"Happy Holidays!" Nonsense..

Ranch

I don't understand why people are so uptight about using this phrase. When a person says this, they are simply addressing ALL religious celebrations and events that people enjoy in the winter. It's just an acknowledgement, that yes.. I hope your holiday is a happy one.. be it Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or none of that and simply New Years Eve partying.. and to all others I haven't listed.. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU! :balloon:;):balloon:

Graham

オミッド
I've never seen anyone being uptight about that phrase, I've seen quite the opposite actually. "merry christmas" omg no!! u gotta say happy holidays!! d00d ugh so offensive 2 other holiday!!

Gazehound

adventureland enthusiast
I've never seen anyone being uptight about that phrase, I've seen quite the opposite actually. "merry christmas" omg no!! u gotta say happy holidays!! d00d ugh so offensive 2 other holiday!!
tbh I've never, ever seen/heard this happening

I don't think it's offensive to wish someone a merry Christmas but at the end of the day it's more polite/easier/all-encompassing to use "happy holidays", also has a better ring to it

Oreo

LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNEHHZ
I've never understood people who get insulted over "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." The fact that we spend soooo much time thinking about this is kind of silly.

If I know that someone else is of a different religion, I will respect their religion and wish them a Happy '[insert here]'. However, for the most part I say "Merry Christmas" because I am Christian and Christmas is the holiday I celebrate. I am ALWAYS accepting to people of other religions, but, where do we draw the line at being respectful of other cultures before you allow your own to disappear? If you meet somebody and they don't agree with your personal beliefs, are you all of a sudden going to change your beliefs just to please them? It's just too much always trying to please everyone. In addition, saying "Merry Christmas" isn't disrespectful to anybody nor does it inflict your religion on them.

Furthermore, if we were all truly sincere, respectful, and tolerant of each other, it wouldn't really matter what you say. If love and honest is
present, who cares which words you use to express it?

Jasmine

I've never understood people who get insulted over "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." The fact that we spend soooo much time thinking about this is kind of silly.

If I know that someone else is of a different religion, I will respect their religion and wish them a Happy '[insert here]'. However, for the most part I say "Merry Christmas" because I am Christian and Christmas is the holiday I celebrate. I am ALWAYS accepting to people of other religions, but, where do we draw the line at being respectful of other cultures before you allow your own to disappear? If you meet somebody and they don't agree with your personal beliefs, are you all of a sudden going to change your beliefs just to please them? It's just too much always trying to please everyone. In addition, saying "Merry Christmas" isn't disrespectful to anybody nor does it inflict your religion on them.

Furthermore, if we were all truly sincere, respectful, and tolerant of each other, it wouldn't really matter what you say. If love and honest is
present, who cares which words you use to express it?
I completely agree. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, I don't see how saying "Merry Christmas" would be disrespectful or offensive. It's just a simple greeting used around the holidays...

Shrimp

It's not offensive unless you overthink it and make it offensive. If you don't celebrate Christmas and someone wishes you "Mery Christmas," they obviously had good intentions, and you have to consider the fact that this might be said by someone who doesn't know you well enough to know your faith, more the reason to not turn it into something offensive. "Happy Holidays" is just politically correct, and in general polite but this shouldn't be a big issue at all.

I have never seen this happen either. I guess where I'm from, people don't jump at each other's throats over phrases that are both meant with good intentions, regardless of what party it's being said to.

karkat

It's not offensive unless you overthink it and make it offensive. If you don't celebrate Christmas and someone wishes you "Mery Christmas," they obviously had good intentions, and you have to consider the fact that this might be said by someone who doesn't know you well enough to know your faith, more the reason to not turn it into something offensive. "Happy Holidays" is just politically correct, and in general polite but this shouldn't be a big issue at all.

I have never seen this happen either. I guess where I'm from, people don't jump at each other's throats over phrases that are both meant with good intentions, regardless of what party it's being said to.
YEAH ITS NOT OFFENSIVE......unless u think about it

I've only seen people get upset over saying "Merry Christmas" which, frankly, is ridiculous.

I'm not going to get mad at someone wishing me a Happy Hanukkah. My personal beliefs aren't going to change the fact that Hanukkah is a holiday. And if I didn't celebrate Christmas, that wouldn't stop Christmas from being the 25th of December. I have no problem with either of these or even "Happy Holidays" for that matter.

Most of the problem with these phrases come from the fact that people are becoming increasingly "offended" on other people's behalf. I mean, would it kill you to just smile and say "You too"?

So happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Festivus, and Winter Solstice everybody! :)

Whispered

I tend to say Merry Christmas just because I'm against any form of "political correctness". Because the only point of political correctness is to try to appease everyone regardless of your personal beliefs (it pretty much is how politicians get elected - appease everyone, no matter what you care about). So I guess when I use Merry Christmas I don't mean it with disrespect to others, I just don't like people who say Happy Holidays only because it's "political correct" - unless you're a politician (hopefully not) you shouldn't care what other people think, it's *your* beliefs.

karkat

I tend to say Merry Christmas just because I'm against any form of "political correctness". Because the only point of political correctness is to try to appease everyone regardless of your personal beliefs (it pretty much is how politicians get elected - appease everyone, no matter what you care about). So I guess when I use Merry Christmas I don't mean it with disrespect to others, I just don't like people who say Happy Holidays only because it's "political correct" - unless you're a politician (hopefully not) you shouldn't care what other people think, it's *your* beliefs.
thats the single most self centered thing ive ever read and one time i said i should just be elected queen of the planet because im too good for everyone else

happy holidays is great and although i dont find 'merry christmas' to be offensive, if ur talkin to a wide range of people 'happy holidays' takes into account all their celebrations and then everyone feels included and loved xoxo

although for some reason i really hate the phrase 'season's greetings'

I completely agree. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, I don't see how saying "Merry Christmas" would be disrespectful or offensive. It's just a simple greeting used around the holidays...
I'm with you here. People say it presumes a religion, but that's the thing: Christmas is barely a religious holiday at this point. It's hanging on by a thread.

First of all, December 25th has no significance in Christianity. It's a carry-over from Saturnalia, which was a Roman gift-giving holiday celebrated on that date. The Pope moved Christmas to this date to build up popularity for the religion. More importantly, the imagery that we see surrounding the holiday is commercialized. Santa, elves, trees; these aren't Christian symbols. There's a reason that plenty of non-Christians celebrate the holiday: it's not Christian.

So happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, and Winter Solstice everybody! :)
Thanks for leaving out Festivus.

It not only depends on who you are saying it to, but also who is saying it.

For example, where I'm from no-one says 'Happy Holidays' - it is just not a norm for us. We use 'Merry/Happy Christmas'. So When I say that I am in no way being offensive; it is just what I have been brought up saying =)

Whispered

thats the single most self centered thing ive ever read and one time i said i should just be elected queen of the planet because im too good for everyone else
I'd love an explanation for how sticking to my roots and disagreeing with the "we must change ourselves to please others" is self-centered.

The way I see it, you shouldn't feel the need to say EITHER thing just because of others. Say what you want to say, and don't give a flying fladoodle what others think. Because you are you.

This doesn't mean I condone saying something for the sole purpose of offending someone, mind you.

I'll say Merry Christmas. I dont care what people think about that either face to face or online. It's just like these people that get angry and offended over Halloween. Its unfortunate that a lot of kids these days cant even dress up for Halloween at school because of parents and the social media now. Give me a break...take the sticks out of your ***** (Fill in the blank) lol . The point of the holidays are to just enjoy them and people tend to lose focus on whats important. That is BEING TOGETHER with family and friends, loved ones. That's what the Holidays should be about, not complaining about how some people use their 'freedom of speech' just because you don't agree with celebrating a certain holiday or how word usage is done. Focus on what's important, the meaning behind the holidays. SOME adults need to let the families and kids out there enjoy their holidays and shut up. <-----Blunt Enough. Ok, Enough said. LoLz

Whispered

I'll say Merry Christmas. I dont give an (this probably crosses a line) what people think about that either face to face or online. It's just like these people that get angry and offended over Halloween. Its unfortunate that a lot of kids these days cant even dress up for Halloween at school because of parents and the social media now. Give me a break...take the sticks out of your ***** (Fill in the blank) lol . The point of the holidays are to just enjoy them and people tend to lose focus on whats important. That is BEING TOGETHER with family and friends, loved ones. That's what the Holidays should be about, not complaining about how some people use their 'freedom of speech' just because you don't agree with celebrating a certain holiday or how word usage is done. Focus on what's important, the meaning behind the holidays. SOME adults need to let the families and kids out there enjoy their holidays and shut up. <-----Blunt Enough. Ok, Enough said. LoLz
Amen (I did a tad bit of self censorship cause it'll probably get edited by staff anyway, sorry).

But goodness, your points are right. Very right.