moving!

gravebound

not actually a grave
so im looking for some advice. i've moved a lot when i was younger, but of course my parents handled most of it and i don't remember much.
i've been living in a bad home for a while now, but tomorrow, the 8th, i'm gunna be headed out of here around 4:30pm est. i'm very nervous, but im excited, and ill be moving in with a friend of mine who is basically my big sister.

does anyone who's moved recently got some good tips, especially on how to cope with the change since im not the best at it? i know to take my ss card, my birth certificate, and my diploma, and my id. i got all that. i'm pretty much all packed up to go.

When I first moved out into my own apartment I was homesick for a long time after. It sort of comes in waves for a bit, at first you are excited to be off on your own but then you find yourself missing a lot of what you had back home. I have a huge family so I was always used to being home so I got very lonely when I went off on my own. Just know that if you get homesick that it DOES GET BETTER! Trust me, soon you will really love the independence you gain from being on your own. You will find yourself changing a bit, but it's okay, you're just becoming your own person as you learn about both the benefits and struggles of independence. You can do this! Don't be nervous! :)

gravebound

not actually a grave
thank you :bounce: ill take those words to heart. im afraid of being homesick, though, since there's not really much to be homesick about - but im very bad handling change, even if its for the better. so hopefully it won't be too bad...

kalyee

It's very important that you make your new space feel "homey" and comfortable when trying to avoid homesickness. Place items that remind you of home or make you feel safe all around, and decorate your space in a way that will make you feel at ease, and keep you happy when you're around.
Realizing that it takes time to adjust, and will be foreign to you for a while will take a lot of the pressure off. Life is full of change, and this sounds like it'll be a good one, so try to keep an open mind and go with the flow!

gravebound

not actually a grave
thank you ^_^ thats a good idea, ill be taking a lot of little things that mean a lot to me, so ill set them up around :bounce: my friend has already gotten me a couple pieces of furniture for my room as well, like a loft bed and skull rug.

i wonder if there's an opposite of claustrophobia btw, since for years now ive been used to spending most of my time in a room so small my twin bed takes up a literal half of it - and my room there is around the size of my current home. :amazed: