gif spoiler..rule?

C

Christa

I've never really understood why this is a rule? A few players and I were talking about it a few days ago and I'm curious myself. Is it for user sensitivity to moving images? Because if that's the case then why would they be on a forum for a game with many moving items and characters?

Just curious...

Is this rule really necessary...?

Novatimo

Nova the Mack

well i mean their are some gifs that are super flashy (see below) and could cause seizures so maybe their just trying to keep it safe for everyone to be on the forums *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Honestly it was kind of ridiculous from the start. Me and some people replied to threads with GIFs and some people who didn't like us (aka grumpy ppl) at the time decided to revolt and complain and eventually Silhouette got on board with it and it became a thing. Why it still exists is beyond me and even several staff members thought it was kinda silly. But it would've been more difficult then to reverse it then it would be now.

well i mean their are some gifs that are super flashy (see below) and could cause seizures so maybe their just trying to keep it safe for everyone to be on the forums *shrugs*
Select people tried to bring up the "seizure" argument but people who actually had seizures or family members that had seizures replied and said that none of the GIFs really triggered attacks so...

I understand the spoilering GIFs rule only if it's with 3+ GIFs or GIFs that are pretty spazzy. But 99% of GIFs have less movement in them than anything you would find on VMK, and I don't really see anybody even using them recklessly or anything so why is this still a rule?

ps - u have to spoiler GIFs in comments but u don't have to spoiler GIFs in signatures...LOLZ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh I never understood the "spoiler all gifs" argument. I understand it with the extremely flashy ones (seizures are no joke), but there are so many that are flawlessly done without the gif flashing that I don't see a problem with those.

Jasmine

Honestly it was kind of ridiculous from the start. Me and some people replied to threads with GIFs and some people who didn't like us (aka grumpy ppl) at the time decided to revolt and complain and eventually Silhouette got on board with it and it became a thing. Why it still exists is beyond me and even several staff members thought it was kinda silly. But it would've been more difficult then to reverse it then it would be now.

Select people tried to bring up the "seizure" argument but people who actually had seizures or family members that had seizures replied and said that none of the GIFs really triggered attacks so...

I understand the spoilering GIFs rule only if it's with 3+ GIFs or GIFs that are pretty spazzy. But 99% of GIFs have less movement in them than anything you would find on VMK, and I don't really see anybody even using them recklessly or anything so why is this still a rule?

ps - u have to spoiler GIFs in comments but u don't have to spoiler GIFs in signatures...LOLZ?!
Yep. I remember bringing up how the photosensitive epilepsy argument didn't make sense (for multiple reasons) and neither did the new rule (which at the time was about gifs in signatures). Eventually they clarified the rules about gifs in signatures, but kept the gif rule for threads. I assumed it was because they still saw them as spam. However, I just looked at the rules and the way it's worded makes me think that they're banned because of the photosensitive epilepsy thing (but also spam):
Animated, or GIF images, are only allowed to be included in discussion posts when put in spoiler tags. You do not need to use spoiler tags in Forum Games as long as they relate to the game and are not spam. Animated images that may induce migraines or seizures (i.e. rapidly flashing lights and colors) are prohibited for the safety of other members.
So I guess you were right @Christa. I may be misunderstanding the way it's written though. *shrug*

C

Christa

tbh I never understood the "spoiler all gifs" argument. I understand it with the extremely flashy ones (seizures are no joke), but there are so many that are flawlessly done without the gif flashing that I don't see a problem with those.
Exactly like it's just like watching a show on tv or watching a youtube video.
My mom has seizures but they aren't brought on by flashing images..but then again there are many different types of seizures.
I still dont get this rule.

I understand the concern for people with epilepsy, but I've never seen someone deliberately post an image that could potentially cause a seizure to be cruel.

shrug

C

Christa

Mobile browsers don't load images or gifs that take too long to process usually. At least my iPhone doesn't. Neither did my old Android.

Quicksilver

Moderator Maximoff
Most of you are correct in assuming that we require GIF's to be in spoilers due to those who may be sensitive to flashing moving pictures. Epilepsy can also be known as Epilepsy Spectrum Disorder (similar to Autism Spectrum Disorder) where the causes and effects are different for each individual who are epileptic. Therefore, to accommodate all who are Epileptic (even if some may not be sensitive to flashing GIF's) we have this forum rule.

We do not enforce this rule for signatures because there is an option to deactivate seeing signatures in your account settings.

I hope this clarifies any questions or assumptions. Please feel free to pm a staff if you have any further questions.

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Most of you are correct in assuming that we require GIF's to be in spoilers due to those who may be sensitive to flashing moving pictures. Epilepsy can also be known as Epilepsy Spectrum Disorder (similar to Autism Spectrum Disorder) where the causes and effects are different for each individual who are epileptic. Therefore, to accommodate all who are Epileptic (even if some may not be sensitive to flashing GIF's) we have this forum rule.

We do not enforce this rule for signatures because there is an option to deactivate seeing signatures in your account settings.

