Gun Laws in America.

wow that guns have so many positive things is so flawed. i swear u gun enthusiasts think that just because you own a gun you're safe. You're really not unless you've taken a class or are half the population that is born with a fight instinct and even then, if you think that intruder is coming into your house armed with only a switchblade you're insane. cheers to grabbing yours before he pops one off in you!

Monorail

[MENTION=58]Yuna[/MENTION]

"Nothing about the debate of gun control is black and white and sticks to only 1 topic, there's many sides to it and they're all valid contributions to the topic at hand, so a little more respect would be nice."

There is no disrespect here. There are several sides to it and at that moment I was talking about 1. Suicide. Not other sub-topics, such as violence onto others. As you said, this is a big topic, hence why I was trying to pin point one topic on the head at the time. I'm sorry you thought my posts were disrespectful.

EDIT: I also disagree with you. Just because people who want to commit suicide are going to find a way to kill themselves either way, doesn't mean we should just hand them a gun to go ahead and get it over with.
but you're solving a problem with something that, in Yuna's mind, isn't going to help at all.

if the suicide rate (as Yuna is arguing for) won't drop significantly with gun control measures, why put them in place to stop suicide?
But it does decrease suicide rates. I'm not sure how that's debatable. A gun is death in one second. Hanging along with other tactics is a struggle and takes a bit longer. A gun is one shot to the head and you're done. A lot more people would rather have a gun and end it right away.
popping 30 pills is one swig of water (or a few, but it's still very quick, and usually painless). Sure it's reversible, but are we going to ban OTC medications because people can intentionally overdose?

Guns have so many positive things - recreation, security against intruders, etc.

And one mental health exam will only catch the most severe of cases - ones who likely wouldn't be getting guns in the first place anyway. What about the college age girl who has a gun for protection, and then her boyfriend breaks up with her? Or the man who finds out his wife has been cheating on him for years? Or other instances where it's sudden, extreme depression? How are you going to catch those people with a mental health exam? Furthermore, one mental health examination won't catch all persons with mental issues. Someone who's depressed, and getting the exam not because they want help, but because they want a gun, can fudge their answers.

It's not a valid solution.
No, obviously we are not going to ban OTC medication. Why? It helps more people than it kills. It's simple.

Guns do not help more people than they kill.

"Recreation" is not worth more than saving an innocent life, even if it is one life.
"Protection from intruders" can be done with a semi-automatic concealed firearm.

And about this test,

sure, it won't catch all mentally ill people that would possibly be a danger with a gun. But it would catch some. That's the real thing here. Gun restriction is meant to protect any innocent life taken by gun violence.

Will people still die regardless of restriction? yes
Will more people die due to restriction? theoretically, no.
Will less people die due to restriction? theoretically, yes.

Is it worth giving up a rifle, or taking a test to purchase a gun worth saving innocent life, even if it was just one?

Let's just say you can have my rifle, and I'll take the test.

Goddess

Where did 4 years go?!
[MENTION=58]Yuna[/MENTION]

"Nothing about the debate of gun control is black and white and sticks to only 1 topic, there's many sides to it and they're all valid contributions to the topic at hand, so a little more respect would be nice."

There is no disrespect here. There are several sides to it and at that moment I was talking about 1. Suicide. Not other sub-topics, such as violence onto others. As you said, this is a big topic, hence why I was trying to pin point one topic on the head at the time. I'm sorry you thought my posts were disrespectful.

EDIT: I also disagree with you. Just because people who want to commit suicide are going to find a way to kill themselves either way, doesn't mean we should just hand them a gun to go ahead and get it over with.
I never said we should just hand them a gun and get it over with, so how you can disagree with a statement I never made is beyond me but whatever you feel is necessary so be it. :shrug: I'm all for restricting access to firearms or any other weapons to people with mental instability, I'm just saying in regards to the arguments about how restricting gun control will decline the suicide rate that it won't, it will just decline the rate based on the method of suicide chosen. People who are suicidal will still attempt to kill themselves (and in some cases regrettably succeed) regardless of how strict gun regulations are for those with mental instability. And even restricting gun control for legal firearms won't necessarily reduce that rate either because there's still illegal circulation of firearms and weapons as well to consider.

I don't think all of your posts were disrespectful, only a select few but I thank you for apologizing. My only point I was trying to reach in that aspect of my response wasn't that you were trying to pin-point one specific sub-topic of the main statement, just that it's not necessary to shut down those that are posting about other sub-topics that fall under gun control when they have validity and merit just because it doesn't coincide directly with what you were posting about. But again, I thank you for your apology.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Not so Active Member
The right to bear arms is the second amendment, and I believe people have unfortunately taken advantage of that amendment. There needs to be a stricter system on how people can buy/gain access to guns, but there is always a negative to that.

I know Sandy Hook was almost two years ago, but think of all the children's lives that got lost because of one insane idiot who had access to his mother's gun, which I can't fathom why she had one anyway. But there needs to be a stricter system, maybe people can gain background checks before they can have one, but those guns could be passed down through the family and unfortunately to a person who's mentally unstable, and they could use that weapon in a horrible way.

And some jobs require to have guns, like the police department or FBI, and those guns are used for the greater good in protecting people in dangerous situations.

And suicide is another issue. I can't really speak for people who want to commit, and little knowledge I have on ways to commit, but if the person has access to a gun, or a family member in their household has a gun, they could end their life that way, but if they didn't have access to one, they could always find another way. But suicide rates will not likely go down rapidly if guns are outlawed or harder to gain. I could lean either way with this issue because there are so many negative aspects to any positive solution.

Last edited: