Gun Laws in America.

Exodus

I believe gun laws should be more strict. There have been too many cases with children having access to guns (due to irresponsible parents) and accidently shooting their parents/siblings to death. Also, guns aren't given on the basis of mental health. Many, many gun owners have accidently shot their spouse/others during a ridiculous argument where they lost their wits because of the knowledge of a gun in the house being the first instinct. This can apply to teachers if they ever get the rights to own a gun. Teachers don't get mentally evaluated, just as they can assault or partake in illegal actions with students, why give them an extra object to cause further accidents? What's wrong with good old metal detectors and better security systems in schools? How do you judge and evaluate a situation of a teacher using a gun on a student who appeared threatening when all you can get is a one-sided story from the teacher as the student would be lying dead on the ground?

aceastrofan

The one and only...
We need stricter laws on guns. Even with the current restrictions on firearm purchase, people with questionable qualities are still able to own firearms. In the long run, this has and will cause issues. A big thing near where I live is buying firearms from the classified section in the newspaper. It seemingly allows youth and others to buy guns without the background checks or licensing. I think to own a firearm, mental screening, as well as a longer time period in between interest in gun ownership and handing a gun, should be applied.

Monorail

This is how I look at it.

If we were trying to prevent the number of people that die in car accidents, restricting the number of cars on the road would correlate to a decrease in accidents, regardless of whether "criminals" possessed illegal cars, or black-market cars hit the road.

This example is ludicrous because our society is so heavily dependent on cars. But our society does not depend on guns. Restricting the number of guns in circulation, whether that be through banning automatic rifles, restriction of the number of firearms owned, etc., would, in theory, prevent death by guns.

Again, you could argue that you are only taking away the guns from the innocent, but regardless, tighter gun laws could have prevented situations like Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, etc.

Link to Harvard School of Public Health research article on the relationship of the amount of firearms to the amount of homicide.

Kirllan

Forever Noob!
We all know what the Constitution says about this. The founding Fathers of the United States allowed for the ownership of arms only because their experience with the Revolution taught them that any government can go wrong, not all but it is a possibility. With that I wish there was a fool proof way of keeping bad people from owning guns but it is obvious that is not easy to do. I believe in this society we should have gun regulations but not to the point that good people cannot get them and the bad people can. If the regulations are too tight then it disables good Americans from getting a gun so they can defend their home with it. Too loose and yes good people get them but so can the bad people. If there is a way to keep a balance so that good people end up with the guns and the bad people have a harder time getting them then I would be all for that. I do not own a gun myself never liked them much they are noisy and always leave a hole wherever they go. I am a Master Swordsman and have been trained to do swordplay very well. Either way we should be allowed some kind of arms in America so we can defend our homes, if it be a gun then I hope is it one of the good citizens of this United States. I stand by the Right to bear Arms just as the Founding Fathers of our great country did and am proud of it.

WHO

I didn't ask if you guys think guns should be taken away.

Also, what about all the people who use guns for suicide?

Stricter gun laws wont do anything... Criminals will still get guns, Chicago is living proof of that. Guns were just made legal to own inside city limits and the gun crime rate hasn't changed in the slightest.

I don't get what you're asking about people who use guns for suicide?

WHO

Stricter gun laws wont do anything... Criminals will still get guns, Chicago is living proof of that. Guns were just made legal to own inside city limits and the gun crime rate hasn't changed in the slightest.

You mean illegal?

And guns aren't just used to murder other people. There's accidents where people get in arguments and it rises to someone getting a gun out in the heat of the moment. And then there's someone who's clinically depressed, etc and kills themselves. Are you saying stricter gun laws that make you have to get a mental/background checks won't save lives?

You mean illegal?

And guns aren't just used to murder other people. There's accidents where people get in arguments and it rises to someone getting a gun out in the heat of the moment. And then there's someone who's clinically depressed, etc and kills themselves. Are you saying stricter gun laws that make you have to get a mental/background checks won't save lives?
No. I mean legal. Guns were illegal to own within city limits of Chicago until a couple years ago.

I never said that guns are only used to murder people, I said GUN CRIMES, which can include pull guns in arguments, road rage, etc. Will that save lives? No it wont. In my town, I can go to at least 1 of 10 people on a street or any sketchy gas station and give them cash for a gun. You can do that in many towns. & Even with mental/background checks, things can change suddenly. Someone can be fine 1 day and then 3 months later have something happen that makes them snap.

Making guns illegal or harder to get will never stop criminals from getting guns.

WHO

You mean illegal?

No. I mean legal. Guns were illegal to own within city limits of Chicago until a couple years ago.

I never said that guns are only used to murder people, I said GUN CRIMES, which can include pull guns in arguments, road rage, etc. Will that save lives? No it wont. In my town, I can go to at least 1 of 10 people on a street or any sketchy gas station and give them cash for a gun. You can do that in many towns. & Even with mental/background checks, things can change suddenly. Someone can be fine 1 day and then 3 months later have something happen that makes them snap.

Making guns illegal or harder to get will never stop criminals from getting guns.
Okay, but I'm not talking about murder at the moment. You don't think someone should be given a background check of records, etc before given a gun?

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
Okay, but I'm not talking about murder at the moment. You don't think someone should be given a background check of records, etc before given a gun?
:question: :question: :question:
What are you even talking about anymore lol. You've literally jumped from 3 different concepts in the last few posts. You'll ask someone a question, they'll respond, and then you'll disagree because you decided upon another topic to discuss.

Guns should be restricted to some extent. I think people should be allowed to have them, but only with a psych-evaluation, and I think allowing people to buy fully automatic weapons is a bit much. Maybe have a re-evaluation every couple years, and thoroughly document gun purchases. That way, if someone's mental state goes way downhill, their weapons can be seized before they do something horrendous.

There's a reason for the Second Amendment, and so I think stable people should be allowed to bear arms for their own defense, recreational hunting, etc.

And you think that if guns are taken away, the suicide rate will just go down?
Abso-freaking-lutely.

In the UK, the most popular suicide method was carbon monoxide poisoning by oven gas. Eventually, the gas used dropped in its CO content, and suicide rates dropped correspondingly. Other methods of suicide became slightly more frequent, but the overall rate fell dramatically.

http://www.crisis.org.cn/UploadFile/ReadParty/10-Restriction of access to methods of suicide (E).pdf

A lot of times, taking away the easiest means of suicide will cause the person to question whether this is the right decision. As a result, they'll live.

You mean illegal?

Where did I say ANYTHING about murder??

There are background checks before you can purchase a gun. You have a criminal background check. Which is all that is needed in my opinion. A mental health check will not stop anyone from committing suicide so what's the point? If we don't let a person with a mental illness buy a gun, they'll find another way to kill themselves if they're that desperate.