.

hahaha, and someone called you guys turds

Fiyero

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, four pages of fighting about something as trivial as a forum theme. Maybe if it was about lack of in-game content I'd be on board, but you guys are complaining about an aesthetic that a couple people care for.

hahaha, and someone called you guys turds
posting again because maybe you missed it

And I wouldn't call a forum theme "trivial". It's actual very important as that as the first thing people notice when they log into the forums for the first time. It can have a lasting impression, and it needs to be customized and professional to attract more members. Is it the most important thing? Perhaps not. But it still shouldn't be just pushed aside for months.