I hope this clarifies any questions or assumptions. Please feel free to pm a staff if you have any further questions.
If this is a serious concern, why isn't there a warning for people playing VMK that may "be sensitive to flashing moving pictures." If the myVMK staff are infracting people over this rule because of that exact explanation, shouldn't there be a warning before entering the game with a disclaimer that the many colors/lights/flashing images in game would be even more damaging?

I understand trying to accommodate people of all walks of life but this rule doesn't really make sense and the point this response makes isn't really valid. Just scrolling up the page on the forums can cause an attack. Plus, I don't think once anyone has said a GIF/the game affected their epilepsy at all so I think it's unfair that people are literally being infracted because of a rule that can't even be explained in a way that makes sense.

Jasmine

I just wanted to point out that only those with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to those types of images though (so it's quite different from ASD where everyone presents the same symptoms differently). It's quite serious, so the question that people brought up before (why are they on a game like this) is legitimate. I've heard of people having seizures from seeing ambulance or police lights flashing. Some can be triggered by images that aren't even moving.

Not only that, but from what I know, it's pretty rare overall. I agree that it's nice to try to accommodate all, but I also agree that very few people on this forum are affected by this.

Last edited:
C

Christa

I feel like this rule is more of an inconvenience than an accommodation. If gifs are allowed in signatures because they can be disabled, then why are gifs allowed to be non-spoilered in the games section of the forums? So saying that you're accommodating all who are epileptic is kind of like saying "we're accommodating you unless you like to play forum games so don't go there".

Feels like one big excuse to me.

Quicksilver

Moderator Maximoff
If this is a serious concern, why isn't there a warning for people playing VMK that may "be sensitive to flashing moving pictures." If the myVMK staff are infracting people over this rule because of that exact explanation, shouldn't there be a warning before entering the game with a disclaimer that the many colors/lights/flashing images in game would be even more damaging?

I understand trying to accommodate people of all walks of life but this rule doesn't really make sense and the point this response makes isn't really valid. Just scrolling up the page on the forums can cause an attack. Plus, I don't think once anyone has said a GIF/the game affected their epilepsy at all so I think it's unfair that people are literally being infracted because of a rule that can't even be explained in a way that makes sense.
I just wanted to point out that only those with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to those types of images though (so it's quite different from ASD where everyone presents the same symptoms differently). It's quite serious, so the question that people brought up before (why are they on a game like this) is legitimate. I've heard of people having seizures from seeing ambulance or police lights flashing. Some can be triggered by images that aren't even moving.

Not only that, but from what I know, it's pretty rare overall. I agree that it's nice to try to accommodate all, but I also agree that very few people on this forum are affected by this.
I feel like this rule is more of an inconvenience than an accommodation. If gifs are allowed in signatures because they can be disabled, then why are gifs allowed to be non-spoilered in the games section of the forums? So saying that you're accommodating all who are epileptic is kind of like saying "we're accommodating you unless you like to play forum games so don't go there".

Feels like one big excuse to me.
Let me put it this way, would we disregard that elderly man standing in the middle of the bus and not give him our seat, because we want to sit and would not care if that elderly man fell down?
Shouldn't everyone be welcome to enjoy the magic that is VMK? Isn't it our duty as civil human beings to be considerate of others and to try out best in being inclusive? It's a small price to pay to put GIF's in spoiler tags (easy as typing a few letters) than to potentially harm someone with a disability.

You know the rule, you've read the rules, this thread is gaining views. You all know to put GIF's in spoiler tags, therefore do it and there will be no infractions. Even then, we warn before we give infractions and warnings have 0 point values to them. So if we warn you, just be extra cautious.

The game section of the forums is just a small concentrated area where regular people can post GIF's unspoilerized to their hearts content, yet people who may be sensitive to fast moving pictures would know not to venture into that area. Would you rather we make the rule mandatory for all areas of the forums?

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Let me put it this way, would we disregard that elderly man standing in the middle of the bus and not give him our seat, because we want to sit and would not care if that elderly man fell down?
Shouldn't everyone be welcome to enjoy the magic that is VMK? Isn't it our duty as civil human beings to be considerate of others and to try out best in being inclusive? It's a small price to pay to put GIF's in spoiler tags (easy as typing a few letters) than to potentially harm someone with a disability.

You know the rule, you've read the rules, this thread is gaining views. You all know to put GIF's in spoiler tags, therefore do it and there will be no infractions. Even then, we warn before we give infractions and warnings have 0 point values to them. So if we warn you, just be extra cautious.

The game section of the forums is just a small concentrated area where regular people can post GIF's unspoilerized to their hearts content, yet people who may be sensitive to fast moving pictures would know not to venture into that area. Would you rather we make the rule mandatory for all areas of the forums?
That's kind of hurtful to accuse us of turning a blind eye to those with epilepsy just because we're not understanding your explanation.

The way the rules are now, you're allowed GIFs in your signature, which completely contradicts and cancels out your explanation every time. If epilepsy is a serious concern for this rule, GIFs shouldn't be allowed in signatures either? Why isn't this being enforced? Again, why is their no disclaimer before entering the game to members of the epilepsy community?

I feel as if you aren't listening to our concerns, but instead, jumping to conclusions and giving us a form response.