Good place to learn C?

Hi everybody! I was just wondering if there is a good place to learn how to code C? My friend recommended I learn it as my first code because it has lots of practicality and builds a base for other important codes like C++. Now I am not really a true beginner because I have learned some simple coding languages but never anything like C. So is there anyplace that can teach me C? Thanks!

Whip

K&R is typically the always recommended book for C. I also haven't read, but have heard good things about, Learn C The Hard Way.

That said, unless you know a bit about how hardware works, a lot of concepts in C aren't necessarily intuitive and you'll often make mistakes. If you just want to learn some general purpose programming, I'd highly suggest Python for cutting your teeth (and getting working code written more quickly!).

Also of note: C isn't a prerequisite to learn C++, so if you prefer to just learn C++, you can do that.

My computer science knowledge admittedly isn't that strong, but I spent a lot of time in the past on choosing programming languages to learn (the problem is actually learning them).

Anyway, I've read that C is not a great place to start -- it has a lot of difficult features that might be scary for new programmers, and it isn't object-oriented like the vast majority of popular languages are. C is a good language to know down the road, but supposedly it's easier to learn object-orientation first, and then learn procedural than to do the inverse.

Brain

If you wish to learn C, there are many good ways to do so if you just Google it. However, C is a language no longer used in production. It is used for low-level systems programming and that is about all. Most new languages out there use some sort of C-variant to compile to, so it's much more useful to learn those.

S

Solar

A good book and a few google searches will do the trick if you're just starting. As you get into more advanced coding, definitely look into taking a course in college.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
Some people may argue that C is better to learn before any of the other C variations, but i say, since it's older and there are many others that do just as much and easier, C# and C++ are a better option.

C# is object oriented like java,
C++ is just a version of C but an upgrade with better syntax
Objective C has roots of C and C# has roots of C++ and Java.

http://techotopia.com/index.php/C_Sharp_Essentials
for C sharp
they also have Obj-C books there too!