Malware?

I have a quick question. When I try and access the game on the network of the University I'm at, it says it is blocked because there is malware in the program. I remember OVMK closed due to some controversy about this and Amy said that it was just something to do with flashplayer (if I remember correctly), so I'm inclined to believe that. Does anyone know exactly what this is?

I can, however, access it from the dorm wifi.

S

Solar

Well, it's not malware. I wish I could tell you exactly what's causing flags to go off, but I can assure you that the application is not malicious.

My guess is that it's probably the virus protection thing stupidly kicking in. Avast did this to me once when I tried to play VFK. It wouldn't let me on because it suspected a "Malware" when there never was one.

Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't actually malicious, but I'm just curious as to what makes it go off. I will try loading up VFK next time to see if it goes off as well. It'd be nice if Amy/Co. could pitch in on this, as I'm just curious.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
If it says you have a virus.. its because you picked it up elsewhere, not here. Viruses are most comonly picked up through emails, ads, and software addons you unknowingly download when installing a program you want.

Baka

Does it happen when you visit the site, or just the client? If it's just the client, it's because the network admin at your school blocks certain permissions from the Shockwave client. It's that little box that pops up asking to allow Shockwave to access, most likely, a temp folder on your computer for caching.

You could always ask the school about it, but they may or may not change anything.

If it says you have a virus.. its because you picked it up elsewhere, not here. Viruses are most comonly picked up through emails, ads, and software addons you unknowingly download when installing a program you want.
No, it said that it was coming from the client.

Thanks for your responses, though. I wouldn't ask the school about it, because it just doesn't mean that much to me, but I guess that they do have limits on shockwave probably for the exact reasons of people playing games? The perplexing part is that the dorms can play it.

Bird

MyVMKPal Webmaster Dev
No, it said that it was coming from the client.

Thanks for your responses, though. I wouldn't ask the school about it, because it just doesn't mean that much to me, but I guess that they do have limits on shockwave probably for the exact reasons of people playing games? The perplexing part is that the dorms can play it.
I think that makes sense with the theory you just presented.. No games during class..

Noelle

My computer gave me a warning about the site initially because it is not part of the "trusted community" yet. I clicked trust it and haven't had any issues since.