Debates suggestion

Andrew

I have noticed that sometimes people will reply to a debate topic with one word answers (i.e. "Yes" or "No") without giving a reason for their reply. I think there should be some sort of rule where if you are going to reply you have to give a reason for your response.

For example, if the question was "Do you support XYZ?" and someone replied "Yes.", how can other people debate what they said?

kalyee

I agree with that. I feel like non-debatable answers are perfect for the rants and complaints section, and other topics, but the whole point of a debate section is to be able to start up conversations about controversial topics, and you can't really respond to "yes" or "no" or some of the other couple word, no backing answers that get posted. If you want to agree with something but don't have anything to add, just use the thank button? If you don't agree, it should be easy to come up with the reason.

Ranch

I agree with that. I feel like non-debatable answers are perfect for the rants and complaints section, and other topics, but the whole point of a debate section is to be able to start up conversations about controversial topics, and you can't really respond to "yes" or "no" or some of the other couple word, no backing answers that get posted. If you want to agree with something but don't have anything to add, just use the thank button? If you don't agree, it should be easy to come up with the reason.
this.

nah jp.. I can't stand "this" posts!

Nope, I don't think there has to be some sort of ''rule'' to enforce that you have to elaborate more.
I kinda feel like that whole section of the forums should just be removed, tbh.

Last edited:

Andrew

Nope, I don't think there has to be some sort of ''rule'' to enforce that you have to elaborate more.
If you aren't going to elaborate more, then there's no way for anyone to debate what you said. Also, I fail to see why the whole section should be removed. It's one of the more active sections on the forum and there haven't been any major issues within the sub-forum so removing it would be kind of pointless.

----------

Because some people just don't want to be bashed on so they keep it short.
They could always use the thanks button like kalyee said.

If you aren't going to elaborate more, then there's no way for anyone to debate what you said. Also, I fail to see why the whole section should be removed. It's one of the more active sections on the forum and there haven't been any major issues within the sub-forum so removing it would be kind of pointless.

----------

I just don't think it's needed for MyVMK. But that's just my opinion don't hold a knife to my throat because of it.

Exodus

----------

I just don't think it's needed for MyVMK. But that's just my opinion don't hold a knife to my throat because of it.
Lol, that is why the Debates section is a join membership exclusive subforum. Just as the "Off-Topic" section doesn't have to have affiliation with MyVMK related topics, the "Debates" section is the same, except for those willing to partake in more controversial discussions :)

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with kaylee, making use of the "thanks" button is more appropriate than a blunt "yes" or "no" but I personally think that's a netiquette.

Last edited:

Andrew

----------

Lol, that is why the Debates section is a join membership exclusive subforum. Just as the "General" section doesn't have to have affilation with MyVMK related topics, the "Debates" section is the same, except for those willing to partake in more controversial discussions :)

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with kaylee, making use of the "thanks" button is more appropriate than a blunt "yes" or "no" but I personally think that's a netiquette.
I think you mean the "Off-topic" section.

Exodus

----------

Lol, that is why the Debates section is a join membership exclusive subforum. Just as the "General" section doesn't have to have affilation with MyVMK related topics, the "Debates" section is the same, except for those willing to partake in more controversial discussions :)

I think you mean the "Off-topic" section.
Lol yes that alot

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
Actually this is true. Not one part of the Debates forum is in proper debate form or follows the rules of proper debate etiquette, so why apply a rule? Besides, you can't pin a rule on just the people that reply without pinning a rule on those that make threads.

In other words, if you're going to make a rule where people that participate in debates on the debate forum have to elaborate in their answers, then you have to create a rule where the OP has to make the debate topic elaborate enough to where it makes you answer more than just "Yes" or "No". I've barely
seen debate topics on that forum that pose a question and then say, "Do you agree or disagree? Why or Why not?" A lot of them only leave enough room for just 1 worded answers.

Besides, people don't and can't seem to respect each others opinions on here, so a lot of people don't feel so inclined to elaborate on their opinion because there's always someone to jump all over them for it. And if they don't elaborate this comes up. It's a lose/lose situation. I agree with Famous, that forum shouldn't even exist because there isn't enough mutual respect going around where it can flourish without everything turning in to an argument.

Actually this is true. Not one part of the Debates forum is in proper debate form or follows the rules of proper debate etiquette, so why apply a rule? Besides, you can't pin a rule on just the people that reply without pinning a rule on those that make threads.

In other words, if you're going to make a rule where people that participate in debates on the debate forum have to elaborate in their answers, then you have to create a rule where the OP has to make the debate topic elaborate enough to where it makes you answer more than just "Yes" or "No". I've barely
seen debate topics on that forum that pose a question and then say, "Do you agree or disagree? Why or Why not?" A lot of them only leave enough room for just 1 worded answers.

Besides, people don't and can't seem to respect each others opinions on here, so a lot of people don't feel so inclined to elaborate on their opinion because there's always someone to jump all over them for it. And if they don't elaborate this comes up. It's a lose/lose situation. I agree with Famous, that forum shouldn't even exist because there isn't enough mutual respect going around where it can flourish without everything turning in to an argument.

Hear hear. Maybe if there was enough respect, courtesy, open-mindedness and mannerisms, the forum would be a better addition.

Kirllan

Forever Noob!
After making an effort to be open and formal about a debate in the Debates section I have found that most on this forum cannot debate without getting personal about it. As I have said on a different post I was a foremost debater on my Debate Team in college and learned all the rules and etiquette of debates and from what I saw for that one week I joined in is that it is a 'We, They' siege mentality. In a debate people try to reason out the issues in a forum where all speak formally and freely based on the topic. Every time I looked I felt insulted as an intellectual debater and decided to unjoin the group. I would have loved to stay on and debate but the rules of debate are just not there. I want to thank the maker of the forum group but I believe for this forum it is not going to work. I vote to close it or have a formal debate on whether it should stay open or closed.