My Opinion on MVMK's Economy

Here's the economic issue in a nutshell:

Basically, the only source of money is timed rationing. Every 12 hours, you're doled out a few credits, and that's it. At least, that's what's supposed to be it. You've got people who clone to gain a competitive advantage. To some, this is tantamount to cheating, and it is the only method by which a player can get a competitive advantage.
Yes, VMK did have a cloning problem, but it was not the only way (and probably not even the best way) to gain an advantage. That's what minigames were for (particularly Pirates, I'm told). I can't criticize MyVMK for not having mini-games (it's too early), but I can criticize it for introducing rarity right now (because, again, it's too early).

What should be done is that items should not be retired until a few days after mini-games drop and cloning becomes not the only way to get an edge.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. By saying it obviously can't be re-released, I meant right now. If it were to be put back in the shop, right now, while the hysteria caused by it's removal is still fresh, it would make an already messed up economy even worse.
Sometimes throwing things off a bit brings them closer to equilibrium.

This is what real-world economic bubbles are all about. Governments preserve them, and it ends up being much worse for a bigger bubble to pop later than a smaller bubble to pop now.

^ This is what happens when you catch Thrill after he does some sort-of-economics-related reading.

LukeAndTheSpades

livin la dolce vita
it was the first rare hat that came to mind, and I forgot that we have more to work with than what VMK had
I suppose that what's already in can be kept in the game and not retired

however, I stand by nothing from beta being retired
i knew what you were meaning, i was just going along with your example. and really even if they were only using VMK's clothing/furniture/etc. they could still make MVMK have whatever rares they wanted but that's aside the point

so, why you think they should stay?

Ok.... seriously. Everyone needs to stop using the word "economy." The closest thing that exists to an "economy" in this game would be the discontinued/"rare" item trade. Why? Because value of discontinued/"rares" is determined by the player, street value. There's no tradable in-game currency, and we as players can't influence the shop price of ANY item.

The only negative affects on the "economy" you/I can have is if we buy a ton of items and just horde them, discontinued items. However, it's always hard to say what the actual number of said item is. I really don't see why anyone is freaking out right now anyways, it has been less than 72 hours since MVMK opened..... it takes a good long while for street prices to actual become respectable. Only many weeks and months from now when everything calms down will we all really be able to say anything about an "economy" in this game...
i get what you're saying, but unless you can tell me a better word, i'm sticking with economy.

i'm not meaning to freak out--honestly i think i'm being pretty rational (although i'm sure anyone would say that)--but what i'm criticizing is that with how Amy/Kevin/whoever is releasing and especially retiring items, the economy won't be ideal in the future.

i knew what you were meaning, i was just going along with your example. and really even if they were only using VMK's clothing/furniture/etc. they could still make MVMK have whatever rares they wanted but that's aside the point

so, why you think they should stay?

i get what you're saying, but unless you can tell me a better word, i'm sticking with economy.

i'm not meaning to freak out--honestly i think i'm being pretty rational (although i'm sure anyone would say that)--but what i'm criticizing is that with how Amy/Kevin/whoever is releasing and especially retiring items, the economy won't be ideal in the future.
I understand what you mean and I really can't think of another word myself. It's the mindset I know everyone has when using that word, the application it brings that I think most people get wrong. There's really nothing wrong with the way they're discontinuing items, in fact i'm quite pleased. The only thing I would have a problem with is if they were discontinuing items on a continuous basis instead of a one or two here and there every couple of weeks. The rare item trade is a big part of MVMK (or will be since it's so early it's hard to say what the street price of anything will be) and starting out early like this is how it begins. Albeit upsetting because a lot of people might have not had the chance to get the now discontinued item, but that's just the nature of rare trade and how it begins.

I'm in support of how Amy and the rest of the staff have been going about laying the foundation for rare trade in the future. If they start removing too many items from the catalog and not introducing new items to fill those spots, THAT is when i'll have a big issue. As of now, they seem to be taking it at a steady pace.

I understand what you mean and I really can't think of another word myself. It's the mindset I know everyone has when using that word, the application it brings that I think most people get wrong. There's really nothing wrong with the way they're discontinuing items, in fact i'm quite pleased. The only thing I would have a problem with is if they were discontinuing items on a continuous basis instead of a one or two here and there every couple of weeks. The rare item trade is a big part of MVMK (or will be since it's so early it's hard to say what the street price of anything will be) and starting out early like this is how it begins. Albeit upsetting because a lot of people might have not had the chance to get the now discontinued item, but that's just the nature of rare trade and how it begins.

I'm in support of how Amy and the rest of the staff have been going about laying the foundation for rare trade in the future. If they start removing too many items from the catalog and not introducing new items to fill those spots, THAT is when i'll have a big issue. As of now, they seem to be taking it at a steady pace.
Imagine how satisfying it'll be to be able to trade for a flip hat in a year or two!!! It'll be a huge accomplishment. Something to work towards! Now, not all items should be that rare, but in this one particular case it will be. This is how rare items are made, ladies and gentlemen.

LukeAndTheSpades

livin la dolce vita

sorry, i don't think i was clear in what i was saying. i don't think their pace is bad--releasing things for only a short period of time was certainly common on VMK, and it worked--however, i don't think now is the time to start making patterns because it's so early in the game. the only way to make money outside of Esmeralda/Yeti is the shells, and your only reliable, fast way of doing that is getting into Adventureland Bazaar or Captain's Quarters, which pretty much entirely relies on happening to click on them at the right time. honestly, just look at how insanely high-priced flip hats are. i know that now isn't a good time to determine their value, but until they're rereleased (assuming they are), i can only see it going up.