Holiday Short Story Competition- The Finalists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merida

Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Thank you to all who entered the competition this year- we have had some truly fantastic entries! Here are your finalists, please give these fantastic stories a read before casting your vote for your favorite!

Please remember though any attempts to encourage people to vote for your story will lead to disqualification- so please don't do it!

The voting will be closed in 7 days time!

A- "The Winter Kitten"

B- Flint's First Visit to Disneyland Paris
It was a cold, crisp December morning. Flint’s family always goes to a Disney Park on his birthday. This year, he wanted to visit Disneyland Paris. The only issue was that it was too cold to be outside, let alone to be riding Splash Mountain or any other water ride.
Flint was a boy, around 14 years old. His extremely short, black hair was hardly visible to see because each strand was a small stub. His face, a pale white, which turned rosy during the winter season. He was born on December 5th, 2001 and lived with his parents and brother in Michigan. His brother, Carl, was 11 years old and had curly brown hair.

They arrived in France on a plane, and on December 5th, they entered through a tall, pinkish building with fountains surrounding it and a massive Mickey Mouse head made of flowers.

Flint wanted to ride Crush’s Coaster because he had never ridden it before, but his family wanted to ride Space Mountain before the line got too long. Flint's parents agreed to let him run off to ride Crush’s Coaster and told him that they would meet him by the Carousel after they were done riding Space Mountain.

Flint headed towards Crush’s Coaster. Halfway through the line to board the ride, Flint began to ask himself, "If Crush is a sea turtle, then is this a water ride?" Flint did not want to be wet, because then he would be even colder than he already was, so he ran out of the line.

He thought that he would have time to get to Space Mountain and still ride it with his family if he hurried to get there. Flint ran to Space Mountain, and when he got there, he saw that it was under refurbishment.

He then began to panic, asking himself, "If his family didn’t ride Space Mountain, then what would they have ridden?" He recalled that Carl’s favorite ride was Casey Jr, so he decided to go there, except he couldn’t find his map anywhere. Flint was lost without the map.

The Christmas parade began and Flint decided to watch it. Mickey Mouse and Santa Claus were both on the last float. The parade then suddenly stopped. Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse both got off their float and walked towards Flint.

Santa Claus said, "Young boy, you don't look like you’re having a merry Christmas."

Flint replied by saying, "I’m lost, I don't know where my family is."

Mickey said, "Perhaps you could see them from the top of our float. It’s very high up."

When the three of them returned to the float, Flint looked down at all the crowds of people. He couldn't stop himself from smiling. Everyone was cheering and having a great time. When the parade was done, Flint saw himself standing right next to his family. He did not know exactly what happened, but he assumed that Santa used his magic to bring him with his family again.

C- The Perfect Life

D- Winter Short Story

E- A White Christmas in Disneyland
It was a cold crisp December morning, and I looked outside and once again there wasn't snow. I had been living in California for about four months and I wasn't used to the weather in the slightest. My roommates and I constantly begged for snow of any sort, or just moisture in general but, our begging was constantly in vain. I was fondly remembering the snow days I had back home in Nevada when my friend put a hand on my shoulder and snapped me out of it by saying, "Are you ready to go to Disney?". The one perk of living in California that Disneyland was a mere 30 minutes away and my friend, Reed, and I took every opportunity we could to go there. We bundled up and put on our favorite mouse ears and headed out the door. In the car ride we listened to Christmas music and reminisced about the past, like how every year we would decorate our old VMK rooms with the Christmas items we so fondly loved. We constantly brought up VMK, it was how we met and how we furthered our friendship and how we ended up going to college together; our hearts would pang in sadness every time we walked by the old VMK hubs in Tomorrowland. We got to the park and we went on our favorite rides, which were decked to the nines with Christmas lights and decorations. Our feet were sore as we sat down on the sidewalk of main street, waiting for the fireworks. We looked at the Christmas decorations as I looked to Reed asking, "I guess VMK really was on par with the parks, this street is the exact replica of the one I remember online," we both sighed in thought. Then, we stood up to watch our fireworks, listening to the songs and giving "oohs" and "awws" at the correct times. Having not seen the fireworks show in several years, we thought it would end with something completely different than it did. As we were ready to walk out, thinking we'd heard the last song, something magical happened, snow. The most magical place on earth started to flurry with artificial white snow. Reed and I looked at each other and started to laugh, fond tears coming up into our eyes. Although it wasn't coming from the sky and it was coming from machines on the top of Main Street, we couldn't help but fall in love even more with the most magical place on earth.

