Is mathematics necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?pagewanted=all

Please read the article before replying, as it's quite an interesting article in my opinion.

I think that math is necessary, but should not be so heavily required for someone who may excel in other courses, or who want to go into a field where they need nothing more than basic math and basic algebra concepts. So, if math is stopping a student from flourishing in school, then maybe they should be exempt from taking math. (This is assuming the student has tried to do well or succeed in math but failed despite multiple attempts)

For me, I like math. Although I am not the best at it I do find it interesting. Sometimes I often think to myself "Will I ever need to know this concept after I complete this class or course?", which is why I think some of the concepts taught in math are not necessary, but are taught anyways just because they are in the textbook.

Also, maybe if teachers didn't assign dozens (sometimes over a hundred) of problems every day for students to complete, (and then sometimes not even check or grade the homework), students would spend less time repeating the same concept over and over and more time learning new concepts.

So, do you think math is necessary?

Exodus

People need math to help them build/improve on critical thinking. I don't know about you, but students these days seriously need that since many struggle to make good judgements/decisions in life.

aceastrofan

The one and only...
As much as I hate saying this, yes, math is necessary. Math is in every career now, even if in basic forms. I personally am terrible at math, but it's really important to teach and not just ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.