Facebook spies on your personal, private life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoBandicoot

I haven't quit; college happened.
Okay so guys, i'm posting this for the people who don't already know- if you have the facebook messenger app on ANY of your electronic devices, delete it right now.
why?

Because of this :
( you can obviously see in the reflection that i JUST took this picture.)

There was a video going around on facebook but i'm not sure who believed it or who saw it so i'm letting the community become aware.

Facebook will actually spy on you -
they can access BOTH of your cameras, record audio, listen to your conversations through direct phone calls, go through not only your facebook messages but also your text messages on your phone too.

they do this so they can provide the most accurate advertisements on your facebook page and your computer if you have an ad virus such as browsesafe.

If you have an iphone and you want to see these permissions for yourself, you can't. Apple doesn't allow you to look through your permissions within an app so many people are not aware of what this app is capable of.

I had the messenger app on my dad's android tablet and went into settings>app>all>messenger and scrolled down to see this app's permissions. you cannot disable any of them. the only way to get rid of this is to delete the app completely so, if you don't want to be stalked by people you don't know and have people listening in to your conversations, delete this app immediately.

This thread is only to inform, and what you've heard is NOT a hoax.

Jerimiah

some days i hate you and other days i just want to give you a nuggie and a wedgie, jermeeah.
ily jk
Well you're pretty gullible and naive to believe that the app actually does any of the things you say it does. They're all reasonable and normal permissions for an app of that type to have.

There aren't any strangers wasting their time activating your camera and microphone to listen in on your life. It's literally all just a huge viral hoax and by posting this, you're just adding to the problem and causing people to be afraid of something that is completely normal.

CocoBandicoot

I haven't quit; college happened.
Well you're pretty gullible and naive to believe that the app actually does any of the things you say it does. They're all reasonable and normal permissions for an app of that type to have.

There aren't any strangers wasting their time activating your camera and microphone to listen in on your life. It's literally all just a huge viral hoax and by posting this, you're just adding to the problem and causing people to be afraid of something that is completely normal.
yeah true that
but if you're being serious rn then o...

Ghosty

VMK name was NeonGhost
Umm this was actually on the news!!! Our news channels did a story on the new messenger for the mobile app...I use a computer for facebook but yea..its been on the local news here

Eliz

Given the features of the app, all of those permissions make sense. Sometimes you need to pull in another permission because of how Android's API works, but the news and people are just heavily misinformed.

Megara

no sleep club
If I'm not mistaken, the only reason they say they'll "use your camera, microphone, etc." is so you can actually use your camera, microphone, etc., in the app. They don't actually go turn your camera on willy-nilly - only when you press the camera button (because you've allowed them to access your camera), will you be allowed to use your camera in the app. I probably just talked in circles right there - hope I didn't confuse you. Many apps have those permissions, not just fb messenger.

Exodus

Cocobandicoot's intentions were purely out of concern. I'm sure she didn't mean to mislead anyone.

However, it's true those permissions are completely normal. And unless you're a famous celebrity, you will highly unlikely ever get hacked or spied on every one of your phone activities.

Your personal information - This needs to be accessed to read your contact data because I believe Facebook tries to find your phone contact friends on Facebook by matching cell numbers (if they have it on their profile) just in case you're not added with them or something.

Services that cost you money & Your messages - When you visit friends' profiles with their numbers listed, this permission allows you to directly make a phone call from your phone by clicking and I guess they have a text message feature too or something.

Your location - This is necessary to access if you want to let people know where you're hanging out or something on your status or send out SOS distress signals ASAP lol.

Hardware controls - If you use Snapchat to record yourself, take pictures and videos to share with others, this permission from Facebook is no different.

And the rest are pretty obvious. No need to be concerned :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerimiah

This is aside from all of the apps actual permissions. it's been in the news- they actually do this.
They really don't spy on you. and just because it was on Fox News doesn't make it true. There's plenty of articles and official statements from facebook and google play saying they don't use the app to violate anyone's privacy. They agreed the way the permissions were worded may have been a bit misleading but besides from that, the app function as a normal app and doesn't even have the capability to spy on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.