F- Winter Short Story 2015

G- A Hundred Acre Wood Christmas
It was a cold crisp December morning for Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, Rabbit, Kanga, Roo, and Owl.

“Everyone, we need to decide what we are getting for our dear Christopher Robin today,” said Rabbit, “I’ll take suggestions now.”

Shivering, Kanga says, “How about we get him a new scarf and hat. In the blustery wind, he’ll need them to stay warm!”

“We got him that last year” groans Eeyore.

“Oh bother!” exclaims Pooh, “That was such a good idea.”

“Ooh hoo hoo hoo,” Tigger giggles, “I’ve got it! The perfect i-de-er. Let’s take a group picture and sign the frame so he can have us with him always.”

Roo, poking his head out of Kanga’s pouch says, “Yeah! Nice thinking Tigger!”

“B-b-but where are we going to take the picture?” Piglet stutters. “There’s s-s-so many places in th-th-the Hundred Acre Wood to choose from.”

“Think, think, think…” says Pooh.

Flapping his wings, Owl exclaims “I can fly to the top of the trees and find the perfect place!” Soaring high above his friends, he shouts down to the others “Over here! We can take it in the Nice Place for Picnics since we’ve made so many memories there.”

The group walked briskly through the snow to the Nice Place for Picnics to take their picture. As it came into view, a familiar figure was awaiting them. Oh no! It’s Christopher Robin!

“Hello guys!” exclaimed Christopher, “What are you up to?”

Stunned, the friends looked around at each other trying to figure out what to say. Finally, Eeyore groaned “We were trying to take a picture here for your Christmas present, but now you won’t be surprised.”

“Oh! It’s the thought that counts, and I’m very surprised,” Christopher replied, “maybe I could be in the picture too so we can remember this moment.”

“Oh, what a lovely idea! Let’s do it.” Kanga said.

In a flurry, Owl, Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Christopher, and Eeyore began to pose as Rabbit set up the camera.

“A little to your left…No, your other left! Okay, perfect, say there,” directed Rabbit, “now, big smiles everyone! Ready? Now!” He set the timer and ran to his position in the group.

3…2…1…Snap!

The cold crisp December morning wasn’t so cold anymore, the group of friends warmed each others hearts with the Christmas spirit. It’s not about the gifts given on this holiday, it’s about the memories created with friends and family.

H- Pluto's Christmas Adventure!
It was a cold crisp December morning when Mickey let Pluto out to get the morning paper. Just as Pluto was about to complete his errand, the snow plow went by and completely covered Pluto and the paper in a pile of snow! Needless to say, Pluto was extremely worried that the paper would be all soaked through and Mickey would blame innocent Pluto for ruining it. That’s kind of how things seemed to go in the House of Mouse. So Pluto dug as fast as he possibly could, looking everywhere for that paper. Finally, after all hope seemed lost, he found it…only to discover it was too late. The paper was completely soaked through. Poor Pluto picked the soggy paper up gingerly in his mouth and walked dejectedly back to Mickey, sure of the scolding that would come. Just as he was about to scratch the door to be let in, he heard a noise.
“Ho, ho, ho! What’s that you have there, boy?”

Pluto whipped around, and to his immense surprise, he saw Santa standing on the sidewalk! Pluto ran up to Santa, dropped the paper, and proceeded to lick all over Santa’s face.

Santa laughed. “Good boy, Pluto! Down, now. Down!”

Pluto sat down and thumped his tail in the snow, a huge doggy grin on his face.

Santa bent over and lifted up the very sad looking newspaper. That reminded Pluto of his horrible luck that morning in trying to fetch the paper and he ducked his head in shame, ears and tail drooping.

“Don’t look so glum, Pluto! I think I have just the thing for you.”

Santa reached into his sack, and brought out a brand new crisp newspaper, all wrapped in a plastic bag! Pluto started wagging his tail furiously, he was so happy.

“And I didn’t forget something for you, dear boy.” Santa then pulled out the biggest bone Pluto had ever seen, tied up with a giant red bow! Pluto’s tail wagged faster, if that was even possible. “I’ll go place this by your dog house, while you deliver that paper, eh?” Santa winked at Pluto.

Pluto jumped up and licked Santa one more time for a thank you.

“Merry Christmas, Pluto,” Santa called, as he walked around the house.

Just then, Mickey opened the front door. “Pluto? Pluto!” he called. “What’s taking so long, boy?”

Pluto quickly picked up the paper and ran to the front door, depositing it at Mickey’s feet.

“Aww, good boy Pluto! Anything exciting happen when you get the paper today?” Mickey asked.

