language!!

Vary said:
This is a game geared for children between the ages of 8-14.
Vary said:
Also, because the game is geared for the children between 8-14,
Vary said:
That is a huge responsibility and trust between admin and the parents of the children who will be playing the game. That means filters.
That's more geared toward content within the game. However, there's no actual rating for this game. It's a matter of opinion what the target player demographic is for MMK/VMK. Even if this game had a rating, you can't rate online interactions. That's why on every single online capable game that exists it'll say "Online interactions not rated by ______," whoever. You can rate the game content itself, but not the player.

Chicknoodle said:
Man i dislike the conservative types.

Especially since this game is geared towards pre teens i hardly think using the "d" word or the "s" word will corrupt a child more than he or she is, get real. Now cybering is a whole different story LOL.

however i'm not advocating for them to not put a filter because this is "disney based" and the fan base is so overwhelmingly sheltered it isn't funny.
All i'm saying is i'd like the game only filter out swear words since we're in "desperate need" to keep it PG.
I don't know why I don't see more posts about things like this... personally, I think the game should become more mature and have more lax rules, I really do. Why? Because the game is being brought back for people who lost it over five years ago and are much older. I think having an age minimum or maybe having two separate games (register over a certain age you go into a game with more lax rules/less blocked language/kids your age and older and if you are under that age you get filtered into the more conservative game play) is something that should be considered... Having to write things like "tent" for ten and "in" for nine is beyond irritating now that we're older; I think a set of rules more suited for our age group may be in order. :)

Vary said:
Chicknoodle said:
Man i dislike the conservative types.
Thanks. Getting a bit personal and judge-y? My job is not to always be liked but to protect and provide a safe environment for my children. You are welcome to expose your children to whatever words you deem appropriate for them. And eight years old is hardly a pre-teen.

Why go to a site and try to turn it into something it never was intended to be? That would be like me going to let's say NeoPets or some adult site and expecting them to be appropriate for little kids.

Sending you some :cake: as a peace offering to help you maybe to be more open-minded to those with viewpoints that don't align with your own. It can be frustrating for conservative types too.
I didn't think he was being close-minded, but a lot of us are kind of irritated with this constant "the game is focused on 8-14 year olds" thing. Yes, I know the younger generation might find the game eventually, but I still think that this game was created for us, who are a lot older now, and the game should adjust to our more responsible and mature attitudes. And like the poster said, the fan base is beyond sheltered and a lot of times people who say there should be more lax rules get attacked for it. Look, I know protecting kids is important, but I also want a game where I can say certain things without getting filtered out. I'm seventeen, not eight, and a lot of people waiting for the game to open are a lot older than eight or nine years old. Just my opinion.

This is ridiculous the game is not for 8-14 year-olds anymore that was 5 years ago. If you have a problem with your children playing a game with a more relaxed filter then don't let them play. Kids 8 - 14 aren't exactly innocent these days. I say we should only protect against profanity and sexual themes, but not being able to have a normal conversation with someone is outrageous. I want to be able to go on MVMK and talk about the latest episode of Doctor Who or the new Podcast of Welcome to Night Vale without having to fear that I'm going to say something that the staff will misinterpret for something vulgar. The only words we need to block are profanity and that's it. Hopefully staff will be monitoring to make sure that the themes stay civil to the majority of users.

DGam'r

I remember on VMK you couldn't say most words. Now most games allow profanity for 8-14 year olds. But yea, probably profanity should be just blocked out. The rest shouldn't because it was ridiculous that you couldn't say most worst words that weren't profanity

Kiki

Also, keep in mind, this is a fan server. Those who control the code and server are welcome to do as they please. This is no longer a game run by Disney. I very much appreciate being asked my opinion in polls and through this forum, but I do not believe this is the place for pre adolescent children.
As Amy has publicly stated, she intends to open source the code. Then you will really see some eye opening versions of VMK.
If I wanted to provide a purely safe game environment for my children, this would not be the place. I'm sure the idea of introducing a game you love and missed so dearly to your own children is tempting, but perhaps you will have to come to terms with letting that plan go, or exploring an actual child-friendly title together. From my work experience, I'd be happy to recommend family friendly games with parental controls. Please PM if you'd be interested in a few titles to try :)

I hated not being able to say things on the original game! Although, looking back on it now it is very interesting to see how creative we all got as a community and how easy it was for everyone to pick up on the new words.

I agree were older now but new people of younger age will join.
I do think the filter on Vmk was way too strict so In solution I feel as if we need a less strict filter while still filtering out offensive words.
Numbers should be able to be said but block out numbers that could reference a telephone number. Saying your age isn't really a tmi thing.
Also names shouldn't really be blocked out but I know this is a problem because people could give out their facebook name.