Lower the in game strictness on menial things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been said this game is a retro game. The majority of the players are older than 16, so why are we being moderated like we're 8? I got a warning for saying "hella" in game. Hella has nothing to do with hell and even if i was saying hell, Hell isn't a bad word. I hate to use the bible as a guideline for what isn't or is okay but since the majority of you guys are Christians, then you know hell is in the bible. It isn't a cuss word so stop treating it as if it is. Another thing is, be fair. I'm around people who swear, cuss and cry like it's no tomorrow. I see players getting harassed, and they get a mere message saying "warning" like ten times over. That doesn't help the problem. I'm gonna equate this to prohibition or the war on drugs. You cops are spending too much time obsessing over the little things when you could be catching real criminals.

I say that we should have a blacklist of words, not a whitelist
^^^^ this, and please don't block out "hella" cmon now.

oh and here's the definition of hella as suggested i put in:
hella
hel/
informal
adverb
extremely (used for emphasis).
"I was hella mad"
determiner
a large amount or number of.
"those songs don't get hella airplay"

Foamy

I wouldn't categorize hella or hell as bad words. If you're getting warned for saying hella when there are other people in the room causing trouble there's definitely something wrong there.

Fiyero

Just a note: To many people, especially Christians, hell can be a bad word depending on how it's used.

Example: 'Go to hell' or 'what the hell' would be using them in a negative manner. But just talking about it as a place like "If you don't accept Jesus Christ, you will end up in hell" is alright.

It all depends on context, as with many things.

that's not the point here, i'm saying hella. "you all look hella cute" is what i said and i got a warning.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a note: To many people, especially Christians, hell can be a bad word depending on how it's used.

Example: 'Go to hell' or 'what the hell' would be using them in a negative manner. But just talking about it as a place like "If you don't accept Jesus Christ, you will end up in hell" is alright.

It all depends on context, as with many things.
telling someone they will end up in hell is pretty negative too. i meant in terms of "hell no" would be fine.

I know we all come from different places of though, different background, different levels of what we find acceptable, etc.

I disagree on 2 points. If somebody wants to cuss, go play Small Worlds. And there are 8 year olds that do play this game.

Fiyero

telling someone they will end up in hell is pretty negative too. i meant in terms of "hell no" would be fine.
I understand where you are coming from, but there are many people who consider 'hell no' offensive. I'm just giving you another point of view to you saying "I hate to use the bible as a guideline for what isn't or is okay but since the majority of you guys are Christians, then you know hell is in the bible. It isn't a cuss word so stop treating it as if it is."

I cant see an instance of hell no being offensive...

- - - Updated - - -

ANYWAY I DIGRESS,i dont care if hell is accepted or not. hella has nothing to do with hell okay? thats what im fighting for.

- - - Updated - - -

and they should be more involved which catching real swear words/people who harass others than picking on users for silly words like these. That's the gist of my argument.

iamabigdisfan

Whether a player is 8 or 108 rules and guidelines must be followed. Remember some people will be offended by others actions of words. Staff is only doing what they feel is the right thing to do.

Again, you're missing the point. :/ I'm more complaining about moderators taking sentences and warping it into an infraction than actually catching people who swear/harass other people often. I'm not naming names but it does happen and i'm sure others have seen it as well.

The way I see all rules involving language is the context in which it's being used. When people take things too serious (like they did in your case OP) I think it's bad judgement and a bad job of moderating. If I were a mod and I saw people cursing and swearing I honestly wouldn't care, why? Because it's how you use the language not the word itself. I laugh whenever I see people cry and complain about others using "inappropriate" language, that's all based off personal preference what someone finds inappropriate. The only thing that is universal is the application/intention of usage. IE: Using it to demean/flame someone OR simply express great disapproval.

The way I see all rules involving language is the context in which it's being used. When people take things too serious (like they did in your case OP) I think it's bad judgement and a bad job of moderating. If I were a mod and I saw people cursing and swearing I honestly wouldn't care, why? Because it's how you use the language not the word itself. I laugh whenever I see people cry and complain about others using "inappropriate" language, that's all based off personal preference what someone finds inappropriate. The only thing that is universal is the application/intention of usage. IE: Using it to demean/flame someone OR simply express great disapproval.
tbh in the OP, i was just simmering my actual beliefs on it down and trying to please as much of the majority as possible but i do agree with you 100 percent

For clarification: "hella" is mostly used meaning "a lot" or "very".
I think you should have used that approach instead of bringing
others religion into it because that just automatically becomes
touchy. If you have a problem with others actions you should
report if they are offensive to you or other players or not getting
a fair response.
As for the age, I think of it like buying jeans. The short people will
have to make due with the fact that their jeans don't fit perfectly
just in case there is a tall person that is the same size. This is
after all a replica of a Disney game and players don't want to
be surrounded by language they don't want to see whether it's small
like "hell" or something else.
But again, if you're not getting a fair response let them know what
is happening so they can rightfully punish people who are abusing the game.

-Cheetah

karkat

a fair response.

-Cheetah
why did u format ur post like that
why did u push enter in the middle of sentences
i dont
understand why you
did that could you
explains please

a fair response.

-Cheetah
Religion isnt touchy unless you make it so.
It isn't a replica disney game, it's a retro or an attempt to recreate it but you have a different player-base and different things incorporated into the game.
And yes thank you, i've pm'd a mod about my issues as well.

- - - Updated - - -

updated the OP with the meaning of hella~~~~

InaDaze

The Confused One.
I say that we should have a blacklist of words, not a whitelist
I would much prefer this. I mean come on I can't say class in game without it showing cl###, while for some reason classes is perfectly acceptable? (By the way chick if they were to blacklist 'hell' i think hella might turn out like this as well) :/

There's so many words I can't even say that I think are perfectly acceptable... Signatures are very difficult to do with all of these words banned. I would love to be able to say 'golf' in my signature but it's under the red-highlight and won't allow it. Also I would love for someone to explain to me why golf is even in this red highlight.

Also being from Northern California I heard hella ALOT and it's quite commonplace. I have never heard it used in any meaning that associates it with 'hell'. I don't see how this term could come even close to matching what 'hell' means.

Status
Not open for further replies.