Ethics!

On a personal level, I simply follow situational ethics as defined by Joseph Fletcher. That is to do whatever is most loving at any given time. The way I define loving is related to my religious beliefs, so I'll avoid getting into that here ;)

On a governmental level, I sit somewhere between a pragmatist and utilitarian. The reason I don't say utilitarian strictly is because that implies that the betterment of the majority justifies screwing over minorities, which is not what I believe in. Rather, I think the government should only be making decisions that truly impact everyone in the positive (or as close as is reasonable).

I think your answer is super sweet Alionette. I like it a lot!

(i feel like that seems like i'm judging opinions but i'm not...)

Haha, thanks guys but it's not something I've made up! I took a "Principles of Ethics" class a couple semesters ago, and we spent a pretty good amount of time discussing different ethical systems, and this is the only one I was comfortable "choosing" for personal beliefs.

Littlebelle

Smile and the world smiles with you
I believe that I am to treat others the way I want to be treated. I see many players in Myvmk that want to be treated terrible rofl. That said there are many more that live by the ethic to treat others nicely :)

I see. i took a philosophy class but we didnt go into detail about much.
I believe in moral nihilism...ideal government wise i'm pretty much in agreement with you.

I believe if everyone works, plays and loves to the best of their ability they are acting ethically. If you are forced to do less then your best, play at half speed for the benefit of others or love everyone at the expense of yourself, then that is unethical. Don't confuse religion with ethics. Religion frequently relies on faith. Ethics must never rely on faith.

Today is Christmas, in that spirit I say "love thy neighbor as you love yourself and do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Merry Christmas.
I see what you mean, but that does not mean depending on the lessons taught by some religion is wrong. For me, the religion I follow agrees with my ethical views (basically situationalism) in every case I've come across so far. So it's not to say that my ethics stem from religion, but rather that the two for me are intertwined.