Pluto wagged his tail and nodded his head, but Mickey appeared not to notice. He laughed and patted Pluto on the head.

“Merry Christmas, Pluto!”

For Pluto, it was a very Merry Christmas indeed.

I- Not a creature was stirring, not even a ...
It was a cold crisp December morning. As I entered the door, I eminently felt the warmth of the fireplace. I quickly noticed no one was awake. As I walked through the house, I scanned the room to make sure there wasn’t any potential danger. I searched for food and delicious desserts. I found untouched cookies by their lonesome on a table near a nicely decorated tree. I ate half of one of the cookies as I got quite full rather quickly by it. Then I heard running down the stairs, I got scared and hid under the huge presents. “Merry Christmas!”, a voice shouted. People were pulling presents out from the tree one by one and opening them. I got nervous as I would eventually get caught. Someone pulled a present from under me. “A mouse!”, someone yelled. They all screamed and shouted. I quickly made a haste to the door. I went through the door crack and ran away in the cold morning breeze as the sun was slowly rising. I ran and ran as the house's lights were becoming more distant.

J- The Best Christmas in Forever
It was a cold crisp December morning, and Princess Anna of Arendelle awoke to the sight of snow on her window. For a moment she smiled sleepily and thought about how much fun it would be to make Olaf some snow-friends, but as her drowsiness faded a sharp realization hit her. What if this snow was simply because there was something wrong? What if Elsa wasn't well? What if she was hurt!

She dashed from her bed with disheveled hair, leaving her bunny slippers behind as he flung open the door and took off down the hall.
"ELSA?!" she yelled as she aggressively knocked on her sister's door. After there was no reply she tried the handle and found it to be open. She peeked inside to see an empty room, but then heard a familiar voice behind her.
"What are you up to?" Queen Elsa laughed, a warm smile on her face.
"Oh! I'm just... uh... seeing if you've already wrapped all my... your! Christmas presents!" Anna replied sheepishly. She didn't want to admit that her mind had immediately shot to negativity and worry.
"Is that so?" questioned her snowy-haired sister as she gave the ginger a knowing look, then beckoned her over to a window. "Well see for yourself, then."

Anna peered out the window to see that the gates were open and that the town square had been frozen over to create a large ice-skating rink. Everyone in Arendelle was already there, including Sven, who had an ice-skate strapped to each hoof and was eagerly following after Kristoff for the carrot that was in his pocket. Anna let out a squeal of excitement when her eyes drifted over the huge pile of presents under the largest and best-decorated tree she'd ever seen. Though the sight that made her want to get outside as soon as she possibly could most of all was much simpler. A hot chocolate stand and a grilled cheese sandwich stand with visible warm steam billowing away from them, their scents filling the square, were both calling to her.

"Oh, thank you, Elsa! This is going to be the best Christmas we've ever had!" she said giddily, jumping up and down. She only stopped to give her sister a quick hug and then take off happily down the hall to put on some warm clothes and head outside.

"Merry Christmas, Anna." Elsa said softly as her sister bounded away. The Queen gave off a pleased sigh and glanced out the window again before heading out to the town square herself. They really were going to have the best Christmas... for the first time in forever.

K- Mistletoe on the USS Enterprise
It was a cold, crisp December morning on the Terran home world. Across the galaxy, aboard the USS Enterprise, the crew faced their own chilly atmosphere.
"Listen here you green blooded hobgoblin, the mistletoe is going up." Doctor McCoy was toe to toe with the Vulcan, his finger jabbing into Spock's chest.

Looking down at the other man, the Vulcan kept his face impassive, "Doctor, I am simply stating that it is illogical for two to become intimate because they have stepped under a poisonous, parasitic plant and therefore should not be set up over the lift."

The shorter man grumbled and shoved the plastic plant in question at the First Officer. "Just do it," he huffed before storming away.

Spock watched the doctor make his way over to where Nyota and Chekov were placing decorations on the tree. Looking away he looked down at the plastic plant in his hand for a moment before making his way over to the turbo lift.

He quickly made way with the mistletoe, his arms stretched above his head, when the lift door opened to reveal a familiar set of eyes.

The other man's eyes drifted from Spock's face before landing on the object in his hands. Before Spock could blink lips were pressed to his and gone just as quickly.

"Yo Bones, you said you needed me? Kirk stepped around the Vulcan, ignoring the green tint he had taken to and stepped onto the bridge. Doctor McCoy smiled, "You know what, what I needed just got done."

Happy Voting and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.